1981 Starcraft Super Sport 180 - Gonna try a Restore

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Getting close to that decking goes in milestone where the rebuild takes off flying. Just be glad your boat is inside so it doesn't take off flying. I had that problem when one of the those clouds went by my house.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Making great progress Rob, Calgary has had some real nasty weather this summer fore sure.

Thanks Glen, our weather has been pretty up and down this year. Par for the course living so close to the mountains. Its hot now, hopefully it stays like this for awhile.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Getting close to that decking goes in milestone where the rebuild takes off flying. Just be glad your boat is inside so it doesn't take off flying. I had that problem when one of the those clouds went by my house.

Thanks Water, I need to figure out what I'm going to do about a fuel tank before I button it up so it may be awhile yet. I can't seem to find a below deck one narrow enough to fit between the stringers up front. I may try to figure a way to mount the original tank up front and build the floor up.

I've got the floor all spar varnished, 4 coats on each side and 8 on the edges. Between coats I also started making aluminum bracing to pull the stringers together and give the floor some support at the seams. The stringers were bent outward and the floor was not sitting flush on the tops, probably resulted from the rotted floor flexing too much. I'll post up some pics once I have them installed.

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class
...I also started making aluminum bracing to pull the stringers together and give the floor some support at the seams. The stringers were bent outward and the floor was not sitting flush on the tops, probably resulted from the rotted floor flexing too much. I'll post up some pics once I have them installed.

I did something similar and it did help stiffen the floor quite a bit...
fetch

Last edited:

Watermann

I had to move my stringers / deck supports out to accommodate the belly tank which raised the deck so I ended up using firing strips riveted down on top of the rib ends to raise the deck height up 1 inch. I know that could be a problem with the SS because of the consoles.

Watermann

Just be sure to foam the bottom first to make things a little easier on yourself. I did the same in my Chief but I ran the AL out to the rib ends.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry I didn't reply to the last few posts, been too busy with camping and fishing and now hunting. I will post up some pics of everything once hunting season is done. I do have a bunch of stuff done and dropped too much money in the last week since cabela's opened here in Calgary. I have to say I love the bargain cave there. I got a panther 4 stroke max 35lb ob bracket for $150, 4 Scotty rod holders for $60 and 2 deck plates for $8.

I like what you did there jeep, wish I would have checked back here before I finished mine up.

Can anyone tell me if it is ok to mount the original fuel tank under a casting deck at the front. I was going to put in a belly tank but I have to cut some costs somewhere.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Well only 1 day of hunting left then back onto the restore. I thought I would post up some pics of the little bit of progress I was able to make between the camping, fishing and hunting over the last 3 months.

I used the ratchet straps to pull the stringers up straight

View attachment y4mgmU34shFQAdhFRdO8MNY21Ge5IqM42s0z4GZZHmQi1l3WZJb3P1x2kOXU4RXI_QgOqo-rUOToA-RwsG7kSmyg2JU_Ff0U48j9

I used the blue foam for most of the flotation but re-used the good original stuff with a barrier of blue foam underneath it to save on cost.

View attachment y4makzAzW3kLlBpIXauu66KQxuA63yx8XoSb8YPneSegoGo-uq_S7lKOq9jtrDiiqro10m9R0nHOupXk9umfNQy0uJijeCv2K2LO

Under deck dry storage

View attachment y4mBEFkJg2o57qFwRvvd3NkZsmknbgA6DvgdblESfy8NtIFgn19zaLGWODdHK7tmFu4RjWcII3TCVGltSVPEgz4Ud4e1HxCQa3Nl

Transom in! Six coats of spar varnish per side, 12 on the edges. I deleted the photos of the transom construction by accident. I did it like most others, I used 3/4 Arauco exterior ply with PL construction adhesive that I troweled on with a v notch trowel. I had no voids to fill on my cut edges.

