New tank at my house

juicebox

Petty Officer 3rd Class
not sure when I can start on her, but I wanted to share with everyone. I'm pretty excited that I found this rig.

Attachments

• photo220157.jpg
    photo220157.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo220158.jpg
    photo220158.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 3

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
looks like you have some work ahead of you, I'll enjoy following along!

juicebox

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looks like a V5 Islander? I think. What length?
It's a 22' v5 . I've been looking for one for awhile. Has a small block Chevy with omc outdrive. I want to turn it into an outboard boat. Gonna take some fab definitely. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction of an old thread on the conversion. I will be selling all the bolt ons for the omc and the leg. Gonna take awhile😊 Big 8' beam. Big boat. Deep.

Last edited:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
It's a 22' v5 . I've been looking for one for awhile. Has a small block Chevy with omc outdrive. I want to turn it into an outboard boat. Gonna take some fab definitely. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction of an old thread on the conversion. I will be selling all the bolt ons for the omc and the leg. Gonna take awhile😊 Big 8' beam. Big boat. Deep.

Hey jb, I don't know if you have a Facebook account, but if you do there's a group called "outboard troubleshooter" with a lot of members, some of them pro mechanics. I've seen a couple of full transom brackets being sold there. You can also just post a question and see if anybody has one if that's what you're looking for.

A 22' v5 islander with a full transom/outboard bracket is like the holy grail of starcrafts for me! No real winterization nonsense, small enough to singlehand but big enough to take almost any water conditions, great hull, huge cockpit with no doghouse....etc...I could go on :D.

Awesome boat. Good luck with it.

juicebox

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey jb, I don't know if you have a Facebook account, but if you do there's a group called "outboard troubleshooter" with a lot of members, some of them pro mechanics. I've seen a couple of full transom brackets being sold there. You can also just post a question and see if anybody has one if that's what you're looking for.

A 22' v5 islander with a full transom/outboard bracket is like the holy grail of starcrafts for me! No real winterization nonsense, small enough to singlehand but big enough to take almost any water conditions, great hull, huge cockpit with no doghouse....etc...I could go on :D.

Awesome boat. Good luck with it.

Yeah I'm thinking along the same lines, maybe even getting reed of the cabin and opt for an open bow with deck and huge storage under it. A Rounded windshield and maybe a rear deck with live well. Kind of like the new stx 2050. You know the one that I can't afford.😊

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Personally, I'd keep the cabin. I had similar thoughts about my chief, but I'm really glad I kept it mostly original. Mine is just a day tripper fishing boat, but a dry space is so nice to have, and it's good for naps! But that's just me...it's your boat of course!

juicebox

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah there are a lot of options. Lots to think about. It'll be a big upgrade from my 18' 69 holiday.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nice looking mid sized Islander you found, sounds like you have some lofty goals for her. I'm not much on the gender reassignment on the cabin tin, kind of a purist I guess. If you're wanting an open bow, maybe stay on the hunt for a 22' SS, they pop up from time to time, there's one being worked on here as we speak so I know they're around.

Decker83

Commander
Great find..
I know there is a thread here in the Boat Restoration, Building and Hull repair that a member did about 2 years ago.. He welded up a really nice ob bracket and splashed it..
If I wasn't so old I would remember what thread it was..
Maybe jbcurt can help find the thread..
Good luck with your new adventure..:D

jbcurt00

Staff member
Magnumdeke? Not sure he splashed it, but he definitely did the bracket and transom prep right.

dozerII

Admiral
Nice Islander you found, she looks like she is in need of a whole lot of TLC.

juicebox

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok guys, does anyone know of a contact at Starcraft that I could talk to? I want to switch this boat over to an outboard. I wonder if they have old schematics, that I could fab from. I've been looking at they're new boats also for ideas. Doesn't seem like it will be too difficult, but a nice drawing would be awesome. What are the chances of them helping me out? Thanks guys.

jbcurt00

Staff member
What are the chances of them helping me out?........
Zero chance

Look around the SC forum, what you propose has been done, some successfully, some not successfully. It involves completely reconfiguring the stern and transom. NOT impossible nor is it simple/easy, but it can be done.

But why do you want to change to an OB? You'll need to fill in the big hole in the transom skin and replace the tranosm ply w/ new.

juicebox

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Not worried about the hole, nothing a little tig welding can't fix. Transom wood needs replaced anyway, so that was already in the plans. As to why I want to change it to outboard, I guess it's just a matter of preference. I've had both, my current boat is an outboard and I don't know if I can't go back now. I guess I could use the design of the holiday splashwell, but I really like the new stx 2050 with the live well just in front, with two seat pedestals on top of it. Pretty awesome.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I started a 21 ft islander I/o-outboard bracket conversion, before I found a 22 ft V5 Holiday!!...so it got set aside.

a tip is to weld in stages when closing up the I/O key hole...I warped my transom sheet and it took a LOT of work to get it useable again...
x60x1k.jpg

I welded up a bracket for my islander. But just yesterday I say a craigslist ad for an outfit that makes all kinds of brackets....a single outboard, no swim platform bracket is about $600.....made to fit any boat!!

after I welded up the hole...this is what I had:

24uvmzn.jpg

I kept the heat on it for too long!!

bob

Decker83

Commander
Looks like you got the aluminum to hot.. Mine did have some warping but I controlled it by welding little short welds.

There is a thread by Weldzilla called [h=1]I/O to Outboard: 22ft. Sylvan offshore from 3.0liter OMC to Suzuki DF140..[/h] He did a great job doing what you want to do..

juicebox

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks, I'll check it out. Looked at a 18' fishmaster today for awhile, getting some ideas. Couldn't see everything, but it's helpful to look those new rigs.

nsjames

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a 22' Sylvan Offshore that's an outboard.
It's a cousin to this. It also happens to have no deck or anything in it.
Do you want some measurements and pictures?

juicebox

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've got a 22' Sylvan Offshore that's an outboard.
It's a cousin to this. It also happens to have no deck or anything in it.
Do you want some measurements and pictures?

I'd love to see pics and whatever else you'd be willing to share, thanks.