1957 Ski Champ - project 5 Cent Deposit

Joe L. Bachs

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry no pictures lately guys. Ive just been alot of sanding on all the wood and setting aside cash to has the hull soad blasted. This is kind of a long term project, so I dont plan to get it out on the water this season. I did want to see what you guys think the boat is worth as I bought it? Theres no chance I'll be selling it, I just want to see if I overpaid. The seller was asking $700, I talked him down to $470... seemed like a good deal to me. How'd I do?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
$470. hmmm.... it looks to me like you're one heck of a negotiator but did you get him to throw in some extra goodies too?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
you got ripped off...

...we are here if you would like to recoup some of your losses :lol: :p

(kidding of course....you stole it!)

Last edited:

Joe L. Bachs

Seaman Apprentice
Hey fellas, its been awhile so I wanted to post an update. I've straightened the trailer tongue, replaced all the rollers on the trailer, re-did the lights and bunks and replaced the winch. I have all the mahogany stripped and I'm starting the process of looking for an engine and controls for it. I'm looking to go with a newer (mid to late 90s) evinrude or johnson outboard, I'm thinking a 40-50hp. Do you guys think that is too big? I want it to be a quick little boat but still safe. I haven't been able to find any info on a hp rating for these. The next step is having the hull blasted. Work slows down for me in the winter so I should be able to start making some serious headway with it.

Watermann

Hey Joe, glad to hear your still at it with the champ. I think those champs were built pretty stout for a little larger motor to tow skiers.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Rated up to a 40, so I'd shop in the 35-50hp range and buy the 1st reasonable deal, ESP if you can score 1 w Tilt and Trim ;)

BTW, the 40 rating was based on testing output at the crank, the mid 90 motors you said you wanted, were rated at the prop. So a 40 in the late 50s is really comparable to a 90s 30-35. That and giving yourself more options to get T and T is why I suggested looking for a 35-50.

I've been in a lightweight 14ft 50s tinny w a modified modern 40. Really closer to a 55hp, and does it go? Yep, like wildfire. Having T and T on it lets Ray fine tune it to near perfection, running in all conditions. IIRC, w 4 not very small guys it was cracking 36mph in less then ideal conditions.

Joe L. Bachs

Seaman Apprentice
I bought my motor today, a 2001 Johnson 50hp with power tilt and trim. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for, problem is it came attached to the back of a 16'6" 1993 Johnsen center console (think poor mans boaston whaler) and on an early 2000s galvanized trailer... so I'm slowly building up a small fleet. The whole rig was a steal of a deal so I couldn't say no, now I need to try and sell the donor boat minus motor and control though.

Last edited:

Joe L. Bachs

Seaman Apprentice
Also after much consideration I think I've finally settled on a name, I'm gonna call it the "5 Cent Deposit". I don't know how original a name that is, in fact I'd be surprised if one of you guys hadn't used it already but I think it is the perfect name for my old tin can.

Joe L. Bachs

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Fellas, after almost 4 years I'm back and I've still got the Ski-champ. 4 years ago my wife (at the time my fiancé) was finishing grad school and we didn't have space at our house to store it or the extra time and cash to continue with the project. Lucky for me the Champ has been indoor stored and nice and safe during my hiatus. A few weeks ago I put new hubs, wheels and tires on the trailer and pulled it 5hours home from our lake house to where we live now in PA. Trailer pulled great, when I did the wheels and tires I went with 12" radials over the 8" bias plus that were on it previously

Joe L. Bachs

Seaman Apprentice
This is my progress so far. Maybe 8-10 hours of work and 2 gallons of rust oleum Aircraft stripper, 0000 steel wool and a couple cups of acetone.
48438610597_8d269ab027_z.jpg
IMG-1311 by

[URL="https://flic.kr/p/2gNkMg9"]IMG-1314
by

[URL="https://flic.kr/p/2gNmwVz"]IMG-1315
by

My only regret so far is not putting all my paint scrapings into a bucket to weigh it all up at the end. Not sure how much but there was quite a few pounds of "paint weight" on there. The topside had 9-10 coats of paint, yellows, purple, black, white and a variety of blues. I got lucky though cause the sides only had 5 or 6. Now that its mostly stripped the next step is to float test it and get inside my shop.
[URL="https://flic.kr/p/2gNmxfY"]IMG-1313
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/140780741@N06/

Last edited:

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Well, I'll be darned. I have a 1957 homebuilt runabout that looks very much like that boat.
I could never find any info out as to where the pans or detail came from, but this boat might be it. Can’t wait to see yours finished.

Last edited:

Watermann

Welcome back to to he fold :wave:

Stripper and naked AL, nothing better! :lol: