1981 Starcraft Super Sport 180 - Gonna try a Restore

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
looks great candutch, I see you used sharkhide vinyl on your rail, really like it and am wondering what adhesive you used on the aluminum, and did you remove the trim pieces and then adhere vinyl or how did you go about it, and are you happy with it?

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for stopping in fellas. I'll have to look into that vinyl paint Rob, very interesting.
CC, I actually only used nautolex on the floors and a few other spots. The gunnels, bow and side panels are all covered in dura deck, it's pretty much the same thing though. I used heavy duty LePage contact cement to adhere to the aluminum, it's not water based so seems to be sticking good so far. It's the stuff that comes in a gallon can. I tried the spray can stuff in some hard to reach spots but I wasn't very happy with that.
I removed all of the trim and put the vinyl down, it's the only way to get a nice clean edge IMO.
Will have to see how it holds up to real use if I ever get this splashed.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
image_283718.jpg So today I got the top installed. I had to hack up the frame a bit to get it to fit but I'm happy with the result. The window doesn't line up at the sides but for 50 bucks I ain't complaining. Next year I'll find someone that can cut and sew that and my side curtains to fit.
I also changed the plugs to proper champion marine plugs hoping that would cure the hot water coming from the tell tale, no luck.
I've searched the Internet and it seems that some say it's normal on the Johnnyrude v4s and others say it's bad. Dies anybody here have a 90s era Johnny rude that can chime in? Thanks. Click image for larger version  Name:	image_283719.jpg Views:	1 Size:	111.7 KB ID:	10530002

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You did a water pump kit right? Also to complete the cooling system maintenance you should replace the T stats and poppets if your model has the poppets, I can't remember now. My old Merc TOP has taken up way too many brain cells and I've forgotten much about Johhnyrudes.

On the vinyl paint, I saw that GreenHoliday in his thread test the stuff out and has some pics on the thread.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...ay-restoration

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
You did a water pump kit right? Also to complete the cooling system maintenance you should replace the T stats and poppets if your model has the poppets, I can't remember now. My old Merc TOP has taken up way too many brain cells and I've forgotten much about Johhnyrudes.

On the vinyl paint, I saw that GreenHoliday in his thread test the stuff out and has some pics on the thread.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...ay-restoration

No, I haven't done the water pump kit yet. I wanted to make sure the engine wasn't dead before I spent money on it. Guess I was kinda hoping everything would be working. Good news is it fires up right away. Guess I'll have to order a water pump kit. I got a manual so I'll pull and test the thermostats first and check compression, I don't want to spend money on new stats if I don't have to.
Thanks for the link Rob, that paint looks really good.

Watermann

One thing you could do is when you have the LU off and remove the t stats, back flush the cooling system and make sure it free flows. Peace of mind then and you know that nothing is keeping the water from flowing in the powerhead.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
That sounds like a plan Rob. Did some backyard diagnostics today and found that the thermostats weren't opening. I tried them in hot water and then ran the engine without them installed and it never got hot. The tell tale was terribly weak as well. So I ordered a new water pump kit and thermostats, hope that will do the trick.
Good news on the compression test, all cylinders are at 120psi yippee!
Cleaned up and painted the ski pole as well and decided I would fix the hole with an ss machine bolt and 5200 for now, I really don't want to pull up the front deck so soon, I just want to get it on the water. When winter rolls around I will fix it properly.View attachment y4mJPaZ6zFRot5gN9anoV_dqbf_3HUrJt1QP7OvtwwRhtrWGyFuxuyuyZVatAF8HjCSWRDd0QhWTOKGPfdPqw3-CqkgfpjSiH2Yx

Last edited:

Watermann

That's great news and 120 is good if all cylinders were close to that. My 140 Merc was 125 or 126 on all 6 and it runs strong so I know you'll be happy with the motor. When you get it going after the water pump kit and t stats I would suggest doing a de-carb on the motor with seafoam and the numbers would probably go up from there. I find that it even makes the motor sound better out the exhaust after the de-carb.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
That's great news and 120 is good if all cylinders were close to that. My 140 Merc was 125 or 126 on all 6 and it runs strong so I know you'll be happy with the motor. When you get it going after the water pump kit and t stats I would suggest doing a de-carb on the motor with seafoam and the numbers would probably go up from there. I find that it even makes the motor sound better out the exhaust after the de-carb.

Got a can ready to go and a small tank hooked to the motor. Pump, stats, de-carb and splash.

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
Almost there! She looks good even with off colored seats. I never would have noticed if you hadn't said something. My wife really wants me to do that with ours as well now. 😀

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Almost there! She looks good even with off colored seats. I never would have noticed if you hadn't said something. My wife really wants me to do that with ours as well now. 😀

Thanks MD and sorry for giving your wife ideas. As Budski said, they probably won't be in that much for fishing but it will be great when out with kiddos.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Look what came today! Install tomorrow am before afternoon shift starts.

Watermann

Would you look at how he tore into that box, looks like wrapping paper at 1000 am Christmas morning. :lol:

Watermann

Oh a couple things, be sure to grease the impeller cup, driveshaft splines and use some to hold that impeller key in place, you don't want that little sucker falling down inside one of the passages.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Oh a couple things, be sure to grease the impeller cup, driveshaft splines and use some to hold that impeller key in place, you don't want that little sucker falling down inside one of the passages.

Will do, thanks for the tips. This will be my first one.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Well photobucket got me as well. Unfortunately I won't be paying the ransom so I will only end up with pics of the splash.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
I installed the pater pump yesterday but the old one still looked pretty good. I blew compressed air through all of the water lines and got some crud out at the tell tale so hopefully that is what caused the dribble from the pee hole. Thermostats didn't come in though and now it's the long weekend so probably not going to see them until Tuesday, crud, I was hoping to splash on Sunday but delayed again.

Watermann

Man that sucks the t stats didn't come in, guess video when it happens up on YT or you can try to use MS OneDrive, it seems to be working for me on pics.