Steering cable mount?

Abenoit

Cadet
Ok guys. so I screwed up. During demo I remember cutting off some kind of mount that held the steering cable in place in the splashwell. It was rusted on so I had no choice but to cut it off.
Well fast forward and I finally have the motor back on and ran the steering cable to the splashwell and I have no way to keep it in place. Anyone have any idea if they sell mounts or brackets for this or something I can easily fabricate?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are you talking about one of these?
1-sa27055p_0.jpg
or
216-s39_2.gif

Get 'em here - http://www.iboats.com/Search/dm/?ke...it.y=0&cart_id=130545627&session_id=736905851

Abenoit

Cadet
That's pretty much it. Am I seeing correctly that that is pretty much about a $100 part? Seems very steep for something like that.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Nothing is cheap on a boat, Abe. :blue: If you search around and find a better price, iboats will price match.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Shoot me a PM if you're still in need. Might have an old one laying around

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
huh. Didn't even think about needing that for my little project. I don't have one on the donor boat, what does it do?

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Holds the end of the steering cable at a fixed point as an anchor. Otherwise the whole cable will flex when you turn the wheel.

You only need one if the outboard doesnt have a tilt tube. Screwing the cable onto the tilt tube creates a fixed anchor to hold the outer steering cable sheath so the inner cable can slide in and out to actuate the motor.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok cool I looked at the donor boat and didn't see one so thats what I was thinking.