74 Starcraft Holiday resto

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I purchased this boat(16 ft Holiday by Starcraft) fall of 2014... rolled it into the garage... began searching for info about resto... Today I am a great fan of IBoats... the "tore my transom" thread is my favorite... so far I have removed the rotted floor and millions of water soaked flotation beads, near 200 LBS... also removed the interior side walls(which cleaned up like new) I filled the old girl with water and to my suprise not even one leak, I was most surprised after seeing the TMT thread... now I have wire brushed everything inside under the water line and have recieved the Gluvit... I have purchased the #2 closed cell insulating foam, 6 one inch and 2 two inch all 2X8... I am considering the MDO and the HDO if I can find it for the flooring(thoughts please) I am considering wrapping the flooring in ice and watter shield for preservation(thoughts please)... I need to replace the transom wood and am considering the HDO and also the poured transom from Arjay found here http://www.arjaytech.com/ My problem right now is the windshield... mine is held on by pop rivits with rounded caps on the outside between the gasket and the windshield frame... I have not seen a post with this configuration, only the T bolts, so now I am confused.. Please Help Me... I need to understand what I am dealing with and can I get the proper parts to reinstall the windshield... thanks for listening... All My Best... Bill from Maine PS... I know that you all want pictures and I have them but I am not sure that they will post due to file size, but am working on it...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the iboats forum Bill!

I'm always up for a holly resto. She's 16', gutted and water tight so I guess we'll wait to see for ourselves when you get some pics up.The best way for pics here is a free photobucket account, upload pics, on right side of screen click IMG and paste the link in your thread.

I don't know anything about the water shield stuff and have only used marine plywood for decking. The pour in transom has been talked about around the forum but I don't know of any tin boats that it's been used in so you may be the first if you go that route.

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Welcome Bill! Sounds like you have a good start on your project!

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks... I have moved forward on the photo's I need to do 3 posts before I can upload... See them soon I hope... Photo bucket just showed 30 empty boxes... Not sure whats up with that...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Its miracle... I went to photo bucket and they are there... let me try to get the windshield up... crap... file is too big... now what? well here is another try... the very thick frontal lobe is messing me up... I used the #3 on the tutorial... should I use another technique?

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
so this is the flange/gasket/attachment that is riveted to the deck... I will add a picture from under the bow showing the rivets

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
back to the first pic you can see that some of the rivets have a solid head but not all... I would like to remove this windshield but am not sure that I will be able to replace it properly. what do you suggest... have you seen this application before... I have 12 of the T bolts in stainless...

Watermann

Well I can only offer one suggestion DRILL baby DRILL! If you can't get to the rivet heads to drill them out then use a chisel to knock the bucktails off. You''l be able to get the windshield back on, no problem.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank You... I will have no problem removing the rivets with a dremel cutting wheel... are there photo's of this gasket... how does the gasket attach to the windshield... is this a permanent attachment or can the gasket be removed from the windshield... can I change the installation by useing the T bolts instead of the rivets.. I have read that others have replaced the gasket with a make-shift gasket... does that meen that the T bolts attach to the windshield frame? any and all information will be most appreciated... all my best... Bill in Maine

Watermann

The windshield seal is made of vinyl and is not permanent. Once the windshield is off then you'll be able to see if it has the channel for the t bolts. I had to replace my windshield seal because it was rotten and brittle

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
ooopps... that is what will tow my little baby when it is done... I was thinking that I might color coordinate... what do you think about 76 ford crusher orange from the rub rail up??? or should I keep it original... I will be mostly fishing in this boat so the red bottom has to go... probably white...

dozerII

Admiral
Great looking Holiday project Bill, the windshield attachment is different than most by the looks of it. Once you remove it you will be able to check the underside for a track/channel for the Tbolts to go in, it should not be visible from the front. I use black foam weather stripping tape in the 1/2" x 3/16" size for a gasket under my windshields.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
other issues that I have to deal with... the transom... here are some pics... you will see the inside of the transome wood also note the top right transom brace is missing its ataching flange which will need attention...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
here is the inside upper wood and the problem area on the starboard gunwhale/transom area

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
YeeHaah... the price came back... 3/16 aluminum diamond plate.. one 4'X12' plus one 4'X8' $664.14 ... that is cheaper than I could do Marine plywood and expoxy and the rest... it is done... diamond plate it is... when I saw the guy on this forum do his I thought to myself WOAH he has much more moolaar than I can afford but as it turns out the diamond plate is less expensive... I will have to build it up to 1/2 inch... The left over should be enough to cap the center joists...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the input... I guess that I am going ahead and will remove the windshield... I pray that this does not turn into a fiasco... the screws(about 1/4 inch long) in the windshield frame are all rusted in but one... you can see the missing screw hole in the outside front winshield pic.. is this how the frame comes apart??? also I will be painting the top bow, gunwhales, and splash well... do you suggest that I remove all the surounding rub rail or is it worth the effort... how about the splash well? one side of the splash well towards the inside of the boat where it attaches to the inside of the gunwhale has broken off and will need repair... can a tin knocker whip one of these splash wells up for a reasonable price??? any problems that I should know about with any of what I am about to do along with the way I am about to go about it...

Watermann

Just be happy you only have 1 windshield to deal with. :lol: Don't sweat the windshield it will come out just fine.

Most the guys are pretty silent on the AL decking ideas that come along. Not sure where you're at that ply is so expensive but here 3 sheets of 1/2" marine ply is $165.00 and the cost of sealing it depends on what you use, spar would be less than 40 with epoxy around 80?. Covering is a wash because if you don't put something on that AL deck you're going to have the equivalent to a roasting pan for a boat out on the lake in the mid day sun. The next issue is supporting the AL deck, you'll need to add supports every foot to keep it from being like a trampoline. AL is tough to cut too, trust me I know. The AL DP is heavy, 1/4" weighs in over 110# a sheet and 3/4" ply is 75#.

The only positive I can see is AL doesn't rot if neglected like wood will.

Last edited: