1981 Starcraft Super Sport 180 - Gonna try a Restore

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Trailer is coming along nicely going to look great.

Thanks John, I sure hope it will I just need some warm weather to get it done.

I'll look into those sleeves as well Pat, thanks for the heads up on those. You would think it will be cheaper then replacing the spindle.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Not gonna get much paint on this set of days off, daytime highs are 6 degrees. This is what I woke up to yesterday morning.
20170425_091612.jpg

I decided that I would start getting all the small stuff finished up so I got to work on the hatches. I got almost all of the hinges installed. The ones on the wood hatches are temporarily attached to the hatches but permanent on the deck. All of them are bolted through with ss bolts and nuts except for a few that I couldn't get underneath and of course 5200 on everything that went through wood. I also tapped the holes that went through the aluminum frame.
View attachment y4m3uthIlqn5Qd9oGHIVh_QQWlKaNMIfJ6-2cFRlAaInOrRs_YV0baoXTmqSWSxThRe6XVNhdWWEXyO2v5bTAcaID-s6h83Y__Dy

View attachment y4mocFYYXS38IiJ9rh8lGPggf6_8-9rEUbFEjywnK05jyy2rIVl0qlJI9h8MwiQLK6Qfucuaix_dYIL7pSdnGquh4Z4qxetnQXXH
Floor cooler is done. I was trying to figure out what to use for a pull because I didn't want it sticking up too high and I didn't want to cut a hole for an flush mount. I went with a stainless ring and used a stainless bulldog clamp to attach it to the lid, I just used it like a u bolt.

View attachment y4m8DefAn9AtSeVXhWuEpRx3fyiQZ5FtyMvaU98iSAoXNWweoam_pVqCtoBgWTBvk7kPiNE2inCfHPF1QuL6YAfTcqK2dl6ina0I
View attachment y4myIS2fzQWtghR_gPwg-ziUp6QD70DSG2FgdPYOkZKt3A7yvJYJknNT6-IJ4V6yDsb9RsOtGUImuSBgCM5XEm5eBUCgoQzyFmVg
View attachment y4mrP-vdrV1-QvrbzAk_g8YrRASTO-N2rhCdqmM6k3XAHS5nPhXO_p38XI8_EGSZSsMSfB3etK10gIhGOCb1KBC7ZHSxBkpOdGZU

Last edited:

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Last edited:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Very nice. You may not like those rings once underway. It seems like they will make lots of noise bouncing around and even from the vibration from the engine at wot. Sorry to be the rain cloud. She is looking awesome though.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Very nice. You may not like those rings once underway. It seems like they will make lots of noise bouncing around and even from the vibration from the engine at wot. Sorry to be the rain cloud. She is looking awesome though.

Thanks for stopping in. I thought about the rings rattling as well. The one on the floor won't because is is snuggled down enough the you have to pull it up and push it down flat. I figure nothing is louder than the engine so I should be able to deal with a bit of rattling, if not I'll wrap some electrical tape around them. Day trips will see them used to strap in the cooler anyhow.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looks to be a very functional layout with plenty of places to stash gear.

Hey if you're wanting to do something of even worry about those rings, take them off and for a more finished look coat them with plasti dip.

images

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Looks to be a very functional layout with plenty of places to stash gear.

Hey if you're wanting to do something of even worry about those rings, take them off and for a more finished look coat them with plasti dip.

images

Oh hey that's a great idea, thanks Rob. If they end up bothering me I will use that stuff to coat them. I wonder how that stuff would stick to wood? Hmm, plasti dipped hatches.

PikeHunter431

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Awesome rear deck and splash pan Rob. I like the idea of some D-rings to snug things down with. Are you planning on using bungee cords to do that or some sort of rope?

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Awesome rear deck and splash pan Rob. I like the idea of some D-rings to snug things down with. Are you planning on using bungee cords to do that or some sort of rope?

Thanks for stopping in Pike, I was planning on using a ratcheting cargo strap for my 100qt marine cooler. A couple clicks is all it should need to hold it in place. I used the same system to strap down my fuel tank under the front deck.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
So it looks like I'm going to have to buy a new axle. I just took a good look at the underside of the spindle and it is pretty chewed up. The area where the seal sits on both spindles has a fairly noticeable groove in it. I'm not confident enough in my abilities to attempt Waters fix and with a lot riding on the axle I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a new one.
I've also decided I'm going to paint the trailer with bedliner. I bought the roll/spray on type with hardener. I've read mixed reviews and methods so I am doing a test right now on 2 small pieces just in case it doesn't work out. I'd hate to have to strip the trailer again. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes.

