New guy

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ben
No need to have 2 running topics about this build, would you rather maintain this topic in the Starcraft forum, or the other over in the resto forum?

Post here or there and if you'd like a mod can combine them for you, and leave the new topic whwre ever you'd like.

SC likely wouldnt provide year info even if you had the serial number, but if its a mid 60s Jet, the 1st 2 numbers in the serial # would likely be the year. They also wont re-issue a plate either, although Sylvan would. If you dig around you might find a ph# or email to call. I got a quick response when I posted a pix of my Sylvan on the Sylvan facebook page.

bennylt

Seaman
Ben
No need to have 2 running topics about this build, would you rather maintain this topic in the Starcraft forum, or the other over in the resto forum?

Post here or there and if you'd like a mod can combine them for you, and leave the new topic whwre ever you'd like.

SC likely wouldnt provide year info even if you had the serial number, but if its a mid 60s Jet, the 1st 2 numbers in the serial # would likely be the year. They also wont re-issue a plate either, although Sylvan would. If you dig around you might find a ph# or email to call. I got a quick response when I posted a pix of my Sylvan on the Sylvan facebook page.

This is the one I would like to maintain. Thanks.

bennylt

Seaman
No SC doesn't have any hidden numbers I've ever seen and your boat was prior to the CG HIN requirements of 1972. That placard is damaged too badly to read the first 2 numbers to show the year.

Too bad. Well are there any other defining characteristics of Jet-Stars that might tell me the year? Through googling, I notice on other people's pictures the transom braces seem to be different between different JEt Stars. Most i see have two braces, while mine and only one or two others I have seen have a single center brace.

jbcurt00

Staff member
This is the one I would like to maintain. Thanks.

Do you want me to merge them or close the Resto forum topic? Unmerged is fine, but as long as it's open, it'll illicit posts and replies, that should be here instead of there.

If you haven't posted a link to this topic in the resto topic, please do so, and I'll add one to the bottom of the 1st post you made in it. That way it'll be easy for anyone interested, to find this topic and comment or follow along.

Thanks
John

bennylt

Seaman
Do you want me to merge them or close the Resto forum topic? Unmerged is fine, but as long as it's open, it'll illicit posts and replies, that should be here instead of there.

If you haven't posted a link to this topic in the resto topic, please do so, and I'll add one to the bottom of the 1st post you made in it. That way it'll be easy for anyone interested, to find this topic and comment or follow along.

Thanks
John

Whichever you think is better is fine with me. I don't want to post in two topics.

bennylt

Seaman
The State of PA came through. I got my final registration information yesterday. Since the boat hasn't been registered for so long it was no longer in their system, and they had to create a new title and registration for me.

BUT... They were able to research based on the old registration to look back at the paper files and find the original boat serial number. Of course it is not on the placard anymore, but at least they were able to give it to me so i know what it is.

And the final verdict is. This boat is a 1968 Jet Star 15. and I have a new clean title and registration.

Last edited:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The State of PA came through. I got my final registration information yesterday. Since the boat hasn't been registered for so long it was no longer in their system, and they had to create a new title and registration for me.

BUT... They were able to research based on the old registration to look back at the paper files and find the original boat serial number. Of course it is not on the placard anymore, but at least they were able to give it to me so i know what it is.

And the final verdict is. This boat is a 1968 Jet Star 15. and I have a new clean title and registration.
Yayy! :clap2:

bennylt

Seaman
For some reason just having that little official sticker is making me even more motivated to finish this project.

The TO DO list:

1. Pull old floor (Save as template)
2. clean and power wash inside and out
3. Assess paint situation (75% sure it is a total strip job)
4. Patch holes from through hull installations that have been removed (side wall rod holders/bilge pump etc.)
(4.5) repair and reinforce front gunwales where old dash was removed.
5. Take off trailer and flip
6. Strip exterior hull
7. Leaving below water line bare aluminum - Protectant like Shark Hide
8. Repair trailer bunks and roller as necessary
9. put boat back on trailer
10. cut new floor/ Bulkhead / rear bench.... test fit yada yada yada
11. Spar Varnish wood
12. Paint inner hull sides and topside
13. install rod holders etc.
14. install floor/bench deck.
15. Install wiring and lighting
16. vinyl floor covering

I'll be painting the outer hull sides above water line at some point in the process too. probably when it's still upside down before i put it back on the trailer. but we'll wait and see.

bennylt

Seaman
I did some work on my other boat this weekend instead. Upgraded my canoe for running solo. Outriggers let me stand up comfortably for casting. i was even paddling standing up by the end of the day. I'm considering adding a trolling motor (I would have to re-register this boat for power then - Stupid PA rules)

Upgrades: Outriggers (fold up and down), anchor trolley, raised seat, Sonar depth/fish finder, awesomeness.

bennylt

Seaman
Another unanticipated benefit with the canoe. when padding I raise the outrigers out of the water because they add a lot of drag. However. with them raised up just out of the water, they act similar to a pole a tightrope walker would use. Just having the extra weight one either side about 2feet out from the gunwales adds a TON of stability. This was a very stable paddling canoe already, now it is solid as a rock. I was a little worried about that with the raised seat, but the raised outriggers seem to take care of that problem and then some! Having that taller seat is huge for comfort and being able to see down into the water looking for structure to fish. and of course being able to stand to see and cast is amazing!!! I can't wait to finish my starcraft fishing boat, but this will still always be able to get places that boat never will.

bennylt

Seaman
Update. The hull is stripped and cleaned, and at the welder (a friend of mine) who is going to do the work to brace the existing gunwales, and extend them around where the original front deck was cut out. It should look good and seamless. not a rivet job like I would need to do on my own.

I'll post pictures when i get it back.

After that is just some more paint stripping, and then painting. then floor goes in and she is ready to rock.

My engine for this is a tiller steer, so no console or any of that needed.