1957 Ski Champ - project 5 Cent Deposit

Joe L. Bachs

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, Just joined up but have checked the forums here for quite awhile. I have been watching the local classifieds and craig's list for quite awhile waiting for the right runabout to come along for a rebuild project. This followed me home last weekend, little to no rot, mostly complete, trailer included, as well as that sweet yellow and purple house paint... a 57 ski champ.

Last edited by a moderator:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the Starmada and the iboats Tin Division Joe!

You've come to the right place and started it off with a heaping helping of pics too :D

I bet you couldn't hook up to that trailer quick enough to get your sweet little prize on it's way home! :eagerness:

Joe L. Bachs

Seaman Apprentice
Well I wanted to make a good first impression, and I know everyone likes pictures. haha. Yea I knew as soon as I saw it in person that I had to take it home.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Nice lines. What are your plans for it? And :welcome: aboard as well...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
She looks like a good one. Joe. I would swap the yellow and purple. Or get some hippie flower power stickers and leave the colors alone.

I think a re-paint with some civilized colors would do wonders. :D It looks like wood in the seats is still good, just needing refinishing.

Welcome to the Tin Nut Society.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey Joe when you get the chance how about a close up of that piece in the center of the dash below the RV mirror?

20150529_124345.jpg

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
thats a sexy little craft you picked up. Id rock the purple too, but maybe a newer candy purple. No shame here. Keep us updated!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Last edited:

Decker83

Commander
That is a real nice rig you picked up.. I kinda like the purple and yellow look.. :D
It is for sure different..
:welcome: to i-boats..

Joe L. Bachs

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys! My plans right now are to soda blast it, give it a semi polished finish on all the aluminum. Sand and re-varnish the wood, remove the "custom" flag holder in between the front seats. A pretty modern 40-50hp 4 stroke engine and maybe a real basic bimini top (sorry in advance to any purists out there). Keep as much of the original gear as I can though.

watermann- jbcurt hit the nail on the head, that is the exact bezel that I have, the center is glass and back lit on mine.

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Sweet Ride! Talk about cool factor. Even though I'm not a big fan of purple it still looks cool. I can see why it jumped on your hitch and followed you home. Looking forward to seeing her reborn. Oh and :welcome: to the tinsanity.:tinfoil3::D

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
I have to echo what everyone else here has already said. That's a sexy boat, the lines are so sweet!

Joe L. Bachs

Seaman Apprentice
Now that I'm starting to work on the boat I'm noticing most of the trim and such is held on with nails. I'm planning on switching the majority of them out for s.s. screws. I wanted to see what other modifications or upgrades are common among you guys when re-doing one of these old aluminum starcrafts. Also any common problems I should be on the look out for? I just found wrfalpaca's rebuild thread for his ski champ although I'm only a page or 2 into reading through it. Thanks in advance!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Welcome to the Starmada Joe L.! :welcome: (sorry I'm late to the party)

That's a really cool rig and it appears to be in super condition! :thumb:

Trim pieces are often held-on with pop-rivets. We recommend either solids or aluminum blind (pop) rivets. Avoid blinds with a steel mandrel.

Joe L. Bachs

Seaman Apprentice
Worked on the boat a bit this weekend. Removed most of the "customizations" done by the PO, cleaned out the hull, chipped out the drain plug and started sanding out the wood. The PO must have really fancied himself a carpenter haha, I did find a patch I didn't realize were there.

The patch that was hiding behind the old control mount. Doh!

Enjoyed a couple beers while I was working on it.

Everything I ended up removing

Last edited:

Joe L. Bachs

Seaman Apprentice
The drain plug was something else, chipped away a bunch of bondo, fiberglass epoxy and silicone caulk.

Last edited:

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Nice to see progress, I replaced all the nails on my 16ss with stainless #6 screws