Dead in the water

iamneo_

Cadet
Hi kids, and happy birthday to all who have one today. Question about drives. 1985 Sunrunner, Mercruiser I/O 3.0 140. A sad tale, written and directed by iamneo. Starring Iamneo and his mad wife.

So there I was. boating along at the lake yesterday, just trolling about 15 knots looking for a dock to land on. Turned into a cove and flipped a 180, went into nuetral, moved lever into forward and had nothing. tried reverse, nothing. No warning no indication of failure. Coupler at the flywheel is turning, shaft to outdrive is not. How big of job is this, and what am I going to be looking at inside the bell housing. I am a heavy equipment mechanic so the tools and aptitude for the repair are not an issue, just never been inside one of these before.

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Dead in the water

imagine iam if you will replacing the pressure plate on a straight drive auto or truck.bout the same situation.check the alignment on the motor and drive.something made this one fail.

iamneo_

Cadet
Re: Dead in the water

Hey Cannon, yeah I got the motor on the hook right now, just pulled it out of the boat today. twas no biggie. Just spendy.