73 16' Starcraft SS restore

Huntersrun

Cadet
I found this forum and would like to post the restore I did from last year. It was just completed the beginning of this year.

Before pictures:
wBA897nl.jpg

udNSuRpl.jpg
16RJ4fXl.jpg
GoAt8t4l.jpg
i0af9j0l.jpg

Huntersrun

Cadet
Ripped everything out, its pretty icky

PevOQxRl.jpg

That's better.
5PDGDZNl.jpg

Putting the supports back in and giving more support to the front. I plan on putting in a 30 gal bait tank
LD9cnKRl.jpg

Got the trolling rail on the back. Thanks to my buddy Brian for the use of his garage so far!
EZ4IbsMl.jpg

New house, new garage, new decking! Marine plywood with glovit coating, don't think I will ever have to replace this.
b0AH52Ul.jpg

2hKTd69l.jpg

lgLg51Wl.jpg

Needed that extra support between these two.
s5AuKUGl.jpg

My only regret is carpet.
1cr2tPwl.jpg

I decided to do the very back where fuel and batteries go with aluminum because its a lot thinner than the plywood
FOIEcvhl.jpg

Everything in the boat, its now painted and consoles are being leveled for the new windshields I picked up.
UZRPknHl.jpg

Windshields look good. Railing and holders are also on i this pic.
tjMp9a9l.jpg

Better view of the holders. You can also see the LED lights on the edges of the inside. They are red with 1 white in the rear.
nFazgeCl.jpg

17wWbt7l.jpg

Front deck being built, I also decided to go with aluminum deck up front so I had to build some more support.
5CQgGiyl.jpg

libARi8l.jpg

Battery box is built.
cOd3dzrl.jpg

Front deck is cut and everything fits! I did this 3 pieces, one in the front and two on each sides of the doors. Its VERY sturdy.
zrhVV7ul.jpg

Painted and battery box is installed. I wanted it to roll out for easy access.
bSWO76Ml.jpg

Better view of battery box.
Xf6cbOAl.jpg

That's it for these pictures.. I Just picked this baby up today! 21' Starcraft Mariner w/ 90hp merc. little sister for scale.
More pictures to come!
L31DWofl.jpg

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Awesome work! I really like how you did the aluminum decks and battery tray! Nicely done Hunter!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Welcome to the Starmada Hunter! :welcome:

You definitely got off on the right foot! Lots of :photo:!

Heck of a Fishin' Machine right there! :thumb:

Did you use gluvit on all of the marine plywood? That might be the most expensive deck in Starmada history! :lol: For the 21' look into either U.S. composites 3:1 epoxy/hardener & glass cloth or simply spar varnish.

It doesn't appear as though you replaced the transom...if you've read enough restoration threads, it's the common denominator. Even if they feel "solid", they weaken over time losing structural integrity. The knee-brace & splashwell bare the brunt of it resulting in cracks. Something to think about for the next off season...when of course you're taking a break from the 21 foot MONSTA! :madgrin:

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Really nice ideas there! I like the roll out battery box. Great work

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to the Starmada. Hard to tell it's the same boat looking at the before and after pics. Nice job on the battery tray, :thumb: And you doubled down with the Mariner. :D

Huntersrun

Cadet
Welcome to the Starmada Hunter! :welcome:

You definitely got off on the right foot! Lots of :photo:!

Heck of a Fishin' Machine right there! :thumb:

Did you use gluvit on all of the marine plywood? That might be the most expensive deck in Starmada history! :lol: For the 21' look into either U.S. composites 3:1 epoxy/hardener & glass cloth or simply spar varnish.

It doesn't appear as though you replaced the transom...if you've read enough restoration threads, it's the common denominator. Even if they feel "solid", they weaken over time losing structural integrity. The knee-brace & splashwell bare the brunt of it resulting in cracks. Something to think about for the next off season...when of course you're taking a break from the 21 foot MONSTA! :madgrin:

Thanks everyone!
Yea I used the extra gluvit from the plywood to do all the rivets and leaky places on the boat. It was enough to do it all.
The Transom is very solid, we actually replaced that a few years ago. We looked over the transom when I moved it here, it was some pressure treated wood my dad put on... I did read it contained copper but this may have been before they started adding it? It did not appear to be damaging the aluminum on the back.

Thanks for the tips!

So we checked out the Transom on the 21 and it appears to be very solid too but we will look into getting it replaced before we do hard fishing with it.

I opened up the lower unit on the 90 merc and this came out, it looks milky to me but wanted some opinions.

p2bZIV9l.jpg

UGBq1Vvl.jpg

Also we had to transport it off the boat in the back of the truck, when we lifted it out and put it on the transom there was oil coming out of one of the holes in the lower unit. Could it be a bad seal?

lKyXLM7l.jpg

Last edited:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Nice work on the SS. You should rip that PT transom out ASAP. You won't see any damage until there are literally holes in the transom skin.

Does the LU leak smell like gear oil or engine oil?

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Oh, I just looked at the pic again and it looks like gear oil. The LU should be sealed tight, so you've got a bad one somewhere. I bet the Merc forum will have an answer for you. The milkiness would also be a symptom of a bad seal. As long as the water/oil hasn't separated you likely won't have gear damage or corrosion.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to iboats and the Starmada Hunter!

Lot's going on here with the most popular Starcraft, the super cool SS. :thumb:

You have another job ahead of you I see with that milky LU oil. One of the jobs I had to do on my OB when I restored the Sea Nymph. You'll need to replace both the prop shaft and driveshaft seals so you won't have to worry about it in the future. I know some will say pressure test the LU and just replace what's leaking but the seals on the other end from the current leaker won't be far behind.

Post up an overall photo of your SS when you get a chance.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
regarding the pressure treated wood...are you referring to the inner 1.5" laminated wood or the outer slab used for the motor? Regardless...and I am sorry to say this...but chem is right...it will knaw clear through the transom skin. If its the inner 1.5" laminated wood, we've seen the z-channel, knee brace and bilge area rot out...a horror show that could result in a trip to the scrap yard. Sorry for the bad news!!

Huntersrun

Cadet
Thanks guys,
I asked my dad and the transom on the 16 ss was replaced back in 04-05. He did use the green wood from the hardware store...it does not appear to have any holes or white powder anywhere. Probably something Ill have to look into soon.

Huntersrun

Cadet
:welcome: to iboats and the Starmada Hunter!

Lot's going on here with the most popular Starcraft, the super cool SS. :thumb:

You have another job ahead of you I see with that milky LU oil. One of the jobs I had to do on my OB when I restored the Sea Nymph. You'll need to replace both the prop shaft and driveshaft seals so you won't have to worry about it in the future. I know some will say pressure test the LU and just replace what's leaking but the seals on the other end from the current leaker won't be far behind.

Post up an overall photo of your SS when you get a chance.

Yea I had the same problem with the 70 rude on my 16ft, it was milky and I did a pressure test to find the leak. Replaced all the seals in LU. Looks like this 90 will need it done as well. :)