A funny thing happened today.......

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Time to start my "Need" and "Have" list for the boat.

Haves
1. Enough 3/4" marine plywood for a transom.
2. Floatation foam.
3. White marine vinyl (for interior panels)
4. Wire. (may have enough left) not sure.
5. Bilge pump.
6. Rivets. possibly enough.

Needs
1. Motor.
2. Steering (wheel and system). Could go either way Cable/Pulley or Rotary/Rack. Liked the cable/pulley on the Nassau (so easy and simple just need the parts, cable is cheap. Just need the steering wheel and drum set up.
3. Deck and covering.
4. Trailer (upgrade needed). Just missed out on a nice one, at good $ too. Also missed out on a Free glasser and trailer, too. I'm getting old and slow:grumpy:.
5. Paint. Left over paint is probably old, and not enough. Paint is cheap though.
6. Seats.
7. Plus any frills. locator, ect ect.
8. Would like to find a walkthrough windshield but not necessary. I can try to polish out the haze on the bubble style since its not broke.

Looks like I need to start selling junk on CL and Ebay again. I hate spending my real money. Don't have a lot junk left to sell though.
This is fun part about rebuilding these boats for me.:D

tgp***

Been busy w/work. Not much time to spend doing anything else. However, did some dis-assembly on that roached out trailer. Needs everything, not sure why I'm even bothering with it. Needs bearings, tires, rollers, wire, lights, winch rope, and paint. Kinda of neat tilt trailer frame though. So I started grinding on it. I need a free junk glasser and trailer to pop up on CL near me, I'm in need of some free parts:D.

Decker83

Commander
You did a fantastic job on cleaning up the trailer.. Looks new..:high5:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That's a studly trailer, Mr. T. Probably way more than needed for a Jupiter. What's the rating on the VIN tag? Could be $$$ for the rebuild cookie jar. :D

tgp***

Wow, 1st day home before 6pm in awhile.
the trailer is not that big. 12 inch 4 bolt tires. 4.80x12 tires.
Its going to be $$ to rehab it but should make an ok trailer. Would prefer 14 inch tires for towing, but we'll see how it turns out. Grinding all the old rusty paint and rust all paint is pain and time consuming. There's 5 keel rollers, and all the 2 inch diameter rollers ($50+ to put new ones on). Looking in to trying to mill off the oxydation layer on the gray 2" rollers. I give a try to save 50 bucks.

I feel bad the poor Holiday is getting no love at all. She's ready for another attempt at a "splash" but just have not had time. I've only been fishing once this year:grumpy:.
Summers flying by, and I'm working 10 and 11 hour days and working Saturdays. The admiral hurt her back so I've been picking extra duties at home too where I can. But she's on the mend so that's a good thing.

Ordered bearing kits from eTrailer. Good price for 1" axles only $12 + shipping. Might order the new tires w/rims from there too. $66 each - 5.30x12, b[FONT=open sans, helvetica, verdana, sans-serif]ias tire has a ply rating of 6 and a 1,045-lb maximum load at 80 psi. A little wider tire might track nicer.

Go Starcraft.......
[/FONT]

[FONT=open sans, helvetica, verdana, sans-serif] [/FONT]

tgp***

Should I worry about these axel spindels? The new bbearing does not appear loose when i slide it on. How tight should the fit be when I slide the bearings on?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The critical surface is where the grease seal rides on the spindle, how does that look?

tgp***

The critical surface is where the grease seal rides on the spindle, how does that look?
Appears ok. Seems like it makes a seal when I test slipped the seal over it. I'd like to clean it up a little w/ a fine emery paper, without really taking anything off hopefully.

GA_Boater

To me the seal surface looks rocky with some pitting. You might need a Speedi-Sleeve

spind.PNG

Here's a drawing showing how it all goes together with seal on the raised area. I grabbed a Super Lube drawing, but a regular spindle works the same way.

spind1.PNG

GA_Boater

Nope. Use some emery cloth to smooth the seal surface and the sleeve slides over the spot. The sleeve is very thin, so the seal fits with very little increased snugness.

Another type is a Seal Saver by Bearing Buddy. It's basically a cup that fits over the seal area and does the same thing, gives a smooth surface for the seal to ride.

Watermann

On my SN's trailer the spindles had bad grooves on each side and leaked quite a bit. So I filled the grooves with quick metal and sanded them baby bottom smooth. It's been on the road now almost 3 seasons and not one problem with leaking. The sleeves I priced out locally were 40 ea, the quick metal and emery was under 10. Just another option.

tgp***

Bearing Buddys Spindo Seal Kit look to a good deal. Seals for both spindles for $15.

tgp***

Wish I had some work I've done to the Jupiter to report, but haven't had time to even look at it, still need to finish the trailer first. And now I contemplating spending a 4 hours to go look at a parts motor.:crazy:. Identical parts motor to the 65' 60hp Evinrude (couple hours a way unfortunately). Just can't decide if I should stay with the Evinrude or not.Price is right. Looks to missing the alternator, otherwise complete. Need to bounce this hair brain idea off the Starmarda.

GA_Boater

Bearing Buddys Spindo Seal Kit look to a good deal. Seals for both spindles for $15.

The BB kit has an O-ring to keep grease and/or water from seeping between the cup and spindle. I saw that some recommend putting some silicone where the O-ring seals to stop that because sometimes the O-ring leaks.

Something on the Jonny has be to worth 122 bucks. Or less. :D

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Looks like a pretty decent parts motor for about $100, despite the 4hr drive, because you already have the motor to put the parts on.

My Admiral wouldn't agree :facepalm:

Good luck

Watermann

Since the prop shaft seal is wasted, I would have to wonder if it's a parts motor is because the goof kept running the motor with the gearcase full of water?

00b0b_cM2l2wv6im6_600x450.jpg

tgp***

Not sure I understand, how can you tell the prop shaft seal is wasted from the Craigslist ad?. There is no mention of it when I read the ad.

But if true. Then it would be a wasted trip.
The old Evinrude that I have already, has a weld on the lower unit. Was was hoping to find a little better unit, and use the one I have as the parts motor.
For 100 bucks and 4 hours, I'd at least like to get 1 runner out of two.