View attachment y4mueRXuvaTuw1wFhO_LIj7H1J-fi8xzl95BB1huhImV1ADPzw7wHnpjgY2zsN6sB08ugLRJd9WjcHxUCxJEDaJ7ba_vtHgLJ7Hh

Some more goodies

20151024_152257.jpg

Attachments

• y4mgQprIRof9q8X-fvL9YZdWT-Jsqk6xbGM9bJ-FQTpj53AqDF7ZE60xFUVQOuzGiD7_0xuB4r6tULIiO-VJY4sJHl9z9Ao9cJ9H
    37.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Looks like some awesome shopping. Transom looks stout.

Yes you can put a tank under the casting desk. Keeping the fuel line accessible for future repairs would be ideal.

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
It's coming along nicely Rob, good work, I like the storage in the floor and sorta wish I did something similar.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like some awesome shopping. Transom looks stout.

Yes you can put a tank under the casting desk. Keeping the fuel line accessible for future repairs would be ideal.

Thanks 64, the tank will go up front then and the fuel line will run under the gunwale where I can get at it if need be.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Some pretty good progress for being busy. :thumb:

Thanks Water, used what free time I had to work on it. Now that hunting is done it should move along a bit better. Unfortunately my hangar isn't heated so gluing and painting will have to wait for spring.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
It's coming along nicely Rob, good work, I like the storage in the floor and sorta wish I did something similar.

Thanks Rob, I will glue nautolex in there as well and add a drain hole. I figure I can use it as dry storage and a fish hold.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Thought I would throw in some pics from the luck on our fishing trip and fall hunting, the reason why I didn't get much done over the fall.

Out at Rennell Reef on the outside of Rennell sound in Haida Gwaii, BC (formerly Queen Charlotte Islands). Yes we are in Zodiaks, it was pretty rough out there, the pictures don't do the swell justice. You can see the waves crashing over the reef.

I preferred the sound

Halibut, Sole and Yellow Eye (Red Snapper)

Some Dungeness Crab for dessert later

Catch of day 2

The boats that kept us afloat for the week

Our little 5x5 Elk. We also managed 4 WT deer as well. Nice to have a freezer full of meat and fish for the year.

We caught a lot more fish and crab but you get the point.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Now for the money I spent on boat stuff between hunting and fishing and the work I finished since Christmas.

Kijiji downriggers $100 for the pair

20160126_194330.jpg

New gauges, stainless cup holders, rod holder bracket and holy s*$# handles. I got the gauges for $150 including the pod which I found on ebay.

20160126_194201.jpg

I really scored on these, all were on sale or clearance. $230 for all!

View attachment y4mohzL7eB7B6ABxgIn1cWIDhEIV0buGwK2J1c9oZbin_7sthqoNwdS8LTZfrJEfGeuLgmPpV0XF0qVWJNq8f4YzOSIFqfcvC5Na

My rear deck frame. Its all 1.5" angle aluminum 1/8" thick. I still have a couple cross pieces to put in and aluminum sheet for inside walls but I ran out of the aluminum angle.
View attachment y4mE-6h6caiyM6rKrURxiYUGG2P1OLyDnPVYabHVB4UkBQ8mEIpPnMMA8lUZ4CuKbl6tXTbFWtudyFquSpjNcy-WaU9HlL35CSJz

For these walls I re-purposed the pieces that were under the splash well that held the floatation foam in.
View attachment y4m8M-z4xla6soBE8jMaWC_ASXk3KBPQ3gqfHm8REVGNTY-XRgLuePJPvey312MLhDczKnHNk7N96mZHRA2aB_s0htWAg9tzbAx0

Well that's it for now. Can't wait for warmer weather so I can get my Nautolex down among other jobs that require above 04 degree celcius temps.

Last edited:

Watermann

Super productive fall on the water and in the woods! :thumb:

I really like the framing setup you have there, once the decking goes on and everything's tied together it'll be super strong.

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Nice score on the goodies!
The rear deck is gonna be killer