14' Starcraft Mod advice

I just recently bought a 14' Aluminum Starcraft. I want to mod it to make a decent fishing boat with a casting deck and sponsons. I am wondering if I cut out the middle seat it it will cause any structual integrety issues? Will it cause the gunwales to bow out?
I am using this boat on lakes and rivers in Ontario Canada so no real wave issues.
In this pic I have the deck laid out in yellow. I plan to leave the bow seat and middle bench in place and build around and on top of it.
The red boxes are what I want to cut out. The bench and the split seats in the stern.
The blue is where I intend to build a sponson on top of a floor, with a bulkhead separating the gas tanks from the sitting/fishing area.
So I guess my questions are:
Am I killing my boat? Will this cause any structual issues with the gunwales and keel?
Am I breaking laws?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 2

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
If it was me Id bring the deck at least back to cove that middle bench. Im pretty sure that middle one helps out structurally. Then you have a bigger deck for more storage and wont have to worry about removing it. There rear half boxes Im not to sure about but Im betting they also help and are there for a reason.

Center of gravity will be higher with a deck over the benches too. Maybe cut a test piece of wood and put it in at the ramp and walk on it. See how stable it would be before cutting things up.
image_221092.jpg

Last edited:

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
i also would test out a high deck like that before committing, g0nefishin is right on about checking how stable it feels.
As to removing the middle bench, my boat is pretty flimsy empty, but maybe if you put the floor in that you are thinking about, it might provide support for the sidewalls.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Those benches contain flotation foam and DO add structure to support the gunwales, i wouldnt remove them w/out replacing the foam elsewhere and adding structure to support the gunwales.

Every pound of weight you add making changes, decreases carrying capacity. And yep, a raised deck will change the center of gravity....

Thanks a lot for the input and advice. I will definately not remove the benches as I don't want to depleat the structual integrety. I will installl the floor in the lower groove that is there and try a higher placed board over the seats on the bow end to see if it will work.

i also would test out a high deck like that before committing, g0nefishin is right on about checking how stable it feels.
As to removing the middle bench, my boat is pretty flimsy empty, but maybe if you put the floor in that you are thinking about, it might provide support for the sidewalls.

Fantastic advise!!! I cut out a 1" plywood board to size and checked to see how "tippy" or unstable it would be. Much to my amazement and joy, it was not tippy at all.

Those benches contain flotation foam and DO add structure to support the gunwales, i wouldnt remove them w/out replacing the foam elsewhere and adding structure to support the gunwales.

Every pound of weight you add making changes, decreases carrying capacity. And yep, a raised deck will change the center of gravity....

Again, thakns for the great advice! I decided to leave the benches in place. It's not that bad. Not what I wanted to do exactly, but not bad at all.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
She came out looking great!

Hows the stability and handling with the new layout?

I'm actually very suprised by the stability. I only put one other adult in there with me (for comfort while fishing reasons) and the 18hp Merc has no issues. I figure with all the 1" floor and decking, plus the 2 fuel tanks, plus the battery I'm already at 1 full grown adult. Add me and one other and it's perfect. No problems getting up and trimming. Turns and handles very nice.
Whoever is fishing from the deck has had no issues even in situatinos where the wake gets heavy.
All I have left for mods with this gem is to put in two seats (and maybe a pedistal on the deck) and paint the waterline to gunwales. But that's a next year project... I need to let my wallet cool down.