Looking at a Stingray boat, wanted some clarification

eavega

Lieutenant
Hi All

I am on a quest to find an "upgrade" to my Yarcraft. A boat has come up that I want to check out, but its a long drive away and I wanted to go armed with as much information as possible.

I am looking at a 1984 Stingray SS 17' bowrider with a 170 HP V6. I looked on the stingray site, and didn't find reference to the 'SS" 17' bowrider, but I did see the sales brochure for 1984 Stingrays includes an SVB 175 which looks very similar to the picture of the boat I am looking to buy. The boat also came with a 170 HP V6 sterndrive motor.

So, to the questions:
1. is there a "SS" model of this boat, or would that have just been an indicator of the larger engine?
2. As I have been told to avoid OMC sterndrives, I was wondering if anyone knew what type of motor/outdrive would've come on these boats if equipped with a V6 170 HP motor?
3. Does anyone have an opinion as to reliability/durability of Stingrays of this era? I have browsed through the forums here and it seems that people have a high opinion of Stingray boats in general.
4. Does anyone know the weight/passenger capacity for this boat? One of the primary reasons I am upgrading the Yarcraft is to have room for more than just my wife and I and our two young kids (even if its just for another two people).

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I want to arm myself with as much information as possible to avoid any disappointments after the hour+ drive to look at this boat.

Rgds

eavega

Lieutenant
Re: Looking at a Stingray boat, wanted some clarification

Okay, a little more info from the seller. The boat, in fact, has a 170 HP inline-4, not the V-6. That would make it the Mercruiser 470 with an Alpha 1 outdrive (he tells me). Still looking for any opinions. Guy is not in a hurry to sell the boat, so he is going to be firm on his $1700 asking price. I figure he got the number directly from NADA "blue book" value for this boat. The seller has a lake house locally, so I would assume he is familiar with boats.

Any opinions or insights on this boat?

Rgds

eavega

Lieutenant

So, in the end, I picked up a 1988 Stingray SVB 176. The boat is in pristine condition, no dings, no abrasions on the hull, the motor looks clean, and it completely checked out. Very happy with my acquisition.

NewBoat.jpg

boltonranger

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, in the end, I picked up a 1988 Stingray SVB 176. The boat is in pristine condition, no dings, no abrasions on the hull, the motor looks clean, and it completely checked out. Very happy with my acquisition.

View attachment 165777

Very Nice looking boat Eric!
Congratulations.
I have the same boat in white..
Also the 470 motor which is certainly not the favored setup; but it is what it is.
3 questions...

Is the heat exchanger the 4" diameter one?

Have the water pump seals been replaced and
speedi-seals added to the camshaft?

Has the charging system been upgraded?

Your boat is very nice looking cosmetically,
Hope you enjoy it.
-br

Last edited:

eavega

Lieutenant

The 1988 176 SVB does not have the 470, but rather the 3.0 L I4, 130 HP.

The 1984 Stingray I was looking at did have the larger heat exchanger, and the charging system had been changed out. No indication of the shaft had been resleeved, but no indication of a coolant leak either

-E