Looking to Purchase 2001 Stingray 180LS

fxtech12110

Recruit
So I went to look at a 2001 StingRay 180RS boat today but I have a few concerns that I'm worried about.
Lets just say I'm not the most handy person in the Shed

The back seats were ripped and there are mold spots on the carpet and seats... did not look like he kept the cover on much.
The motor is a 3.0 L Mercruiser, it started right up and we took it on a test drive and had no problems with idling or getting up to full speed.
Boot has 117 hours on it, it doesn't sound like much for a 2001 boat.

The haul looked good for being docked all year.
I should say the purchase would not include a trailer.

That said he's asking $4750 for the boat.
Is this a good deal? Is there anything I should take a look at or be worried about.

Any help would be appreciated

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Looking to Purchase 2001 Stingray 180LS

Lets just say I'm not the most handy person in the Shed

The haul looked good for being docked all year.

I should say the purchase would not include a trailer.

That said he's asking $4750 for the boat.

Any help would be appreciated

The saying "the most handy tool in the shed" or "sharpest tool in the shed" which ever you prefer.

You typed 'haul' looked good . . . probably are referring to the 'hull' as looking good.

Check http://www.nadaguides.com for pricing information.

If the boat appeared to be uncovered or exposed to lots of moisture over its years, then you should check for structural rot, cracks, soft floors, etc. Where there is smoke, there is fire.

I hope this helps.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: Looking to Purchase 2001 Stingray 180LS

Firstly keep in mind that is quite literally the cheapest, lowest quality build, entry level 18 footer around...and without a trailer. These boats were dirt cheap for first time buyers whom tended to learn on them and move on with their knowledge of how not to treat a boat. It sounds to me as though you are buying a project but do not have the whererwithal to deal with a project. Unfortunately the hour gauge doesn't really matter and tends to defy common sense. In this case a 117 hour boat, you'd expect to look like it just rolled off the showroom not even 100 hours past the break in period. Frankly I'd be embarassed to have 117 hours on a boat and have it reflect such neglect. He must have never had the exra 6 minutes to put the cover on after each use. Clearly that is not the case with this particular boat. If for example there is even the slightest bit of soft spot on the floor, you are very possibly in for a full blown replacement as what you don't see is the problem. I don't know your budget but If it were me, I'd find someone that can truly give you an unbias look at the boat and let you know how much above that price you will be in for as even with a brand new boat, the price tag is just the price to get into the game.