1981 Starcraft Super Sport 180 - Gonna try a Restore

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
I finished the hot tub removal and making the pallet furniture. My wife will paint them so my honey dew is complete and back to the boat on the weekend. Here's pics of my last 6 days of work.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looks like you're about ready to slap some power on there and go bust some waves.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like you're about ready to slap some power on there and go bust some waves.

I wish but close it is. I have to put in the front deck and install fuel tank and lines. Then trailer work then motor on, wiring and done.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Got a full day in today but it sure doesn't seem like very much got accomplished other than the framing for the front deck. I did get some other small things done though so that' less I have to do later.
I'm a little concerned about the clearence for the fuel filler hose. I have about 1 and a half times the height of the neck to work with. What do you guys think?
View attachment y4mdYEvdzaThJAkDWJSdS-NnK_XRnfUPUIgsRSeExHlgAamiU8l7Dmlu70PIrAAKtGOHZ_HH_nVkBOPoqxL7YpY49rW121Xh9jdn

Another issue is that Starcraft mounted the port side rail for the seating 1/2" lower from front to rear than the starboard side. I wish I would have noticed this before I painted then I would have just drilled out the rivets and moved it higher. Now I think I'm just going to make some spacers to get it to the right height.

I also got the vinyl in the locker and rod holders installed yesterday.

Last edited:

Watermann

I was wondering how your tank was going to fit into the scheme of things. Yeah that filler hose doesn't like to bend so I see your concern but if it doesn't bend without putting downward pressure on the tank against the top then you might be able to use a 90 degree molded piece of filler hose and use a metal coupler to the main hose.

The front casting deck looks really large in the pic, it should be very roomy up there. My mind has been going thinking about how to design mine so that's an interesting design you have going with 2 large side compartments and a forward hatch too is what it looks like. I was thinking I would need to set my consoles in and use them for the rear deck support as I think you did with yours. Are you using different sizes of angle AL and what thickness are you finding is best?

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
I was wondering how your tank was going to fit into the scheme of things. Yeah that filler hose doesn't like to bend so I see your concern but if it doesn't bend without putting downward pressure on the tank against the top then you might be able to use a 90 degree molded piece of filler hose and use a metal coupler to the main hose.

The front casting deck looks really large in the pic, it should be very roomy up there. My mind has been going thinking about how to design mine so that's an interesting design you have going with 2 large side compartments and a forward hatch too is what it looks like. I was thinking I would need to set my consoles in and use them for the rear deck support as I think you did with yours. Are you using different sizes of angle AL and what thickness are you finding is best?

I was thinking I would have to use a 90 as well. The deck will attach to the front of the consoles. All of my angle is 1/8" thick. I have different widths depending on where I use it. The front deck has 1 1/4" and 2". The front hatch has the 2 inch so I can use it as a lip for the hatch to rest on and the hinges to attach to. And you are correct, there will be 2 side hatches and 1 front.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
I have a similar clearance issue with my forward tank filler and I am using a super 90 from filler neck supply. They are longer than the more common Gates 90's and help with fewer joints in the fill hose. I am going directly to the neck with it instead of adding in a metal coupler piece.

http://www.fillernecksupply.com/1-1-2-id-38mm-90-degree-super-fuel-filler-elbow-1.50/

I could not find 1-1/2 inch 90's in Iboats store

Ron

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks OH. I found this multi flex fuel hose that I think I will pick up. It is supposed to be pretty flexible. It is marine type A2.

Hopefully it works but if not I will get the 90 elbow.

I tried to post the link but obviously I am doing something wrong.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Not much done on the boat this long weekend, too many bbqs. I also ended up building a propane fire pit for the outdoor living room the admiral wanted.

I did run the fuel line and I got these great rubber tool holders that I used to mount my paddles.

View attachment y4mbg2f4maqJKRvKi_ISY57FFiTXDsTXsDPW1Eji0N7D63DXFooZhCMRHAfqIGZ8PDXIhCeBCCb1zbdiw9_BPNB5D31ZEvgdnUsRView attachment y4mQgUgAwMtIpCHRre8nSNlZ_xaQ92kdsERJyHsRPA2ZlbVYIGByZGTHO9Afhjxn_VMEGsPbXWi-YbaQ4xGxbt0MHBmy4B4SAw_D

I also got the hatches cut out of the front deck and the rest for the hatch installed. Just sealing it with spar right now and will be ready for vinyl by the weekend.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
MD, please dont post to 90+day inactive topics

Candutch has been on iboats as recent as today, but hasnt posted here since July, well outside the 90day inactivity window.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Well I'm back from hibernation. It's been a long cold winter but finally getting some temps on the right side of zero so hopefully I will get back to the ss soon.
Not much has happened on the boat since I last posted. I did get my starcraft decals on, fuel tank secured, hoses and filler installed and began securing the front deck. Had a slight slip up doing that and the first hole I drilled went through the side of the hull. I was so mad I haven't worked a day on it since, that was back in August.
I hope to get some cradles built to get the boat off the trailer this week and get into some trailer work in the coming weeks.
Here are a few pics to get caught up to date.

View attachment y4mmip6fNkSfUPHTUAvcCL9HUuLtxNr5uRjEuHOrOsgHPmLU4kt8oR8F3Ka7U_LOaN6kMmAyFQA4B3maLacu5aGM2rwvYUfHqwI4View attachment y4m0c-2IV_Vy7FrSH_gIwCsuz9nJ7rEcmZabMMiAS75cb1U2Ygkuj1wqlEdPAdZwTkyvbLZC7PO675PTjNC-BPTYa74CJDBope-Y

Attachments

• y4mdjCsvzY3LqJ7D4ve9lKsLOKBuby5bbKWP0jme1CoIKoKW9jB62xDAb4OyE9-1ew2iTfINZYHgcDjGxLfgtHzjLT_qsuHoxfIo
    59 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Here is the hole I drilled in the hull. I got lucky that it is even with the other rivet so it shouldn't look bad. Only problem is the 3/16 bit went through at an angle so I think I will have to take it up to 1/4 inch since it's oval and try and find a 1/4 solid rivet and someone with the tools. I'd hate to buy the tools for one rivet. Any ideas on the length I will need? It went through the support bracket for the front bench seat as well as the hull.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Oh and thanks for stopping by MD28, sorry you got scolded but I appreciate the love 😂.

Watermann

Hey that hole is no biggie, I would just drill it straight through the side with a 3/16" bit and put a 5200 buttered rivet in the hole. It won't fall out, ever.

Unless you have a local source you can shoot me a PM with your address and I'll toss some different length solid rivets in a padded envelope to you so you don't have to buy a 100 of them.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Ah that hole ain't no big deal. I was expecting much work. Nice work so far otherwise :)

budski

Lieutenant Commander
Nice wheels you got a great deal on them, boats coming along nicely.