Stingray Powerboat Owners

Golfnomo

Recruit
Re: Stingray Powerboat Owners

I recently purchased an 03 240LR with 10 hours on it for a steal. My only dissapointment so far is the lack of a swim platform, but I plan to take care of that this offseason.

scvan66

Recruit

I own a 1987 Stingray 195ss the boat has been with me since new and has not once let me down.

rwidman

Lieutenant

I owned a 2002 Stingray 18' bowrider for a year. A great boat for the size and price. We traded up for a cabin cruiser and the Stingray that we looked at came in second to the boat we bought. Not because of quality or performance, but because of the deck layout, helm seat, anchor pulpit, and aft cabin. Things that mattered to me and my wife but not necessarily to someone else.<br /><br />Stingray has a great owners forum on the Internet with lots of participation including company staff. Post a problem or question and you get answers from people with your model boat or even the factory. I miss that. :(

WHY would someone BUY a 249 GlastroN?? when they could of gotten a 240CS StingRay w/ more Room, and Better Warranty,, I am REALLY Confused? Please explain, SINCE our New 2006 240 sleeps Five and has Shore Power and A/C!! Just wondering/ and PRICE>> $47,900. ?? NOW I am baffled?? BILL D. Ft. Myers, FL

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by DeliveryCaptain:<br /> WHY would someone BUY a 249 GlastroN?? when they could of gotten a 240CS StingRay w/ more Room, and Better Warranty,, I am REALLY Confused? Please explain, SINCE our New 2006 240 sleeps Five and has Shore Power and A/C!! Just wondering/ and PRICE>> $47,900. ?? NOW I am baffled?? BILL D. Ft. Myers, FL
Glad you asked. :) <br />I went to the boat show having researched the 240CS and in my mind, it was the boat to beat. The Glastron had a helm seat with a flip up bolster as opposed to the Stingray's bench style seat (I suffered a painfull back injury while sitting and driving the smaller Stingray so I was particularly concerned about being able to stand or lean while operating the boat). The Glastron had an anchor pulpit and roller, I don't recall the 240CS having one. The aft cabin on the 240CS had such a small entrance that one had to go all the way into the aft cabin and turn around to exit. My wife refused to even enter it. The Glastron had a solid transom door while the CS240 hade a wire gate. There may have been other issues that excape my mind at the present.<br /><br />Oddly, the Glastron dealer was willing to write a contract based on my word on the condition of my one year old Stingray trade in while the Stingray dealer who had sold me the boat in the first place a year ago would have required me to bring the boat in for an appraisal before quoting me a price.<br /><br />I wanted the Stingray to win out but in the final analysis, for us, it didn't.<br /><br />BTW: We looked at the equivalent Bayliner and other brands that slip my mind.

I was MOST curious about How much MORE> the Glastron was OVER The StingRay// SECOND.. It seems Kind of ODD> that a Dealer would not even give you an IDEA, of your Boat v. A NEW StingRay?? SHAME on them/ It seems to Me that When someone calls me, it is Very simple to Pick-up a BUC book, and Look up a Trade Value,, Even if I am WRONG, it stills Shows the Customer that I want to Earn his TRUST and His Business..Good for YOU on That Purchase..Your S.R. Guy in S.C. Must have Dropped the Ball, But Nice research on Your Part. Next Year, Jan. 2006 StingRay plans on Bigger 25CR>> to Replace Faults on 240CS..Hope we get better Interest on this ONE! Best of Luck on your New Boat; Bill D

rwidman

Lieutenant

I'm not sure now if it is a CS or a CR but it's the cabin cruiser model that compares with the Glastron GS249. The prices were comperable on both boats. Like I said, the Stingray dealer wouldn't give me a price "with trade" which is all that really matters.<br /><br />This was when I still lived in MD so it was the Stingray dealer near Baltimore and the (at the time) Glastron dealer near Annapolis.

SORRY, <br />BUT I think that Dealer did more to HURT StingRay then HELP!! It is Really a shame, since you are In S.C. and StingRay is made in Hartsville, SC It would have benefited StingRay to contact, Even after you Bought your Glastron- BUT best of luck with your New Boat> Un-REAL what some Dealers Fail to Do> Makes the rest of Us look Bad! Bill D. Ft. Myers, FL

FasterDaddy

Cadet

I own a 2000 180 RX 18 feet 135 mercruiser Stingray. I REALLY LIKE IT. Its fast, efficient reliable and fun. There are four of us and we tow it all over the country. It's our second Stingray, the first was a similiar boat made in 1984. Did I say fast and efficient on gas? It may be b/c of the "z" hull (the hull looks different from any other boat) or the fact that they tend to be a little bit lighter in weight than similarly sized other boats. They are not as smooth on really rough water, sometimes the waves can make a lot of noise. The original dealer we bought our 2000 from was a pain in the A$$ and we don't use him any more. Cool thing about Stingray Forum... you find out which dealers are not too good, and Stingray has skewered some of them as a result. Stingray's web site makes it easy to get advise and parts, which on 6 year old boat gets important. I found that we had more trouble with the trailer. than anything else. This was a dealer issue of course. The guy sold me a trailer that was only capable of carrying 20 lbs more than the empty weight of the boat and motor. Make sure you get a trailer that can take at least 500 lbs more than the boat weighs. The trailer was the only issue we've really had and we replaced it with a higher weight rating and with surge / disk brakes. Stingray make basically the same boat today and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. Sure I've got some ideas for improvements, which Stingray, thru its website, actively asks to hear about. Several of the suggestions made by us have made it into the current model. What more could you ask for, they make a good product and seem to care about what the buyer thinks about it.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Yes, a great website. You can access your boat (the actual one you bought) and get a parts list of what was installed at the factory as well as any available options. And as I said above, great boats.

2000 220 lx

I just purchased a 2000 Stingray 220LX with a 5.7 EFI Merc and 180 hours on it. Has anyone had good luck with this boat over the years? I bouth it on teh web and towed it all the way from Atlanta to Salt Lake City.

Had mine out once so far and loved the speed and performance with 4 adults and 4 kids aboard. It does seem to be a little rough in the chop, and a little cheap and basic compared to my 1997 Mariah Shabah 198. The Mariah was a very heavy boat with a 4.3 Litre that could not plan when pulling a 4 man tube. The Stingray is a much lighter boat for the size, but not sure how well it will hold up in the long run. They use generic guages, canvas and windshields, and amazingly enough no storage under the front center bow seat. Any feedback on long-term quality and durability of this boat, as mine is in perfect condition and plan to keep it for years.

govols019

Seaman

Is there a way to access the Stingray owners forum without actually owning a Stingray?

rainman240cs

Seaman Apprentice

yes you can access the web site as a visitor. go to stingrayboats.com and you will have limits but can post on the forum.

wsimp

Recruit

I have a 2005 Stingray 185 LX that my wife and I like alot, but we are considering trading it in for a Pontoon boat. We are retired now and would like something alittle bigger to better accomodate the kids and grandkids.
We bought it new in 2005 and it only has about 36 hours on it. It is in great shape but we are looking at some pontoon boats.

SeaRayViking

Seaman Apprentice

yes - just bought a 2000 190fx...and i'm desperately looking for an owners manual in pdf..You got one?