Tonneau cover for 1970 Starcraft Jupiter V?

Dave in VT

Cadet
Hi,
Thanks to help from members on this forum, I was able to restore my 16' 1970 Jupiter V a couple of years ago. You guys are the best!
I replaced the deck and transom, rebucked loose rivets, put some gluvit inside the hull, replaced the foam, etc, etc.
It's now a great family boat, and we are enjoying it!!
This Summer I'd like to leave it moored for a few weeks at a time (rather than trailer it in & out of the water every weekend) and I am lucky enough to have access to a permanent mooring in the lake. I don't want to leave it uncovered, however, because I'm worried about sun damage to the vinyl on the seats, newly installed carpet, etc.
One of those tonneau covers sure would be nice, and I see snaps are installed along the top of the windshield frame as well as around the edge of the cockpit.
But is there an affordable way to get a tonneau for this old boat? I asked at a local place that custom makes covers, etc but that would cost more than I paid for the boat... Did Starcraft ever manufacture a tonneau for this model? Does anyone have any suggestions? Is a tonneau even what I should look for? I never heard the word until an internet search today.
Thanks very much!!

Last edited:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
You'd have to have a custom cover made if you want something that won't disappoint you. And yeah, they're pricey. Are you on Champlain?

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
Dave, I've been pricing out some cover's and have been surprised at the prices of local shops too. I live in OH and some guys were telling me that there are really reasonably priced Amish canvas shops a few hours southeast of my location, I may have to check them out. The other option I have looked at is making my own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC1muFgrSFU

Dave in VT

Cadet
Thanks for the info... even if it's not what I was hoping to hear.
Is a tonneau or cockpit cover the best solution for a boat that's moored for most of the summer?

And yes, I'm on Lake Champlain. Wish I were out there right now!

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
Another option is to buy an off the shelf cover and modify it to fit like a custom cover, using the techniques in the youtube videos, which is probably what I'm gonna do. I just need a snap positioning kit like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ExWz7F3mRw

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
There's a great shop in Colchester called Cloth'n Canvas. Excellent service and quality, but you're likely looking at an August/September date if you call tomorrow...and probably close to $1K for that cover. The DIY suggested by Astor sounds pretty good, too.

Last edited: