2007 Sylvan 1600 Pro Sport

GENINC

Cadet
Hi,

I'm looking to possibly buy the on top mentioned boat with a 90hp Merc 2 stroke. Does anyone have experience with this particular boat or Sylvan as a manufacturer in general, as well as the engine? Can't find a whole lot of reviews or opinions on the boat, Sylvan or the engine on the net.

Appreciate any advice/ opinion.

Alex

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2007 Sylvan 1600 Pro Sport

I can only tell you what I have been told and have experienced. A lot of the same models look the same thruout the years with a different color scheme. The hull is double riveted and supposed to be very strong. I can tell you that my '78 Sea Master can be in the water all day and not get a DROP of water in it thru the hull. Quite honestly, I haven't removed my plug all summer, there is literally dust in the sump in the rear. The boat is stable and has been very solid, that says a lot after 33 years! My motor is '77 Merc 50 2 stroke, it had a problem back a lot of years ago and they put 1 piston in it. There are a whole lot of older Mercs still on the water today.

kitbone

Recruit
Re: 2007 Sylvan 1600 Pro Sport

I have a 1995 sylvan pro select 16ft with a 90 hp merc. the boat is great the engine is great. the only problem with mine is after 16 years of pounding waves some rivets have come loose. now it takes on a little bit of water nothing major. I would look into 4 strokes or the e-techs i have heard good things. The 2strokes are loud and tend to smoke a little.