74 Starcraft Holiday resto

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great Job Rob... Now I remember seeing this... This is what I need to do... If you had to do it all over, knowing what you know now, would you change anything... such as thickness of stock, shape of of stock, fasteners, size and stock... is there anything about this repair that you think about, worry about, happy about... My starboard side is intact... do you suggest that I do a similar repair on that side also? it looks pretty flimsy to me...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Everyone... what can I use to neuturalize the effects of the silicon... some type of wash would be good... as the boat sits in the weather I can see that the cleaned areas are showing some white residue...

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Hardware stores have a silicone remover. That should work for getting solid remnants off.

FWIW I think silicone is a bad idea other than maybe for residential door and window manufacturing... There are so many better products out there like 3M 5200, less expensive polyurethane caulking from the hardware store, butyl products, and even sometimes the 'lex ell' type family of things called "High Tech Sealant at ACE. I don't think silicone of any type is very structural and I'd just use something better like the polyurethane caulking. My personal favorite..

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Forgot my question! Any thoughts about filling the airspace in the side panels with foam? I am thinking of doing that on my Holiday 186 but can't see where anyone has done that.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Mark... what I am interested in is filling any void so that water cannot get into the wood transom area, mostly under the gunwale corner covers... I plan to use the 5200 to skim coat the aluminum transom backer due to the pitting from the old silicon calking... I talked to 3M and they told me that the new silcon II does not produce this acid while curing... I intend to prime the entire area before installing the transom... I believe that I read a thread here somewhere where someone placed flotation behind those pannels... all my best... thanks again for your thoughts... SkidRow Bill

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Forgot my question! Any thoughts about filling the airspace in the side panels with foam? I am thinking of doing that on my Holiday 186 but can't see where anyone has done that.

I filled mine. I didn't feel the need to use more expensive foam in the sides above the water level since I figured it could never become saturated. I cut it on a long angle to cram as much as possible in the available space. Details in the thread in my signature. - Grandad

Last edited:

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Hey Bill, I'm happy with my repair and would do it the same way again. I've seen some who have managed to get a bucking bar in the knee brace and used solid rivets, but between the rivets, stainless bolts and JB weld, I'm very confident in my fix. It may not look the prettiest, but its hidden and I know it's strong.

As for filling the side voids between the hull and inner wall... my ss had foam in there when I tore it apart, I replaced it with pool noodles, crammed them in there as much as I could.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
I filled mine. I didn't feel the need to use more expensive foam in the sides above the water level since I figured it could never become saturated. I cut it on a long angle to cram as much as possible in the available space. Details in the thread in my signature.]

Thanks! I'll read that later as I will be 'stuck' for about two hours later this morning

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I feel that I have let you guys down haveing been away for so long... I could lay the heavy rap but I will just say that family life has throwed a wrench in the works... Let us move on... so I tackled the transom today... this is the 3/4 marente that I paid $120.00 for

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
here are a couple more tools of this trade... C clamps and angle Iron... the flat stock diamond plate is left over from my truck bed cover... the jack is for weight...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I stole two hours today... I will complete the transom tommorrow... I have cut both pieces and am very happy with the results... I will be using Tite Bond III... the directions say to lay down a heavy spread of glue??? I intend to lay down a thin layer and let it lay, clamped to death for two or more days... if anyone feels that this is a bad idea please let me know... I am wondering why we do not use liquid nails??? Also I have recieved the Star Board... 1/2 inch stock 12X27...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
More tommorrow with a little luck... Hope the rain don't hurt the rubarb... all my best... BillyBoy

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I wonder... is that 5200 between each ply... ???

Nope those are all plys with waterproof glue in between them. Most marine ply is 7 layer, that stuff looks like 12 or 13 layers to it. Man it's some beautiful stuff with no voids and the finish is amazing! :thumb:

64osby

Admiral
IMO the Tite Bond is a much better product for this application. I have seen LN that dries up becomes brittle and it cracks over long periods.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here we go... this is what I used I used this very stiff brush to clean any loose crap from the plywood, then attacked it with the tack cloth... the rollers are 9 inch 1/4 inch nap made from something expensive $10 bucks each... then I rolled on 3/4s of the titebond III and put the two haves together... clamped the crap out of it and will let it sit for 2 days... and whallaah

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeh Osby... another thing that I liked about the Titebond III is that it remains flexable... It rolled on sweet with no issues at all... poured glue onto the wood, loaded the roller, and it layed out perfectly... poured on more, rolled, then more, rolled... by this time it was getting white(thicker) poured and rolled again making sure that everywhere was covered on both pieces, then slapped them together... very happy...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I could not be happier with the plywood... unless of course it was free...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do you guys think it to be a good Idea to coat the entire wood with the Glu-vit... the final thickness is 1 3/8s so I can clad the whole thing in aluminum which I intend to do also... in my opinion the UV sun is probably the most detrimental aspect of weathering... I am thinking if I can keep this transom from the sun that it will last much longer than