1981 Starcraft Super Sport 180 - Gonna try a Restore

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
very nice! I'm glad you found something that worked well for you! I'd give er a good scrub down with dish soap and water after, then pressure wash it all good. That ought to get rid of the leftover oils.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
very nice! I'm glad you found something that worked well for you! I'd give er a good scrub down with dish soap and water after, then pressure wash it all good. That ought to get rid of the leftover oils.

Good idea, I will definately do that. Thanks Rob.

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

the overall winner by a mile was carb cleaner

Berryman B-12 Chemtool works very good on paint. I use it sometimes to clean up overspray but it makes my hands go numb after a while using it...

Attachments

• photo224236.png
    photo224236.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 1

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
but it makes my hands go numb after a while using it...

Ya, that stuff probably isn't very good for your skin. That's why I'm wearing nitrile gloves when working with the carb cleaner. Your option would probably have been a bit cheaper since you can get it in large cans.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Halfway done polishing the bottom I'll post pics later but have a question about plywood. I scored 5 sheets of 5/8" exterior fir today for free but it is sheating grade so cc in American grade I guess. Will it be fine to use this on the floor if I plan on sealing it with spar varnish and covering with marine vinyl? I also got a couple sheets of 1/2" select grade, not sure if that's ac or bc.

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Free floor??? I'd use it, like you say, you're going to cover it anyways. If it's really rough, run your sander over it if you want, but I'd just use it. Nice score.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
I probably will use it Rob unless the consensus is that I shouldn't. I lucked out, a buddy is starting a business and the bay he is leasing had a ton of wood left behind. It was all used for shelving and such but in great shape. Unfortunately one of his contractors got a bunch before I got there. Judging from the few good one side pieces left he probably made off with the best stuff.

Got the boat polished, its not a stellar job but its only the bottom which I don't plan on keeping a mirror shine on anyway. The sides I will try to bring up to Dozer standards next spring when I paint. On the list for tomorrow is go and find solid rivets and get the missing ones replaces , boat flipped and leak test.

View attachment y4mE4Yb7DW8V0cRWZk7MJQpLZCKVPtklamQsdpp0cDqZzIwfVqsL973msWxYvmj-jj73FplPaRYYFAsYCQvqlWE3xxjp0cBiLhxX

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
If it's got a lot of missing knots in either face, I'd fill them w/ an epoxy filler, not bondo. Unsanded is going to be more difficult to seal well, and I don't know if the rough texture will prevent good adherence of the vinyl and glue.

CC grade plywood may have quite a bit of voids in the core veneers. Only way to know is to cut into a sheet and hope you cut thru a void so it'll be exposed along an edge, so you can fill it too.

Plywood grading
plywood-grades.jpg

And make sure it's EXTERIOR grade plywood, not interior.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks jb...it's definately exterior fir, every sheet has the stamps on it. They are 4' x 6'4" tongue and groove. There aren't very many knots in it and I've haven't seen any voids on the cut ends. The plywood is fairly smooth but definately not sanded. I would only use it for my deck, the transom will get the good stuff. From what I see on the plywood grades even the best has c inner plys so this stufg shouldn't be as far as inner voids go, or am I reading that wrong.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Carb Cleaner did the trick! Really nice!! :thumb:

20150703_204633.jpg

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
So today I got the boat back on the trailer. In the process of flipping back over it I kinda lost control of it and ended up banging into the shelf that my new boat seats were on. One of the seats fell off of the top shelf and hit the corner of a 2x4 that was on the ground, now I have a nice 2" tear in the top of the seat back :mad-new:!
On a better note, I got my knee brace fixed up. I used 1.5 x 1.5 x 1/8 inch structural angle aluminum which I bolted to the brace with ss #10 machine bolts and nylock nuts. I also lathered a bunch of JB Weld between the aluminum and the knee brace and smeared it around the holes to avoid galvanic corrosion. I extended the bracket so I can add one more bolt per side so it reaches further up the transom.
I've given up on trying to source solid rivets and I dont want to wait for mail order so I'm going to use the same machine screws on my missing rivets, which is only 7 anyways. I will use 5200 with the machine screws and I'm think I will use them to put the knee brace and z bracket back on as well.

Here's how I lined up the angle aluminum, I screwed the knee brace to the work top to get everything lined up and then clamped the angle bracket. I then drilled all the 3/16th holes and took it apart, jb weld and re-assembled it. It worked slick as snot.

View attachment y4mhziEdUOsCqgwEWduUkq-oTN6CqJYUEDfk1nfh76hjMClxQ4-_pgBFW6Hnseu5sEadxlz5KEttS1_5CMZakpEPSye_pKiCPcLY

Attachments

• y4mP1AN9f1U0QQy1NlUsSpha4GwaLPls07OAg2ct1GCjUky7c92TYj20RX-4Uu0TcITTgrW3DLV78JCnCAXL38RbteB-qcVQaPDw
    93 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey there's nothing wrong with using SS machine screws and nylocs. Just be sure to use them with 5200 to seal and protect against the dissimilar metal corrosion. The reason solid rivets are desirable is that you don't need to worry about sealing them as they swell to seal and of course the cost is huge for SS.

Decker83

Commander
Glad to see you figured out the paint removal. The bottom of the hull looks great..
The knee brace should hold up very well.. Nice progress..

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Decker. Last few days I've gotten the missing rivets replaced, z bracket mounted, leak test and bucked the 11 leaking rivets and gluvit on all of the seems and rivets.

Now I have to keep the admiral happy and get back to my hardwood flooring and baseboards. Hopefully get that done in the next couple weeks then get in some camping. Then some scouting for hunting season, fishing trip out in BC, range time and then hunting season. Not a lot of time to dedicate to the boat until December now, unless I tag out early. Hopefully I will get a bit of time here and there. I'll be sure to post up anything I get done between now and then. Have a great summer fellas and k?p up the good work on those restos.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Well, its been a few weeks but I managed to get the baseboards and trim done in the house, my rotten RV floor cut out and replaced and my wifes car bumper replaced so I had some time this weekend to get back into the hangar.

I cut my floor out and got it to fit nice and got the first coat of spar on the wood. My Nautolex arrives tomorrow but won't be ready for it quite yet. I have decided to lay the floor and cover it in one shot instead of wrapping each panel. The ply I have is T&G and I left them on so wrapping each one isn't going to work. I think that will make the floor stronger at the joint and I'll make sure to seal up the joint water tight once it's all fastened in. I thinned my spar 25% for the first coat and man did that plywood ever suck that in like a sponge. Couldn't even tell it was varnished once it dried. Anyway, Here are the pics.

Here it is right after I applied the varnish, you can already see dry spots.

View attachment y4mf970u1j2aXeAatamRLfARAjmdHTSvksOoUXXzFy2ez36IWG5f9xV6ICn-B4jH0pFlyAOqs5q-8M4mhHQXjgbkgODAXy57lhIHView attachment y4mDhbZMYWEm08nvrEvZtRTa6ZVWsxRxykSYZFCjKrdlb_CRDVZW4pNN809lurbZuq2d1fPdRjoIrvMaTOcfHAuENbuXSr96Oh0m

Last edited:

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Thought I'd post a few pics of last Thursdays storm here in Calgary. There was a nervous moment or two when the alert stated that it was on path for my neighborhood but the funnel cloud disappeared before it got there. I guess it touched down on the reserve and just south of the city. I took these pics from work.

This one was the start.

dozerII

Admiral
Making great progress Rob, Calgary has had some real nasty weather this summer fore sure.