21' Sylvan Offshore Aluminum Outboard or conversion

doogymon

Cadet
Found a 21' Offshore at a good price but it has something I'm not familiar with (Pop had straight inboards) which is an Inboard/Outboard Mercruiser 3.0L. Can a guy convert to Outboard from 3.0L IB/OB and not mess up the geometry using a beam wide bracket?Thats if or when the IO gives me trouble?I prefer Outboards because there are no bellows that can split and sink your vessel. I'll eat the extra smell, noise and extra gas to not have to tinker with the 3.0L.
I just know that I'll be screwing around with the engine/outdrive (Alpha1) instead of fishing.
I know Sylvan Offshores appear as Starcraft Cabin clones but it seems like the Sylvan lines are a bit different to my liking.

Any pros cons to hull/cabin differences? :)

Cheers

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 21' Sylvan Offshore Aluminum Outboard or conversion

I believe you'll find a variety of opinions here on iboats regarding the conversion from an IO to an OB on a bracket. You'll hear some guys claim it changes the dynamics of the boat too much and is destined to fail. Others claim sliced bread like awesomeness. Do some searching and you may find some good discussions on the matter.

I definitely wrestled with that decision for my Islander project. In the end my budget dictated I run an IO (among other things).

Good luck and have fun!:)

doogymon

Cadet

I'm going to hold out for an Outboard (and a Galvanized trailer). I like the more modern cabin on the Sylvans compared to the StarChief/Chieftan but I am twitterpaited with Lapstrake Hulls so the Sylvan seems to marry both for me. Still I may go for a Starchief.

Do you know if the 21' Sylvan is indeed 1 foot shorter than the 22 or are folks rounding off? I'm trying to stay below 22'.

Cheers

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Tough to tell, rounding is pretty common on so many boats. You'd really need to to put a tape measure on it to know for sure.

Happy hunting!:)

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got a 22' Offshore and here in Canada they are pretty sticky with the correct info on the registration papers. Mine is listed as 6.7m long, that's just over 22'. Got to say, I really was looking for an Islander when I came across the Sylvan and don't reget buying an Offshore. Like you I'd always had OB,s and this is my first I/O, don't think I'll get another OB any time soon. Course, mine were all 2 strokes. Do the regular maintenance and that 3.0 is damn near bulletproof. If this 3.0 holds together anything like the 2.5 that was in my old Pontiac, it will never quit and I surely punished it.

doogymon

Cadet

Thanks Jas and Skyking

Maybe the I/O is the way to go with the GPH, cheap parts and a little premeditated maintenance.

Cheers

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can turn that boat into an outboard running fish killer quick and easy... I did it to my Sylvan 22ft. Offshore and I am thrilled!!
I am getting better fuel economy with a 140hp Suzuki then I did with the 140inboard outboard. I lost over 200lbs of weight in the stern
I gained 15 mph. It is quieter at speed hey the list goes on and on.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=516113&p=3480587#post3480587

Check it out. Its all there, if you have anyquestions let me know.... You must use an outboard with a 25 inch shaft NOT a 20...

WeldZilla