1981 Starcraft Super Sport 180 - Gonna try a Restore

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Terry but don't bother him if he is busy, I'm sure someone here that has a Johnny rude will chime in soon.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Your 3 wire blue - green bundle is for tilt and trim. Purple gray and black from the controls should be, switched power, tach sender and ground. The switched power will go to your volt meter, tach and fuel gauge. You'll need to fuse the switched power and don't use it for anything else, make a 3 connection daisy chain for those gauges..

Last edited:

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Great thanks Rob. So does the white wire that is bundled with the red green blue and black coming from the engine go to the trim guage?

Watermann

I don't think so, the trim switch has 3 connections so I think it's power for the 2 trim wires. But I don't have an OB trim gauge, only on my cruiser as it's easy to turn your head and look at the angle on the OB to be sure it's tilted up.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
I don't think so, the trim switch has 3 connections so I think it's power for the 2 trim wires. But I don't have an OB trim gauge, only on my cruiser as it's easy to turn your head and look at the angle on the OB to be sure it's tilted up.

Thanksagain Rob. I'll have to try and find a schematic to figure out the white wire as the trim switch has red blue and green and the wire bundle from the engine has red blue green white and black. I thought red was the power.

Watermann

Thanks again Rob. I'll have to try and find a schematic to figure out the white wire as the trim switch has red blue and green and the wire bundle from the engine has red blue green white and black. I thought red was the power.

Yeah normally red is pos+ and blk- is neg. I found this schematic.

TnTwiring.gif

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Nice, nothing like the duagrams I found and it answers my question. Looks like black and white go to the trim guage and the accessory wire goes to the trim guage ad well. Thanks Rob!

Watermann

Hey no prob, I should start looking at those schematics rather than rely on my memory when it comes to wiring advice.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Well hit my first MAJOR roadblock today. While attempting to hang the engine it appears that one of the top mounting holes is not lined up. It is out so much I can't even fudge the bolt in, looks to be 1/4" out. I have no idea how that happened since I drilled out where the holes were in the aluminum skin. They were slightly out of center but this is ridiculous.
Of course I didn't dry fit and go oped it up with 5200 so it was hard to see and took forever to clean up.
I have to go to work now so on days off I'll get it lined back up and install the bottom bolts and see what is going on.
Is there any good way to fill the bad hole? 1/2" oak dowel glued in maybe then re drill?

Watermann

Sounds like me and one of my splashwell drain tube holes, it was a royal pain. Yeah good idea to glue a dowel in and re-drill the hole.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree with the dowel. Sorry to hear about the misalignment. Murphy sure likes boats. Seems he hangs out with us alot more than anyone else.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for stopping in Rob and Pat and for making me confident that the dowel was the way to go. I did it this morning before work and when I get home I'll fill the hole in the aluminum with JB Weld. Tomorrow I'll dry fit the motor, drill out the new hole and touch up the paint on the transom cap that got messed up by the motor scrapping all over it.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Motor is finally mounted and all of the important wiring is done, just have to tidy up some of the hanging wires. Only wiring still to do is the led lights and tie in the GPS to the vhf radio. I was really hoping to start the motor today but wiring in the Gauges took much longer than I anticipated.
Heading to the trailer tomorrow and not back until Saturday night so Sunday will be motor day if the weather co-operates.
I wired in 2 bilge pumps, 1 is an auto pump which I wired directly to the battery through a 3 way switch I mounted at the stern on the starboard side panel. The other is controlled manually at the helm and only has power to it when the main is turned on.
I wired the instrument and switch lights to the nav light so they only come on when needed at dark. The stereo is wired so it can be used when the ignition is off, I also didn't hook up the memory as I didn't want that drain on the battery when not being used.
I also installed my charging unit, the same one Watermann has, and put the plug in by the bilge switch.
Wish I took some better pics, Sunday when the boat is out of the hangar I'll get some better pictures and post them up. Have a great week all.
View attachment y4m0cVSt9qkCmhLe2-uCPHf15u3nrQhaGKWXz8YjGTIWnF_cTarsq48xVwm_39HeXH7pE50G3_IFyVFLONUQwDOM-HUD8Q6CsrwH

Last edited:

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Got the boat out of the hangar today and started on the engine. Since it's been sitting for three years I wanted to make sure it ran before I started putting money into it. I sprayed down the carbs with a healthy dose of seafoam and let it sit for a few hours, fogged the cylinders and cleaned the plugs. It started without too much problem and after a few minutes the smoke burned off and was idling not too bad at about 1200 rpm, a little high I think.
The only problem I noticed was the tell tale water was quite hot although the stream was good. I never got an overheat alarm but I only ran it twice for maybe 5 minutes. Should I be concerned? Will a water pump kit make a difference?
I also noticed that the plugs are NGK and I read that those aren't the right ones so I am going the get the QL champions.
Like a boneheads I thought I could do the rivet repair for the hole I drilled in the hull last. Looks like I will
have to pull up the front deck to get at it. Doh!šŸ˜­
Here she is getting some much needed fresh air.
View attachment y4mfyP2f-OeW5Mq6X5ZAu9vBSPpA2BZ_p6ewiMIsKUF82yqIzyGuGSyo_k9t21nhmbE9ukkGQPk8VT2Mj25-5aSq5v5ilDCZvtGT
View attachment y4mCPsfeFnUXXxbUIAE9jGdxaEqo8zFySciPN2tb3BSRZFq9jt62oQxoL1tT7csxYnD4OToDqkOh8Xehfg5_1N35cUblmdvVKG6Q
Almost forget, picked up those Lund bow cushions on kijiji. They even have the cutout for my fuel fill housing. My color blindness bit me in the but on this one though. I thought they were grey until I got them in the boat. Oh well, it was a lot cheaper than getting them made.

Last edited:

budski

Lieutenant Commander
Looks great in the sun, cushions look good, they will probably not be in that much anyway.