Aluminum hull painting on a budget

alkali_pcp

Cadet
I have gotten a 19ft 1980 Starcraft SuperSport 181. The aluminum hull is in great shape, but with some ugly pale blue, chipping paint (sorry, no pics.. for some reason a .jpg is invalid format). I want to repaint, but the only marine paint I can find in my area is roughly $150 for 1 gallon. A friend said that his friend used black Tremclad with a couple drops of hardener added, and apparently still looks good. Does anyone have any alternatives or suggestions? Thanks!

dozerII

Admiral
I see you are a fellow Kanuck, Tremclad sucks big time, if you want to use an enamel which works great Rustoleum Pro is a great choice. You can buy it through Acklands Grainger, I thin with acetone and use Wetlook hardener per the instructions.

alkali_pcp

Cadet
Thanks dozer... I looked at their site, and the rustoleum that comes up is 150 to 445 per gallon... looking for a little cheaper option lol

alkali_pcp

Cadet
Thanks dozer, but I looked at their site (closest one is 3 hours away) and the rustoleum comes up at 150 to 445 for a gallon... looking for a bit of a cheaper option lol

alkali_pcp

Cadet
Funny coincidence.... i am a security guard at a mine, and not 2 minutes after posting that, a rep from Ackland came in the door

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
As far as I know Tremclad Pro and Rustoleum Pro in the rattle cans are the same paint. But certainly do use the "Pro" version... approx $10 per spray bomb

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
7 dollars a can self etch primer x 6 for 42$ Pint or two hunters specialties paint for me at 20$. I think they are pints. Sanding material and what not should runaround 100-150$'s depending on the equipment you already have or will need. Plus the prepping stuff. Gotta put some work in for it to come out right.

My paint was chipping everywhere. i thought I would just sand the rough areas but the further I went the more it just made sense to strip the whole thing. If you go that route add strippers and 3m discs to cost. If you can get away with just sanding though it will be a lot less work.

dozerII

Admiral
Home Depot also carries Rustoleum. I get it from Apex Oilfield supply, they buy it from Acklands and I get it for $52.00 a gallon except for red which is $92.00.

home-boy

Banned
I ordered bluewater 2 part epoxy and 1 part topside paint for about $50 gallon

Medman23

Recruit
Alkali, I am in Sault, Ont. too. Have you priced paint in Michigan or online shipped to Sault, Michigan?
Also, I am looking for a similar project and would be interested in seeing the boat during restoration. If I can help let me know!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I ordered bluewater 2 part epoxy and 1 part topside paint for about $50 gallon

Sounds like a workable type paint. I know we all want the best for the cheapest cost. That is human nature. But when you seriously think about all the effort it takes to prep any type paint job, the actual cost is minuscule in comparison. Your labor hours will cost the most in any boat painting project without a doubt. So I say do the absolute best prep effort you can even do. Because the final finish is directly depended on that prep effort. Take the extra time now and do the job to the best you can do and you will not be disappointed in the final results. If you can feel any imperfections in the ready to spray top coat, primered finish, it will show up in the final paint finish... JMHO!

alkali_pcp

Cadet
Alkali, I am in Sault, Ont. too. Have you priced paint in Michigan or online shipped to Sault, Michigan?
Also, I am looking for a similar project and would be interested in seeing the boat during restoration. If I can help let me know!

I havn't done any looking in the states... with the exchange rate currently, everything seems to end up roughly the same price. I come home on tues from work and should be working on the boat all week. You're welcome to come and see it if you want. just pm me and we'll set something up

Vtstar

Seaman Apprentice
Rustoleum, the normal stuff from the hardware store. I bought it in quarts, not gallons (15 ft Jetstar did not need more than a quart or 2) and applied with a foam roller. Sanded what was underneath to smooth out, coated the bare spots with self-etch and off you go. Rattle cans for the top side. If I spend $100 in paint and supplies I would be surprised. Depending on your standards, some may scoff at this somewhat unrefined approach, others have seen my "yacht" and said it looks great. The only caveat is that i dont keep the boat in the water. If you do, you may need something a bit more robust.

Last edited:

alkali_pcp

Cadet
Rustoleum, the normal stuff from the hardware store. I bought it in quarts, not gallons (15 ft Jetstar did not need more than a quart or 2) and applied with a foam roller. Sanded what was underneath to smooth out, coated the bare spots with self-etch and off you go. Rattle cans for the top side. If I spend $100 in paint and supplies I would be surprised. Depending on your standards, some may scoff at this somewhat unrefined approach, others have seen my "yacht" and said it looks great. The only caveat is that i dont keep the boat in the water. If you do, you may need something a bit more robust.

nah.. it's going to be a pull out of the water after every use kind of deal... i don't live on the water, and don't feel like paying the marina fees. thanks for the tip!

SigSaurP229

Commander
Paint is all in the prep work, and I have had good long lasting results with the paint boat $100 method using just regular rustoleum.

This is the results of the $100 boat paint job.

It is ALL about the prep. 85% prep

Last edited:

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Paint is all in the prep work, and I have had good long lasting results with the paint boat $100 method using just regular rustoleum.

This is the results of the $100 boat paint job.

It is ALL about the prep. 85% prep

Looks factory. I too have used rustoleum with great results. I cut mine with acetone and used synthetic hardener, paint holds up great, I bought mine at home depot. If you thin it with mineral spirits it comes out a tad shinier. Either way works.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
This might be of interest...Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint...Say What!!!
eek.gif

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

yep , ditto to woodnglass loved it . what i did was strip with kleen strip and powerwasher / rustoleum slef etch primer spray bomb / primer with rustoleum pro and acetone thinner per instructions in woodnglass post / then 2 coats rustoleum pro with acetone thinner and hardener per woodnglass post. the primer and top coats i used a cheap harbor freight hvlp air gun. real happy with it and enclosed some pics for ya good luck! ps tack cloth to remove dust debris between coats

Attachments

• photo209242.jpg
    photo209242.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo221831.jpg
    photo221831.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo221832.jpg
    photo221832.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo221833.jpg
    photo221833.jpg