What is it

melesprocnc

Recruit
I just bought a 18.5' Sylvan that had a 140 hp inboard which is gone now it has Rapala on the side of it what year is it what size of outboard can I safely convert to

jbcurt00

Staff member
Welcome to iboats

Conversion is more involved then removing the I/O, bolting on a pod/bracket and mounting an OB. Esp if you intend to cut the transom down and mount the OB w/out the pod or bracket.

IMO, a well done pod/bracket install on an 18.5ft aluminum boat will support a 140-150hp OB.

Why convert it from I/O if it's setup for that now.

Got pix?
Pix help
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum...pload-tutorial

And the HIN, which should be on the title/reg [but those also list the year], will tell you what year it is.
CN-hull-identification-number.jpg

www.HinDecoder.com

I suspect Rapala was the preferred brand of fishing lure of a previous owner, not the boat model. The seller couldn't tell you year and model?

What type of boat is it: Cuddy/Cabin/Open fishing/Center/Side console?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what does the title say it is. if you got it without a title or paperwork, you may have a yard-planter.

WILLOWBURN_GALLERY_boat-garden-1.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Same boat as the Starcraft Super Sport. Unfortunately I forget what Sylvan called them.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
HIN's are not like a VIN. A HIN only ID's the builder, serial number, model year, and build month/year in some cases. Here is your HIN decode. The parent company is Smoker Craft, the owners of Starcraft. The same model Starcraft is called SuperSport.

hin1.PNG

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
We had a boat like that (same color too). It had a 140 IO, and had no other name, that I recall, than Sylvan.

melesprocnc

Recruit
Thanks for every bodies help on this boat it's going to make a real good project boat for me

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last edited:

melesprocnc

Recruit
well the transom is cut to fit a long shaft motor the old wood was removed from the transom a welder is going to fill all the holes and we decided to put a backing plate full size of the transom 1/4" aluminium now I need to know how thick the wood should be after that. I want to put a 115-150hp motor on the back any help thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
The standard thickness for an outboard transom in that range is 1.5". Usually two sheet of 3/4" ply laminated together.