1978 Starcraft Chieftain... Wish me luck.

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
On my MC-1 the serial number was on the port side of the drive under the Mercruiser decal, just below the vent hole.

I'll check again tonight but I looked pretty close. There is a number on the flame arrestor... 3701296

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
A little confused... The hull number clearly shows the boat to be a 1978, but the motor serial number appears to be older. I'm trying to find a correct service manual and from what I'm finding the 3701296 serial number appears to be pre 1974???? Any thoughts?

My bad.... The hull number CLEARLY shows the boat to be a 1974.... Oops...

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
A little confused... The hull number clearly shows the boat to be a 1978, but the motor serial number appears to be older. I'm trying to find a correct service manual and from what I'm finding the 3701296 serial number appears to be pre 1974???? Any thoughts?

It is quite possible the motor and drive are older than the boat, StarCraft like other boat manufacturers will buy a truckload of motor drive units then use them till they have to reorder which could lead to what you are experiencing.

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
Split the drive unit over the weekend to inspect the water pump... Good thing, there was something living in there... Had to clean out a bunch of mud and egg carcasses. I'll be ordering the new water pump today.

Got the old powerplant fired up too! Put the hose in the water tube, stuck the gas line in a small gas can with a little gas in it, hit the key and she came to life!

Lots of wiring things to straighten out, the amount of lamp cord and home wiring is scary and there seems to be a dead short somewhere as nothing works and there is continuity between hot and ground on some of the accessories that I checked.

Not many pics, but here's a video of the initial firing...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That's great to have a good functioning motor that kicks right off. Sounded nice and smooth!

Yeah the wring on these old boats seems to always be a nightmare. I bought an anchor marine connector kit and a bunch of epoxy lined shrink tube to get mine under control.

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
Some of this looks like they cut the cords off the table lamp. I ordered a bunch of wire and a fuse block yesterday, better safe than sorry. Going to start taking the interior and floor apart this week. I'm still surprised how solid everything is.

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, looking for recommendations of plywood for the floor, etc. My head is spinning looking for marine plywood. It's amazing how many places try to sell CCA treated plywood as marine....

So, what thickness are you folks using for your flooring? I figured on using 1/2" for the sides and dog box but not sure if I need to go to 3/4" for the flooring...

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Ok, looking for recommendations of plywood for the floor, etc. My head is spinning looking for marine plywood. It's amazing how many places try to sell CCA treated plywood as marine....

So, what thickness are you folks using for your flooring? I figured on using 1/2" for the sides and dog box but not sure if I need to go to 3/4" for the flooring...
I have 1/2" ply on my Kingfisher. Very solid.

MNhunter1

Ensign

On a hull of your size, I'd be looking at 3/4" ACX ply, sealed with Spar and topped with Nautolux vinyl flooring. You can find the ACX ply at several of the big box stores...Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, just depends on who carries what at your location. You should be fine with the 1/2" for the sides and dog box.

I have 1/2" for my Nova, but it's a 15' hull with double z aluminum floor braces underneath. A girl your size needs a solid dance floor, but also be mindful of what the factory offering was and how any variation from stock will impact your side panel fitment, console height, windshield alignment, etc.

Watermann

You don't have to worry about anything not mating up due to ply thickness on your Chief. 3/4" is overkill in my book for your decking. It came factory with 1/2" marine grade. I put 1/2" decking in marine grade throughout my Chief and added some extra AL supports underneath but there still is some give to it but I weigh close to 260 so... If you cut the 2" flotation foam board just right it can also act as deck support. The seat boxes I made out of 3/4" ply and the sun deck I used 5/8" for the top.

Personally I won't use any ply other than marine grade for decking, it's so nice to work with being flat with no warp, no voids and 1/2" is 5 layers, the same as el cheapo 3/4" ply.

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
Found marine plywood at a yard in Erie! Guess I'll pick it up and go fish for a while.... Going to go with the 1/2" for the floor and pick up a sheet or two thicker for the seat frames etc. Thanks for the input...

Installed the new water pump last night. Not too bad of a job, the Cobra on my glasser is MUCH easier tho. Now if the kits just didn't have all the extra gaskets and o-rings...

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, got a dumb question... How in the heck do you get these screens out of these windows? I'm sure there's dirt or moss gumming up the works, but I can't even get close to getting them out... šŸ˜”

Watermann

You have screens on the cabin windows? Not seen that yet in the Chief rebuilds.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I agree with Watermann about using 1/2" plywood decking. I re-installed my original 1/2" plywood, but did add some additional aluminum bridging so there would be no fear of movement between adjacent sheets that might damage the floor covering. I also added more pop rivets after I took this picture of the underside. There is a slight give underfoot, but I maintain that's OK on a small boat, not an aircraft carrier. - Grandad

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
I'll get some pics of the screens for you, at least I'll be first at something, lol.

What type of wood was used for the support framework in the bow?

Watermann

Mine was pristine mahogany that only needed sanded and sealed with spar.

IMAG0855.jpg

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
Wow, that's some pretty stuff. Only have one bad piece from leaky window seals. Thought it may have been mahogany, I'll have to find a piece and hopefully get the old one out relatively intact...

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Agreed on the 1/2" being fine as it was oem. However, just a thought, a couple of friends have rebuilt theirs using 3/4" AC fir plywood. These are 19' fishing boats. The additional stiffness even though not an aircraft carrier is nice. Plus, the little bit of extra weight ( a disadvantage to some ) seems to settle these boats a little over stock due to the ballast factor. The weight is marginal, but nice in practice. Convinced me! One of them used 3/4" Advantech, heavier still, and I love the boat now, but I think I'll still use 3/4" AC fir in my Holiday 186. I think the Advantech will be great until it isn't, and then it will be a sudden disaster! IMHO.

On the other hand the Advantech floor is covered in pebble vinyl (nautiliex) and seems fine. The 3/4 AC floor was rolled with bedliner. Tis ugly, rough, and peeling, and the plywood is softening in spots. Plus pressure washing creates peeling. Convinces me nautiliex is a good idea too. Loving your project!

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
Been out of town on vacation then catching up at the office, time to get back to work on this hunk of tin. Should have all the title work out of the way tonight. Still haven't got the screens out of the windows, I'll post pics when I get a chance. Going to try to track down some wiring gremlins then may get her wet once before winter....

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry for the long lay off on this project, my dad was diagnosed with neuroendricrine cancer last May and lost his battle the first of September, still working on getting the estate settled and trying to get back to some form or "normal". So if anyone is interested in water front property along the Clarion River in Pennsylvania, let me know.

Trying to get back on the boat restoration, hope to have updates for you soon...