1978 Starcraft Chieftain... Wish me luck.

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
Brought this girl home with me last night. Pretty solid bones but the restoration will take a while...

Attachments

• photo225580.jpg
    photo225580.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 12
  • photo225581.jpg
    photo225581.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 12

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Inside, not so pretty....

Attachments

• photo225582.jpg
    photo225582.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 9

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Very nice! My wife and I really like the looks of that boat. Looking forward to following the restoration.

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
Gotta check out the mechanics first. Going to see if I can get her fired up this evening... (wishful thinking) Actually going to do battle with the wasps and start the cleaning process.

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 9

opsimath

Cadet
Bulldog,

Welcome! Nice Chieftain. Same year as my Starcraft. I am looking forward to watching your restoration. Although new to this forum I have already found it to be very supportive and helpful.

ops

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
My favorite vintage model! Congrats! I love that they have the galley up in the cockpit...very open feel. Good luck!

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Id like a jungle find like that one day! Looking foward to following along here!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to the DryDock, Bulldog.

Chemicalwire mentioned the galley. I'm afraid this one was on a vegetarian diet seeing all the greenery! :eek:

How big is the little girl? And a hardtop model, too - One of the rare sought after ones.

Good luck on firing up the motor.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I think it's the 25 Express.

nGwa1mf.jpg

This is the cockpit galley/dinette I referred to...pretty awesome layout:

ria02oT.jpg

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
There were more wasps than I anticipated so not much work done on her last night, I tried but the duckin and dodging was a little more than I could take. Hopefully I got them all sprayed and can get started this weekend.

I am having some issues with titles but hopefully that all gets straightened out, PA is such a pain in the butt. The trailer is a Holsclaw tandem axle that seems pretty heavy duty. Seller had a clear title but there were no weights listed on the title so they wouldn't transfer it unless I got a pic of the capacity plate. Uhhh, yeah, good luck finding a capacity plate on a vintage trailer that's sat in the weeds since 1997. Anybody here have a trailer like this with a visible capacity plate?

The price was right (almost embarrassed to say what I paid for it) but I hate dealing with the bureaucrats of stuff that should be simple...

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
Nice looking boat there chemicalwire, a little cleaner than this one ;-)... I wondered about the galley set up, didn't look factory to me, but I guess it is. Looks like I've got some research to do...

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
Hooked up the battery and connected my remote starter, hit the button and the old girl turned over freely! I was shocked, it's been sitting in the weeds for 20 years.

Clean out starts today...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the Starmada Bulldog!

You got yourself some serious work on that beautiful monster hunk of tin. The biggest of the big Chief.

So tell us more about the motor and drive. Before trying to start that hunk of iron up there's a bunch of things you should get done first. First off after sitting so long it's always a good thing to remove each spark plug and look it over for signs of water intrusion and shoot some fogging oil in on the rings so as to not have one stuck and damage them turning it over.

Looking forward to seeing some Chief action here in SC land!

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
Spent the afternoon yesterday cleaning out years of leaves, wasp nests and various types of flora. The floor is in better shape than I thought, still soft and needing replaces but not the mush I was expecting. I'll get some pics up tonight, I set off a couple bug bombs last night as I can't seem to find all the wasp nests and they continue to chase me out every so often. Hopefully that will fix 'em....

The transom is solid as a rock. It appears as though it was replaced not long before it was left to rest in the weeds.

The gentleman that I bought it from purchased the rig in 1996, took it to the Mercruiser dealer to be gone over and serviced then had them winterize it and put it up properly. The engine was fogged and outdrive serviced, may have also been when the transom was replaced. Shortly after purchasing the boat his father passed and rather than retiring he went back to work and the Chieftain was left for better days. Those days were not to come and he was diagnosed with Leukemia and has been doctoring for that the last couple of years. I was shocked that the engine turned over as easily as it did but will give it a thorough going through before firing it up. Need to get a few parts as the carburetor vent hose is mostly non existent and I'll tear the carb down and clean it well before bringing the old girl back to life. If all goes well I'm thinking of getting her wet before I get the real demo started. The key has disappeared over the years so I ordered a new switch from iBoats, the first of many parts to come I'm sure.

Have to say that this site is an inspiration, folks like Waterman and Dozer and their resto threads will continue to serve as not only an inspiration but as a source of information. I'm sure I'll be asking several questions as I add to that flat spot on my forehead....

