Am I the Only One?

mfgniagara

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Am I the Only One?

I have one of there campers. I have only seen a few while doing searches. ............

Got it for $300 from the second owner. Have used it quite a bit and if the boat quality is the same the should last forever.

I found these links in my search so far for info on my boat, since you have a pop up, maybe they will be of some interest.
http://www.popupportal.com/manuals/Steury/Steury Manual 1-2.pdf
http://www.popupportal.com/manuals/Steury/Steury Manual 2-2.pdf
They are the original manual for the Steury popup campers.

Swivelhart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Guy I bought it from modified the dash some and made it much more classic looking. So it will not be original. From what I heard Steury made very solid boats. here are some more pictures.

AsherBoat.jpg

DSC_3820.jpg

7.jpg

mfgniagara

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sharp looking boat, I wish the one I found was that clean.
My title says 1970, and I did find a tag on the transom today that says it's a V-415S model. There was a state assigned HIN sticker overtop of it.

The biggest two projects on mine will be the deck and the steering. I have a helm but want to salvage the original steering wheel. So far I've not even been able to get the center cap off the wheel. Its an older Attwood wheel, one I've not seen before. I'd hate to ruin it trying to get it apart.

I'm not sure what seats I'll use, but I do have a several seats here to choose from, I've got a set of gray back to back seats, and several pedestal seats on aluminum pedestals. If I do that, I'd have to really beef up the deck so it could hold a pedestal properly.

Attachments

• 415S.JPG
    415S.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 415S (1).JPG
    415S (1).JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 1

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Swivelhart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

These boats are really well built adn I am pretty sure yours is 70 or later because of the lapstrakes under the hull. Look at mine inthe picure and compare them to yours. Mine is a 68 and your right, finding good information about Steury is near impossible. I really like the deck design with the inserted stripes that resemble the old wood boats. Nice little details. Yours has a nice steering wheel.
I like the back to back seats myself, especially if you want to fold them down and snooze as the boat rocks abck and forth ( I got four kids so a little time on the lake is heavenly )

1.jpg

mfgniagara

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The bottom of mine has no strakes at all, the bottom is sort of concave just below the spray rail. It almost forms a pocket along both sides if you can picture what I mean. It almost begins to form a bit like a trihull on the side but returns to a rounded bottom at the rear. All those creases and curves make for a very strong boat.

I also own a similar MFG Niagara, after dealing with the MFG, I was surprised at how much wood was in this boat. The only wood in the MFG is in the transom and a 3/4" panel behind the driver's side dash to support the helm.
This boat has little tabs, sections of plywood, and 2x2" boards running under the bow deck, there's a single stringer of 3/4" plywood running down the keel, and a wood cored transom. Luckily the floor is the only wood that's bad. The transom is solid, no rot and no water damage. Someone apparently reglassed over the bad floor, while it appears to have preserved the stringers, the glass layer is too thin to support weight well. The floor is uneven and it sags over the stringer down the middle. It's rock solid if you walk on the dead center but if you step next to the seat boxes it flexes.
I plan to pull the old floor out, make sure the stringer is good and put in a new floor.

The one thing that surprised me is that this boat has no foam flotation at all, none anywhere that I can see. There's none under the floor, (Unless there's foam under that small floor area ahead of the foot rest panel?), there's none in the gunwales, none under the bow deck plate.
I also don't see any signs of where it may have been glued in or cut out before. I'm thinking of adding flotation to the inside of the gunwales and under the bow plate. I can cut a chunk of foam to fit under the bow behind the dash, and pour in foam into the gunwales. I'm not a big fan of having it in the floor unless its needed for support.

amizelle

Recruit

Here is an updated shot of my Steury Center Console. 1975 V518 Fisherman. I love my Steury.

I just purchased my Steury yesterday and am looking forward to restoring it. :D

It's not pretty but runs and rides great!

