Stingray Powerboat Owners

newwater

Recruit
Re: Stingray Powerboat Owners

I just bought a 1995 729ZP AKA cs240 with a 5.7 litre crate motor cant wait hope it starts I'll let you know

ib656

Seaman Apprentice

i own a 1999 190 rx and so far am pretty happy... this is our second season with it and although it does seem a little light for its size i am sure we will get used to it.

so far everything seems fine.

the 4.3 190 hp seems plenty powerful for our family of 5 and it is a sharp looking boat imo.

bbp42d

Recruit

i just bought a 99 181cs. has a 115 johnson and i love it!!! great boat for the $$$

stopher

Seaman Apprentice

i have a 1992 656zp with a 5.7 quadrajet 4bbl carb. it sings ! can go 8 hours on half tank of gas at 3-4mph to catch stripers ! IO is smooth, quiet, nonsmelly. can cruise at 40mph on a slow prop and 6 people.

tubind and skiing is good, but the OEM line is too low. perhaps an overhead that can also hold removable fishing stuff for the Chesapeake would be a good addition. handling is excellent.

trailering is great too...just the right size for my family !
minimal maintenance once you write up your annual maint plan.

my first boat....and craigslist ings don't show anything near as nice for the money

venton

Recruit
Stingray Powerboat Owners

I bought in 2008 a new Stingray 195 LS boat with a Volvo Penta 4,3 l (225 HP) engine, SX drive, via their Hungarian dealer. I had actually ordered a boat with a 3,0 l. motor but committed the mistake to ask the Dealer if he (she) was sure that this motor would be able to pull water ski. She did not miss the opportunity to sell me a boat with a 4,3 l. motol, (ca. 5000 USD price markup) as available with their shop near Metro, Budapest, saying that a 3,0 l. motor would be hardly able to pull water ski.

I use the boat in Greece and would say now that it makes sense to buy a 4,3 motor only if one intends to tow a parachute, or 2 skiers simultaneously. The boat is in general very good and it is a pleasure to drive it, however I can never drive at full open throttle when I have people inside, because they get scared and any unbound baggage proceds to fly away. Also the all-round stern lamp flew over board since I had not fixed the rod into the base correctly .

Obviously I have now the fastest boat in the bay, thanks to a smart dealer although it has never been my intention...

Only I am puzzled to see that the SS cup holders got rusty in 1 year !?! Obviously the manufaturer has implemented low-grade SS holders.

Good that I had odered an extended swim plattform befind.
Good also that I did not order this hull size with a cabin. I checked such a cabin at dealer's shop and my legs protruded far out of it.

The boat was originally equipped with a Mercruiser propeller that I just broke, hitting a rock, and now I expect to receive 2 Turning Point Legacy ALU propellers, (14.25 x 21 and 14.25 x 19). Will see how they will behave...

I would advise potential buyers to use this forum for consultations before they place an order. In general I am happy with this boat.

jayray1

Cadet

bought 2010 stingray 195lx trim up boat goes crazy dealer put sport tabs on it helped alittle any info will help cant get it past 55

stopher

Seaman Apprentice

i have a 1991-92 656zp 21.5 ft with an alpha1Gen2 and 5.7l thunderbolt rochester carbed v8 smallblock engine. Love it. Third owner. bought it with 220hours and have only put on 100 hours in 5 years.

i expect to double that next 1 year or 2 years.

on an aluminum 14" 21d 3 blade prop, we WOT w/o a tune at 45mph. i suspect we can push 50 if i worked it up, but it is a family ski, fish, runabout for the chesapeake bay.

i think it is the best value-performance ratio for the money.

454 is too big and a big block is weighty and sucks fuel.

would love a 25 ft deepV for the bay chop, but attentive quick zigZag at 25mph cruising gets the Stingray around that 2.5-3ft bay chop pretty well.

uglee

Cadet

We have an 2011 185 ls
goes fast on the trailer lol

Attachments

• SA401265.jpg
    SA401265.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 1
  • SA401267.jpg
    SA401267.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 1

uglee

Cadet

Hi PMP
:) I must whatch how I write things:)
I use a Jeep Liberty 3.7 tow her I would prefer a truck as the jeep has a short wheel base.
Its a mercurser 3.0 ltr 130hp engine with a Alpha 2 stern drive.
I have not opened her up yet as there are not many hours on her so far but looking forward to it :)