Model # and year needed?

bbeaudin

Recruit
Hi...I am a new boat owner and therefore new to this forum. I bought a Sylvan fish and ski aluminum open bow boat with walkthrough windshield. The owner sold it to me as a 1996 with no model #. The model number on the coast guard tag says, 17 SMB I am not able to find that model anywhere on the internet. Calling Sylvan (now Smokercraft) directly is useless....no one returns calls. The serial # is SYL 38614A888. I suspect it is older than 1996. Is anyone out there familiar enough to help me out? Thanks

Attachments

• boat 2.jpeg
    boat 2.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 0
  • boat.jpeg
    boat.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
What does the title say?

HIN Search results:

Success! SYL38614A888 is of the standard HIN type called Current-Format HIN. If you are buying this boat/craft then you should get the boat history and Boat Insurance from the BoatU.S. Program.

SYL HIN Decoder

Our HULL ID Decoder breaks down the Hull identification number into the following information:
The HIN or CIN you have entered meets the Current-Format HIN format. It might also be a type that contains the country code and thus the boat comes from USA or Other . The serial number of the HIN is 38614 and is set by the boat builder. This boat or vessel has a Certification Date of (8) and a Model Year of 1988 with month of build (January) based on the formatting of your hull_identification_number (HIN) .

The manufacturer identification code (MIC) of your craft identification number (CIN or HIN) is SYL. This MIC (SYL) stands for the company name Sylvan Marine which is currently In Business. This boat manufacturer has other company names (SYL sometimes goes by these name(s) Smoker Craft Inc, , , or .

This company (Sylvan Marine) is owned by David Frey and is located at PO BOX 65 in NEW PARIS state of IN. It manufactured this vessel and placed you HIN or CIN on the hull. The Parent Company for this boat maker is SMOKER CRAFT, INC. (SMK). Sylvan Marine has started making boats, yachts and other watercraft as of 08/03/1972 0:00.

Make sure to compare the date of boat manufacturing with the dates in which the company was actually in business.

The US Coast guard provides this comment about this watercraft manufacturer: Smoker Craft Mic: Smk 112586. Formerly John Graff 201 W Elm St Millersburg, In; 3/90 Address Change. Note: Starcraft (str), (mnx), & (plx) Share Some Resources With Smoker & Sylvan. 122805 Changed Oregon Phone Number..

More details at the US Coast Guard.

If you are purchasing this boat/hull then get the Boat History here or the BoatFax Report to complement it.

There are 0 boat Recalls for Sylvan Marine your vessel:

Sylvan Marine Boat Recalls for your HIN and MIC: 0.

Its a 1988

17 SMB? Is it a 17ftr?

bbeaudin

Recruit
It is a 17ftr...or more like 6'6"....the SMB is on the tag near the controls where the specs are for persons/weight/motor hp allowed. But thanks for all replies so far

bbeaudin

Recruit
There is no title. I'm up in Canada and the boat was brought up here from Minnesota about 5 or 6 years ago so the title is long gone. I can't find a right match on the Iboat specs page either?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Is it out of specs about an inch +/- or a lot, 5 or 6inches?

If it's close, +/- an inch or so, I'd go w/ that model.