1987 18' SS

kcgolf

Cadet
I have been following these boards for the past year. Last October I just couldn't take it anymore and was able to work a deal for this 1987 SS. I had an 85 mariner about 10 years ago and have missed the ease of a tin boat since getting rid of it. I bought this boat with a suspect motor. Owner didn't know what was wrong with just that it would run on plane. The floor is soft and will need replaced. The transom seems fine although I will most likely end up replacing it anyways. Boat is an 87 and motor is an 86. I was hoping to work on it this winter/spring but the winter was not kind to us in PA and we ended up with snow cover pretty much from December until April. I was able to check the motor out and found one bad coil. Cleaned everything up and replaced the coil and it runs great. Was able to get a test run in last weekend. I was surprised. It was just me and the boys but the boat topped out at 32 mph with the 60. Im interested to see what it does with several people. My last 18 mariner did 43 with a 90 and two adults on board and would run low-mid 30s with 5 people. Now that it is May and my twins are obsessed with wanting to take the boat out I may just run as is until August and tear it apart September/October before it gets cold. Looking forward to getting information to help with the rebuild whenever that is. boat 2.jpg

Attachments

• boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 0
  • boat acc.jpg
    boat acc.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 0
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 0
  • interior 2.jpg
    interior 2.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 0
  • interior 1.jpg
    interior 1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 0
  • motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 0

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
That 60 is a great engine. I run a 3 cylinder omc 70 on my 18' Chieftain and get the same top speed. Just make sure your overheat alarm works, as they're prone to warping the inner exhaust manifold plate if they get too hot. If you hear the chirp when you turn the key, it probably works.

Nice boat, too!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome to the iboats forum and back to the Starmada! Great SS you found there :thumb: As you eluded to she could use some more HP, especially when the boys are wanting to do water sports.

It's tough to dive right into tearing a boat apart with summer bearing down. Just gauge carefully the safety factor of running a boat compromised by rot and possibly soaked flotation foam.

kcgolf

Cadet
It's tough to dive right into tearing a boat apart with summer bearing down. Just gauge carefully the safety factor of running a boat compromised by rot and possibly soaked flotation foam.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I am planning on pulling the carpet back and doing a little exploratory surgery to see how bad it is. If it is bad I will end up taking a couple vacation days and bang as much out as possible in 4-5 days and then finish on weekends. I just need it ready for the end of June.

kcgolf

Cadet
That 60 is a great engine. I run a 3 cylinder omc 70 on my 18' Chieftain and get the same top speed. Just make sure your overheat alarm works, as they're prone to warping the inner exhaust manifold plate if they get too hot. If you hear the chirp when you turn the key, it probably works.

Nice boat, too!

Yeah I dont think I will be knee boarding behind this thing anytime soon. My family had a 17' bluefin that came with a 50. I was able to ski behind it. The 50 didnt stay on long though as that summer my Uncle who is 6'4 and solid 280 dug his feet into a sand bar while tubbing and held the boat when my dad dumped the throttle. The next week it had a 90 on it. Ultimately I would like to find a 90 or 115 for on it but I want to redo it first then look for another motor.

kcgolf

Cadet
Welcome to the Starmada :welcome:Great looking SS that is the big sister to the Naked Lady before she had her make over.

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af352/dozerII/Duncaren2011005.jpg

Dozer your rebuilds are amazing. Hoping my comes out half as nice in the end. I officially have the rebuild bug. I havent even started mine and I am already holding back from buying another one. A 22' SS is on craigslist only 45 minutes from me. It is taking all my will power to not pull the trigger on it.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah I dont think I will be knee boarding behind this thing anytime soon. My family had a 17' bluefin that came with a 50. I was able to ski behind it. The 50 didnt stay on long though as that summer my Uncle who is 6'4 and solid 280 dug his feet into a sand bar while tubbing and held the boat when my dad dumped the throttle. The next week it had a 90 on it. Ultimately I would like to find a 90 or 115 for on it but I want to redo it first then look for another motor.

Yup, I don't do any skiing/tubing/wakeboarding with my rig...it would be underpowered for that stuff. I think you're on the right track with a 90 or 115. The old Yamaha 3 cylinder 2 stroke 90's are about the same weight as your motor, as well as bulletproof and fuel misers. If you can find one...they're still pretty sought after I believe.

And yeah, getting the important stuff out of the way first seems like a good call.