Redesigning engine cover on a Sylvan Offshore

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got a 1986 Sylvan Offshore 22 with a 3.0 I/O. My winter project is to redo the vinyl covered flat side and rear panels. The engine cover on the 3.0 extends quite far forward of the engine using up valuable floor space, about 12" past the engine. I know I could just shorten it but was hoping someone here might have a unique design. I'm hoping to make it shorter and narrower as well. The floor extends well inside the cover and I plan on using something other than the present carpet so my options are open. 99% of the time this boat is used for fishing and I'm looking for more room at the stern when downrigging. Anyone have some ideas?

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Redesigning engine cover on a Sylvan Offshore

Anyone??? Somebody must have some thoughts. How about a one piece cover like in an old van instead of the flip over clam shell?

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Redesigning engine cover on a Sylvan Offshore

Well, what I finally decided on was to just make the whole cover about 8" shorter and not bother with narrowing it because of the side seats which fit into it. I've also eliminated the hinges on the front which allowed the top half to flip forward for engine access. I always found this to be in the way when moving from side to side while working on the engine. Now the top half is pinnned to hold it in position and stainless latchs lock it down. I've also changed the top cushion to be snapped down so I can remove it and set my fish cooler in place instead of sitting on the floor. The cover is currently out to be upholstered and I will post pics when it returns.