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I am having some issues with titles but hopefully that all gets straightened out, PA is such a pain in the butt. The trailer is a Holsclaw tandem axle that seems pretty heavy duty. Seller had a clear title but there were no weights listed on the title so they wouldn't transfer it unless I got a pic of the capacity plate. Uhhh, yeah, good luck finding a capacity plate on a vintage trailer that's sat in the weeds since 1997. Anybody here have a trailer like this with a visible capacity plate?

I have a Holsclaw tandem that says 2700#'s, but this was from the original dealer I believe for my 18' boat. Yours is likely original as well and should have a higher capacity. I refurbished mine with paint, lights, tires, bearings and shocks. It's a great trailer...it rides much nicer than leaf spring trailers I've owned. Shoot me any questions you have about it and I may be able to give you answers.

I can send a photo of my plate, but that boat must be over 2700 with the inboard, right?

Last edited:

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
Trailer is in pretty good shape, I'll have to replace the little shocks but it rode surprisingly well considering the tires weren't exactly round after sitting for so long, lol. Have to say it was a relief to get it home after 50 miles with no plates and magnetic lights... Thanks for the reply, I'll let you know (or maybe someone here knows) what the weight of this rig is...

I'm still researching the weight of the boat but I don't think it's real heavy, couldn't really tell it was behind me but my truck is probably a little overkill for a tin boat... Ram 3500 Dually with the Cummins :)

I do plan on putting 13" or 14" tires on it after I get the boat sorted out. Those little tires seem kinda silly to me...

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Spent the afternoon yesterday cleaning out years of leaves, wasp nests and various types of flora. The floor is in better shape than I thought, still soft and needing replaces but not the mush I was expecting. I'll get some pics up tonight, I set off a couple bug bombs last night as I can't seem to find all the wasp nests and they continue to chase me out every so often. Hopefully that will fix 'em....

The transom is solid as a rock. It appears as though it was replaced not long before it was left to rest in the weeds.

The gentleman that I bought it from purchased the rig in 1996, took it to the Mercruiser dealer to be gone over and serviced then had them winterize it and put it up properly. The engine was fogged and outdrive serviced, may have also been when the transom was replaced. Shortly after purchasing the boat his father passed and rather than retiring he went back to work and the Chieftain was left for better days. Those days were not to come and he was diagnosed with Leukemia and has been doctoring for that the last couple of years. I was shocked that the engine turned over as easily as it did but will give it a thorough going through before firing it up. Need to get a few parts as the carburetor vent hose is mostly non existent and I'll tear the carb down and clean it well before bringing the old girl back to life. If all goes well I'm thinking of getting her wet before I get the real demo started. The key has disappeared over the years so I ordered a new switch from iBoats, the first of many parts to come I'm sure.

Have to say that this site is an inspiration, folks like Waterman and Dozer and their resto threads will continue to serve as not only an inspiration but as a source of information. I'm sure I'll be asking several questions as I add to that flat spot on my forehead....

Thanks for checking out my Chief restore and kind words. :happy:

So you know these boats rely heavily on the decking for structural integrity and the bigger the boat the more it relies on the decking. If you decide to run the boat with compromised decking it may cause damage you'll end up having to repair down the road. The 78 may have hull stiffeners added already but I'm not sure it would be a good idea even so.

Then there's the old OD bellows, gimbal bearing and dry ujoints. I know it's tough to fight the urge to hit the waves but without inspecting the OD parts you could have a massive leak back in the I/O transom assembly when running with 19 year old bellows. They're supposed to be replaced every 5 years even if the boat wasn't used they deteriorate. The I/O config has some serious challenges over the OB but they're an awesome setup once you get into them.

Could you post some pics of the motor and info on it. Since it's a MC OD, you won't want to fire off the motor on muffs with the old rubber impeller as it could frag out and plug up your cooling system. I would pull the leg off and put a garden hose in the water intake hole.

Just trying to help out with some of Mercruiser knowledge I've gathered. :)

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the insight... My IO experience is limited to OMC so the Merc is new to me. Never thought of the flooring adding structural integrity, guess I'll fight that urge. I have the alignment tool and puller for the gimble bearing so it won't be too bad to pull the leg and check everything out. The bellows is intact albeit a little stiff. Wouldn't be a bad idea to lube the ujoints before putting any stress on them. Definitely enough work to do already, I don't want to add to it...

The motor is the 165 horse inline 6 cylinder. I'll get lots of pics tonight of the drive system. Is that motor a GM or Ford powerplant?

Bulldog55

Seaman Apprentice
I'm a big fan of manuals too, I'll be looking for the Mercruiser manuals for this as well...