New Stingray owner w/ pics

PMP

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys,

I am new on the forums here. I just picked up a 98 Stringray 190ls. The boat needs some love but I picked her up for super cheap. The owner said it didn't have motor or outdirve but when I got there the motor was there just all taken apart. 4.3 merc.

How do you all like your Stingray? Is there any good way to make a bigger wake?

I am going to rebuild this merc motor I have but if any of you come across a alpha1 gen 2 for a good deal with a 1.63 gear let me know so I can get this thing out on the water!

Thanks

Jason

160c96ef.jpg

8026c564.jpg

23e6c24c.jpg

89e89100.jpg

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New Stingray owner w/ pics

that motor looks pretty rough. Definitely gonna need a complete tear down and rebuild for sure. As for the outdrive, look into getting a SEI unit from this site. If I were you, I would post this in the Mercruiser I/O sterndrive forum on this site. You will get alot more responses. Here http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

As for liking my Stingray, I love it. I believe they are the fastest hulls when it comes to bow riders. I have a 180RX with a 3.0 mercruiser, and I've had it up to 48mph (GPS), with my 19" pitch SS prop. I wakeboard off the back, and have done so with 6 people onboard. I can only imagine it all the more powerful with a 4.3. Bigger wake? The best way is to get balast tanks, or sand bags.. Go to the wakeboard section, they can provide you with more info but for now, I would get it going first.

stopher

Seaman Apprentice

that is an ambitous project for a lake boat. cost out your time, parts, and ambition. you might find another boat for 2x the price and part that one out. if you've already gotten emotional, i'd recommend don't get emotional about the fix'n. Get emotional about the run'n.

PMP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that is an ambitous project for a lake boat. cost out your time, parts, and ambition. you might find another boat for 2x the price and part that one out. if you've already gotten emotional, i'd recommend don't get emotional about the fix'n. Get emotional about the run'n.

Hey guys sorry I didn't go into much detail. I build race cars for a living so motor on this will be rebuilt for about 350 in parts and about 4 hours of my time. Outdrive 1500 new aftermarket unit. I am going to reupholster the interior sometime to make it new but all in all I think I will be in the boat 2500 for a 7-10 k boat.

Please feel free to let me know things i might be missing.

Jason

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can't wait to see the finished product! Keep us posted.

PMP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been a while. Project is just starting to get going. Got a new SEI outdrive. Just picked up the engine from the machine shop. Going to build the motor this week end. Just got in the new carpet. New boat cover.

Things I still need before taking this out on the lake-
Prop
Rear engine mount
New Exhaust Risers

I will post up some pictures when I get to the installation of the parts

PMP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wanted to update with some pictures-

b9c03c30.jpg

e5c3f68d.jpg

b572a121.jpg

c0ea2d74.jpg

787fb43e.jpg

d675756b.jpg

PMP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here is some of the progress from today, The carpet looks amazing if I say so myself! First time doing it and it turned out great!

c4dc237c.jpg

450664ed.jpg

807fb389.jpg

87f3167a.jpg

dirtdevilnc

Cadet

Lookin good! Looks like you are on the right track, just getting everything you need in your hands to start any project is half the battle !

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sweet progress. Thanks for sharing the pics.

I will say that several people on the inside Stingray forum end up ripping out the carpet in the ski locker since it dries out so slowly. They seem to go with a bed liner type finish in there.

Hey, are you in the Stingray forum too? You just need your hull number to join.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You've got a very popular hull, and the 4.3 engine is great. And, it looks as if you really do good work.

Mercruiser engine work is not so different from automobiles. But they differ in that engine installation requires an alignment tool to align the motor with the outdrive. Without it, you'll eat the coupler the first turn you make with the boat.

Good luck!

PMP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lookin good! Looks like you are on the right track, just getting everything you need in your hands to start any project is half the battle !

I agree! In the automotive performance market eBay is horrible, However I have found it quite useful in tracking down little odds and ends I have needed.

Sweet progress. Thanks for sharing the pics.

I will say that several people on the inside Stingray forum end up ripping out the carpet in the ski locker since it dries out so slowly. They seem to go with a bed liner type finish in there.

Hey, are you in the Stingray forum too? You just need your hull number to join.

Bed liner eh? I will have to look into that. Where is the forum? link me!

You've got a very popular hull, and the 4.3 engine is great. And, it looks as if you really do good work.

Mercruiser engine work is not so different from automobiles. But they differ in that engine installation requires an alignment tool to align the motor with the outdrive. Without it, you'll eat the coupler the first turn you make with the boat.

Good luck!

To go with the 4.3 I just got a Edelbrock intake manifold and 600cfm carb. From what I read its good for about 30hp..

I assume you are talking about my newest tool-
08d98193.jpg

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Stingray has a link to their forum on their website. You will need your hull number to get in there.

http://www.stingrayboats.com/

People swear by the Edlebrock carb on these engines. Next time my carb needs to be rebuilt I might just spend the bucks to upgrade and get some extra HP out of it.

KirkDarch

Cadet

PMP... Looking for an update, did you ever get the project finished

PMP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PMP... Looking for an update, did you ever get the project finished

Yes and no.

The boat is running and runs great however there are some cosmetic fixes I have not finished yet. We take the boat out just about every other day and its a blast. Nothing lake racking up a few thousand bucks in gas.. We also added a tower for wake boarding that not only is awesome for wake boarding but makes the boat look so much better.

I will snag some pictures of the boat when I can.