74 Starcraft Holiday resto

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah Bill I think water is the most detrimental thing to the wood transom so sealing it well is the main thing and not letting the boat fill with water for 5 or 6 months through the winter. The latter is what happens most of the time with boat transoms and rots them out.

Gluvit would be a good sealer although I've not seen anyone use it for transom wood. I sealed mine, primered and painted it with 3 coats of tractor paint and then put spar on all the edges and key hole after that. Covering the inside of the exposed transom wood with AL is IMHO a very good idea. Having a piece of AL on the outside where the transom skin is already serving that purpose seems a bit redundant and of little help though.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here is something interesting that I found when I googled Hydrotek www.wolstenholme.com/plywood-products/marine-plywood/hydrotek/ it appears that I stumbled upon some very good material for boat building... actually I found many good reads about this Hydrotek I am now thinking that I should have used this for the flooring... the weight is about the same as the 1/4 inch diamond plate...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Why did the writing change in the last post... have I broken another rule... I am getting that same feeling as when the Nuns at grade school were calling my name.. WILLIAM!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Why did the writing change in the last post... have I broken another rule... I am getting that same feeling as when the Nuns at grade school were calling my name.. WILLIAM!!!

I don't know why it changed, perhaps you accidently highlighted some of it and hit the italics icon....

As far as I can tell you've not done anything wrong, other then some covert formatting/typos ;)

If you copied that info from another website, the cut/paste may have also grabbed some formatting code, and since there's a

cached
similar

hot link at the bottom of it, I think that's the more likely cause.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well the transom came out great... I dropped it in and as I planned there is 1/6th inch all around... I plan to Glu-vit and will see how much to clad it in 1/32cnd aluminum... I found a new tin knocker... local masons and carpenters say he is pricy but his work is perfect or even better... I spoke with him by phone and he seemed resonable to me, so i will also bring along my splashwell and see what he says about a rehab... thanks for all the encouragement and input... all is welcomed... photo's to follow... all my best... Bill

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hope the tin bender works out. He could be a valuable resource.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry for being gone so long... Life took an unexpected left turn... do not fret... all is good... so this is the third coat of Gluvit... Both sides and edges... apply, let dry for 3 to 4 days, sand, apply tac rag, apply another coat, dry, sand etc... this stuff is like steel, fantastic seal and supposed to be somewhat flexable... I will let this dry for 4 or 5 days and finish the other side and edges... had to order another kit... I used the little left over(not enough to do the other side) to seal the rear transom aluminum... I am hopeing that it will stop the decay from the old silicon... This thing weighs a ton... I will take it to the tin knocker to be wrapped then install... what I learned about the gluvit... try to mix to the specs as best you can but it does not seem to matter if you are a little off if you let it dry for 3 or more days... Stir the crap out of it when mixing, at least 2 minutes but the more you stir it the better it floats and levels off... I truly believe that if this was used on the floor and you could protect the plywood from the suns UV rays it would last and last, and last much longer than without it... only time will tell...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have purchased paint but am not sure if I will attempt to apply the paint myself or not... I will do the prep work and whatever priming it will need... I need to get the boat on its side so that I can blow out all the ribs, nooks and crannies... the drain from the bow of the boat to the stern in the middle of the bottom is very small and easily clogged... so I will get it as free from everything as I can and get the floor down... I found great outdoor carpet with some sort of permiable backing at lowes... its been some time since I found it and do not remember the name, but I can order it to size 72" wide by the yard long...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am still contemplating what to do with the million holes in the guwales... fill them or put 1/32 aluminum over the entire gunwale... also I am looking for high quality stainless to replace the old cleats, lights and whatever else was on there... I have yet to see anything to my liking... seems to be alot of crap out there... man, to think about it I have a ton of work to do... I need to spend some $13,000.00 on motors and fishing equiptment, so I am in no real rush... whatever I get done this year is gravy... I want to buy the motors during the off season(this winter) and have them along with the controls installed by spring... so I will be doing my best to get as much as I can done befor winter and just shove the boat into the garage for the winter...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have purchased all the new stuff for the trailor and have recieved it... I may take a day soon and get that done... I am really tired of the deconstruction and want to get at the construction aspect of this build... Well... its back to the grind(day job I mean)... all my best to you-all... Bill

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Question... where on the boat should the bottom paint stop... By the way... this is what the transom looked like before the Gluvit... I would like to have put this pic in the previous post but can not figure out how to edit...

Watermann

Most of us have stopped with the bottom paint at the seam below the spray rail there's a nice edge there to tape up to.

IMAG1289.jpg

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Skid im still following, just dont post much. I cant wait to see you complete this craft! A lot of these guys just have more experience than me with your restore questions. Ill be following along.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Fella's... tell me... On a 16 foot Holiday, with plenty of paint already there... if I rough the old paint up, how much paint would I need to do the bottom??? Also if I stay in fresh water do I need the anti-fouling paint?

Watermann

I tried leaving the paint on the bottom of my SN. The new paint stayed on for about 2 months and then started peeling off so I wontt be doing that again.

No SC resto in my memory has used bottom paint, just the same stuff as the topside.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
What stripper is the best at stripping and which is the easiest to work with and clean up... Once I use stripper and wash with soap and water, do I have to do the polishing thing... does anyone suggest leaving the bottom bare, and if so what technique did you use... I have put some Gluvit on the stern area inside rivits and it turned a little yellow... I wounder if that might be a good bottom paint... also can you paint over Gluvit... Mr. WaterMan... That is a fine job... Is that primer paint , if so who's did you use...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
l Really do want to paint the boat white and feel that it is probably best to strip all the red paint to do so... does anyone disagree with my judgement or have an alternate opinion... can anyone tell me what this is???

64osby

Admiral
If Gluvit will be exposed to UV rays it needs to be painted. It will break down if not covered. Not a product to be used on the exterior of the hull.

Are you doing anything with the pitted aluminum on the transom skin?