1002097.jpg

CougarBait

Cadet

3.jpg2.jpg4.jpg1.jpg5.jpg

Here is my 1968 15' Steury lapstrake runabout, powered by 40HP 1966 Evinrude Lark VIII. It was a Northern MI barn-find. Solid structurally and mechanically. A few cosmetic touch-ups and she will be ship-shape. On a side note, does anyone know what color Evinrude used by the '66 Lark VIII ? All the info that i have come across indicates "polychromatic blue", but a couple sources have indicated that it was "blue mist". The paint has obviously faded over time. Currently it does not look as dark as the polychromatic repaints i have seen and i have not seen an example of blue mist.

shorething2

Recruit

I own an 18' center console(1977) with a 1982 Johnson 115. It is a former law enforcement boat, and I traded my 15' Ashcraft for it. It was in rough shape, but is still very usable. It's stainless prop is well worn, but the boat jumps on plane very quickly and probably runs close to 40 as is. It will take rough seas in stride, and is a very dry boat. I am currently in the process of redoing the trailer, and hope to be back in tne water very soon. My budget is very limited, but I am very capable when it comes to fabrication and repair. I'll post some pics tomorrow. Andy

antidm

Recruit

I have a 1975 Steury cuddy cabin. I bought it in 1979 with an 80hp Mercury.
In 1984 I bought a new Evinrude 115 which is still on the boat. I have been using
the boat (which is in very good condition) on Great South Bay on Long Island for
32 years and will be going back in this Spring.

A.Hoj

Seaman Apprentice

I picked up this 1979 18' center console last spring. Took some time to get it clean and set up for offshore fishing. This boat is one of the best riding 18' boats I've ever been in. I take it off shore 10-12 miles each time I got out and it always gets me back. Been out 13 times since I bough it so far. It has a 90 hp Force motor that I'd like to upgrade to a 115 hp but until I have the funds it will have to work.

Anyone have any Idea what this boat weighs. I see a few other guys have this model also. Never saw one around here in NJ though.

Great boat!

-Andrew

P1060935.jpg

grasshopper4u

Recruit

Love your Steury. just got one just like her. I[m doing a little work to her and will post pic before and after. I would love to add top like the one you have.

pprussell

Cadet

View attachment 117909I wanted something to use for salmon fishing, up to about ten miles offshore in Northern California. I guy has this 1977 18.5 CC Steury for sale. Looks to be in great shape. A little concerned about water coming in over the transom when trolling slow in a following sea with downriggers. Is there a motor slop well on this model? I tried to post a pic here, hope it shows up.

neptuna

Cadet

i just recently acquired this boat and am pleased so far. its a 1978 with a merc 115. anxiously awaiting the opportunity to dunk it!

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 0

grasshopper4u

Recruit

Got this Steury for $400 with trailer and 1965 or 66 18h johnson seahorse.Started restoring it last summer 2011. Have most of the photos from start til where I am now. Has a little 18h tahotsu that work for now but would like to get a nice 40 or 50h on her. she handle really will. caught a lot of salmon with her since she has been seaworthy. It is my first boat and has been fun working on it.100_1605.jpg100_1633.jpg100_1645.jpg100_1668.jpg100_1671.jpg

Lord Agony

Recruit

I just bought my first boat 2 days ago. It is a Steury model v 416. Only information I could find out on the model number is it's either a 75 or 77. Hull is in good shape, no motor, needs a floor, and cosmetic work. I got the boat and trailer for $100. From the forum, it looks like a good investment. If anyone can tell me the style or make, that would be awesome and much appreciated. I have been searching for these past 2 days and not getting to far. My Boat.jpg

churchill129

Recruit

Got my first boat last week, 1964 Steury. Has two motors (a 35HP Viking, and a 9.9 Chrysler). I live on the water so i cant wait to try out the motors in bucket tomorrow to see if they run. Hopefully all is wel and I am fishing this weekend! Picked it up, trailer and all, for $250. I love the look of the boat, and I ve spend the last few days cleaner her up. If the motors go well, and she rides as well as I hear they do (from the small amount of owners out there) I may go for a full restore and have a sharp looking vintage boat.

My Boat.jpg

akaupp

Cadet

I picked up my first boat last Friday, it's a 1978 Steury X180 with a 1974 Chrysler 135h. I haven't been able to find much about this boat online. I found a postcard of one on eBay and one for sale back east on CL. Any info on this hull would be great. I picked this one up for $500 with motor and trailer, 3 extra props and a few other odds and ends.

I put new points in the motor and she purrs now. I plan to put it on the water today to check for leaks.