Watermann

Yeah I don't blame ya for wanting to replace the axle, especially when they come with new hubs.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah I don't blame ya for wanting to replace the axle, especially when they come with new hubs.

Ya, to bad I already bought the bearing kits and installed the race. Oh well, now I will have Spare hubs just in case.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
FINALLY! It's warm enough to paint, a beautiful 20 degrees celcius for the next 2 days and I just started days off.
My bedliner test worked out pretty good and gave me enough confidence to go ahead and start it on the trailer. The picture below was my trial. I primed the bare metal with rustoleum SE primer, rolled on the bedliner (without the texture granules added) let it gas off for 2 hours then brushed on, from left to right, tremclad rust paint in gloss black rustoleum marine in grey and then tremclad professional from a spray can. Now the directions for the bedliner say fully cured in 3 to 7 days and it's only been 2 but I needed to test it to make sure it wouldn't flake off. I dragged a key across the 3 paint swatches with fairly hard pressure. It's hard to see in the picture but it didn't make a mark on the tremclad rust paint, it did scratch right through the marine rustoleum to the bedliner and made some superficial scratchest on the tremclad pro. I also keyed a piece with just bedliner, it made some light colored lines on the bedliner but no damage. I also used the key to beat on the painted areas and there were not marks or chipping.

View attachment y4mGnQHgJdyBlJsUP76LroimFrw0ChkirQS8-CdeilCkcoWA9Mc2RnxsjoBMBuOW9z_7Lk_jH4f8dMQD9WCLLoSu990-gwdHlSM9

Satisfied with the test I went ahead and prepped the trailer. I just fished up my second coat of bedliner and I think it came out pretty good. I only put the texture granules in the first coat figuring that the second coat would seal them in really good and make it no as intense. Well, it's still very textured but it should make it good and grippy when I need to walk on it. In another hour I will topcoat with the tremclad rust paint.

View attachment y4m5vpTzeuNMgpNFsVE6fxgivEWodAeSFZavCOKRK-E-8SfQIU1xBPz5RiM4ECccfgcAF3WYcwIc38Xs44RwtrFpjBXTMLhW4tdcView attachment y4mhr_9Tcmt3P-50K6zEoWzcbny3Lddlo2F2G-UB-7hQhSImoQ7JmqAeQsvxomnjm_ncRCWXkOKN6hRK6KBQ6377_pZ-2uvNkPuE

I'll post up some pics of the hatches I put bedliner on later, forgot to take some before I left the hangar.

Last edited:

Watermann

Yeah that sure is bumpy alright, the layers should keep the rock chips from taking over the trailer.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah that sure is bumpy alright, the layers should keep the rock chips from taking over the trailer.

That's what I'm hoping. Seeing how badly the previous paint job got eaten up made me think that I didn't want to go through all the trouble for it to end up looking like crap in a couple years. Will see how this one holds up I guess.
I got the idea because I saw a brand new trailer carrying a big wake board boat that had that same look but it had all the manufacturer decals and pinstriping on it so I figured it must have come like that, I can't remember the manufacturer though. When I was researching it I read somewhere that one of the trailer manufacturers advertised their trailers with Gator Guard. Well Gator Guard is just bedliner so if they can do it I figure I could to.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Speaking of things lasting, this is a piece of acx fir plywood that I spar varnished way back when I did my floors. I ended up changing my design so this piece was no good to me anymore. It's been out in my yard exposed to all the elements and buried in snow all winter. Its been out therefor the last year and a bit and still looks like the day it went out. If there was ever any doubt in anyone's mind that the spar would hold up I hope this eases your doubts.

Watermann

Speaking of things lasting, this is a piece of acx fir plywood that I spar varnished way back when I did my floors. I ended up changing my design so this piece was no good to me anymore. It's been out in my yard exposed to all the elements and buried in snow all winter. Its been out therefor the last year and a bit and still looks like the day it went out. If there was ever any doubt in anyone's mind that the spar would hold up I hope this eases your doubts.

Whoa! I know that super duper wonder epoxy resin wouldn't make t through the summer out there without spar over it. :lol: