1989 Sunrunner Ultra 302 hose connector?

irasng

Recruit
Hello all..I have recently purchased a beautiful Sunrunner Ultra 302. I'm a newbie to this kind of boat for sure and have so many questions that the manual doesn't cover. Here's one....there's a garden hose connector on the rear starboard side of the boat near the gas and waste receptacles...it connects to a hose on the inside (engine compartment) that looks like it should connect to the holding tank....currently it is not connected to anything. My question is what is it's purpose? I believe the water supply is filled at the bow of the boat....the only thing I can think of is it is supposed to be attached to the holding tank in and you would add water if the waste got sludgy? Also I have tried to pump water through but it seems clogged....any help is most appreciated!!

Louis Cadard

Cadet
Re: 1989 Sunrunner Ultra 302 hose connector?

Hello irasng, about your:

1989 Sunrunner Ultra 302 hose connector?

It's been a long time since, May 26th, 2010 09:38 PM

First & most important about:
["....the only thing I can think of is it is supposed to be attached to the holding tank in and you would add water if the waste got sludgy? Also I have tried to pump water through but it seems clogged....any help is most appreciated!!"]

Do NOT connect the fresh water to the holding tank ! That is called a cross connection, it would require a back flow preventer and could make you very sick. On my 1989 Sunrunner Ultra 302 I use the sea ****, which the top of the holding tank is below the water line, so salt water flows into to holding tank, and helps control odors & germs.

Second point, about :
["Also I have tried to pump water through but it seems clogged....any help is most appreciated!!"]

My 1989 Sunrunner Ultra 302 does not have any hose connection to the holding tank, I run the sea water through the plug in the top which is also a gauge for the tank level. I don't know what you could be connecting to.

Third thing about:
["Here's one....there's a garden hose connector on the rear starboard side of the boat near the gas and waste receptacles...it connects to a hose on the inside (engine compartment) that looks like it should connect to the holding tank....currently it is not connected to anything. My question is what is it's purpose?"]

On my 1989 Sunrunner Ultra it has only one factory hose connector and that is on the port side, on deck, above the engine compartment. Someone must have added yours that is in question. I also have a hose connection that someone added below deck in the engine compartment. My boat had an A/C unit added and installed under the cabin table. The hose connection back flows part of the cooling water for the A/C unit. Why they ran it all the way back to the engine compartment is beyond what I can understand. I'm going to remove it when I get a chance, as far as i know the engine compartment is required to be completely separate from the cabin because of CO2, gasoline vapors, etc. I hope the same clown didn't do the same type of thing to you.

Lastly about:
["I have recently purchased a beautiful Sunrunner Ultra 302. I'm a newbie to this kind of boat for sure and have so many questions that the manual doesn't cover."]

Your not a newbie any more, how is the boat working out for you? Also I have never seen the manual, is there a way I could get a copy? No one knows it all !

irasng

Recruit

Hey Louis! I just noticed that you replied! I thought this thread was dead a long time ago. Anyway I still haven't figured out why there's a hose connector there, maybe it's for hooking up when in a marina? I don't know. I'll have to take a few pics to show what I'm talking about. As far as the manual goes, it's buried somewhere in storage and if I find it I can copy it for you if you like. I don't imagine it will be of any use though, I know it wasn't for me. I love the boat and I am still trying to learn more about it. I have had the engines worked on and replaced the bellows. The person who had this before me neglected the boat and it cost me a few pennies to get her back running properly. Unfortunately the engines had to be pulled to completely fix! Ouch! But, I got a good deal on the boat and she's running great! I have a lot of work ahead of me to make her look better. There's extensive oxidation that I've been attacking with very good results, but it's a big boat so I'm slowly getting it done! The interior is in very good shape...I've replaced the toilet, the water heater, shower pump, and have yet to redo the wiring at the helm. I did remove the steps going into the cabin to see what was underneath, and I find an electrical box that I have no idea what it powers. Also a three prong cord that isn't plugged in....lol...and I'm thinking shouldn't this be plugged in to something? I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually! I also need to reupholster the seats but that seems like a major undertaking and I have no experience with that so it'll have to wait a while. All in all I think this is a very nice boat and we are enjoying here in Md on the Chesapeake bay. Would love to hear more about your boat! Peace...

riverrat89

Recruit

Irasng,

I have an '87 318.

I am also new to this forum, being a Sunrunner owner now for over a year. It sounds like Louis has much more technical and mechanical knowledge than I do. I will tell you, however, that the previous owner of my boat was in a marina that had water plumbed to each slip. That is what that hose connector on the port side is for. In fact, he rarely used the fresh water tank, as his family only took day trips on the river. He didn't want to use the water tank and have water sit in there for days and days at a time. I use the tank because we don't have water plumbed to the slip, so I am not even sure if there is a valve that separates the two (tank vs. inline). Of course, all of this is assuming that previous owners didn't make any after-market changes like Louis was referring to.

Also, that electrical box under the steps could be your battery charger. Mine is located in a small storage compartment by the steps outside the cabin.

For what it is worth...

irasng

Recruit

Hey there! Thanks for the reply. Yes that makes sense with the hose connector. The electrical box underneath the stairs still not sure....you are probably right but it still makes me go huh? When I plug into shore power, my batteries charge. Is this a different way to charge them? If so, I guess I could run an extension cord to it from somewhere as there's no outlet that the three prong cord reaches to. The more I learn, the better!! I am happy to say it's running fantastic....right now! LOL. Is your 318 31ft? It's strange that on my title it says 34ft and it's a 302.

Just spent about an hour with a mask and snorkel scraping barnacles off my outdrives. Yes I painted them with antifoul paint! Not happy about it but they are rampant this year. Not much on the boat thankfully. Peace..

stvwz

Cadet

Hi irasng!

I have an 88 302Ultra. I have a hose connector on the aft starboard side too. I have never used it, but I thought I read somewhere that it is a shore water connection for taking showers, so you dont use up all of your onboard water supply. I was hoping it was a washdown connector - oh well. We love our 302 also, love to see pictures!

steve

dond02576

Recruit

Hi Guys,

The hose connection that seems to be puzzeling everyone is for a direct connection to shore potable water. This is suppose to be plumbed so that you attach a garden hose to the dock water and leave the dock water supply turned on. When you turn on a faucet in the boat, the water comes from the shore supply and not out of the boats fresh water tank. This doesn't use the pressure pump on the boat to build water pressure and doesn't drain the battery. FYI there is suppose to be a pressure regulator built into the input connection on the boat that reduces the shore pressure down to about 30 PSI. This system works fine on my Sun Runner.

Don