I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I need some feedback, guys.

Went out this afternoon and started working on the Coroplast side panels. The idea is to fit some more flotation foam along the sides and then cover the sides with the panels. I'd also affix rod holders and cargo netting along the side panels.

Started with the starboard side. Measured 3 times and then cut. It fit, sort of. :( :chargrined: The hull curves to the pointed Vee at the same time that it narrows at the bow. Makes it difficult to fit. Since I was trying to work around the trolling motor, it was a bit exasperating. The panel isn't secured, it's just jammed in there as a check fit situation at the moment. Maybe tomorrow I can try working on the port side to see if it's any easier.

Honestly, I actually wondered if it was worth the effort. After all, the boat is completely functional as is. The flotation foam and side panels aren't really necessary. Just niceties. I could slap a coat of paint on the inside of the hull and move on.

What do y'all think?
panel2.jpg
panel1.jpg

Attachments

• panel2.jpg
    panel2.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 2

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I really don;t know how you would go about securing the plastic panels to the deck and gunnel to where they wouldn't hit the guys windshield following you to the lake. Adding the panels would also make the little KF feel even smaller. I think some nice clean white paint would be the way to clean up the look. That's all I did for the inside of my Chief including the cabin and I think it looks just fine.

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey BW. Been lurking in this section of the forum for some time as I too am converting a 16' Holiday into a fishing machine......frugally.
I too pondered the idea of lining my bow area. I have 2 sheets of 4x8x ?? bending ply in my garage just for that purpose. After numerous attempts and vying the pros and cons of it, I ended up just carpeting the area. I agree with Waterman, that the challenges of fastening the board deterred me.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Not a fan of those panels. I've got marine vinyl on my bow sides up front. Looks good.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Thanks guys, I'll skip the panels. I'll paint the hull inside using the same gray porch paint I used on the deck. Still have some left over.

Told my wife and she immediately laid claim to the unused Cloroplast panels! :lol:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
"We" pressure washed the KF today in preparation for getting the inside of the hull painted. Got it cleaned and it will air dry outside in the sun for a couple days before I move it back into the garage for painting.

The boy loved the pressure washer.
paint prep1a.jpg

His mom, not so much! :lol:
paint prep2.jpg

It was pretty dirty in there.
paint prep3a.jpg

Attachments

• paint prep3a.jpg
    paint prep3a.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 2

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
What's the best way to remove these dead snaps? I can unscrew the male side but do I just drill through the female side like it was a rivet?

I don't want to booger up the fabric.

snap repair.jpg

Attachments

• snap repair.jpg
    snap repair.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 2

Watermann

Yeah you have to drill into the snaps flanged rivet, it should be soft brass that's nickle plated. Grab the snap with a pair of vice grips but don't crush and drill out the rivet.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Done and done!

Thanks for the vice grip tip, worked a treat. :encouragement:

Going fishing tomorrow. Wanted to get that done beforehand. :)

snap replaced.jpg

snap replaced2.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Took the KF out fishing today and have decided that I want to replace the trolling motor. It doesn't fit the boat well (sticks up too high) and isn't powerful enough at only 28 lbs. thrust. The breeze was only about 8mph but it was pushing the boat around easily even though I was on max power.

So I'll be watching c-list for a suitable replacement as time goes by.

And I definitely need to move the console at least a foot rearward in order to get some more foot space up front. If it can be done without having to buy a new steering cable when I install the 50HP Merc, I'll make the change then.

TM too high.jpg

Did catch some cats though!

cats.jpg

bunnymoney

Seaman
It's not real difficult to shorten your TM's shaft. It's pretty difficult to make it more powerful. The thrust rating is one thing, but the condition of your battery, connections, and prop are something else. To reach full rating everything must be in perfect order.

Lew

Watermann

For a 16' boat a 40# thrust is about where you want to be for a min. Just keep in mind that the higher you go in thrust the more it will eat your battery. A group 27 deep cycle is the smallest size you can get away with when running a 40#.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
It's not real difficult to shorten your TM's shaft. It's pretty difficult to make it more powerful. The thrust rating is one thing, but the condition of your battery, connections, and prop are something else. To reach full rating everything must be in perfect order.

Lew
Yeah, I figured it's probably no biggie to shorten the shaft but I can't see bothering with it if I plan to replace the TM anyway. Battery, prop and connections are all very good. Pulls the boat nicely when the wind isn't up or the current isn't too strong.

For a 16' boat a 40# thrust is about where you want to be for a min. Just keep in mind that the higher you go in thrust the more it will eat your battery. A group 27 deep cycle is the smallest size you can get away with when running a 40#.
I do indeed use a group 27 deep cycle battery. Hangs tough. I like it.

I won't go actively in search of buying a new 55 lb motor but will just bide my time watching c-list and pounce when a real bargain shows up. I've seen several over the last couple of months. And of course there's a "new" saltwater version on there right now for $500. Pass. :lol:

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Very cool family project, hope you're holding up well and excited to see what's next for the mighty KF... About the mystery SC Chief... I suppose I'll have to see if you've started a separate thread!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Very cool family project, hope you're holding up well and excited to see what's next for the mighty KF... About the mystery SC Chief... I suppose I'll have to see if you've started a separate thread!
Thanks! I had another relapse the day before Thanksgiving but am hanging in there.

Here's the mystery Chieftain revealed: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owners-groups-by-manufacturer/s/starcraft-boats/10115378-boom

And here's my current sorta-kinda-boat-related project. Had to have a place to work on 'em! Although it's been waylaid over the last couple of weeks. :lol:

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...raft-boats/10152277-some-good-stuff-happening

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
While out and about chasing down furniture for my home project, I also picked up these trolling motor connectors for the Kingfisher. Got 'em on craigslist for 15 bucks. Saved some money there!

It'll be sometime after the New Year before I get around to installing them. Not exactly sure yet how I'll mount them but am considering a couple of options, including fabbing an aluminum bracket of some kind.

TM connectors.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Took the KF fishing today. My daughter was with us, making 4 in the boat.

The little 8HP Johnson really struggled under the load. The boat only made about 5-6mph headway. More of a displacement speed. About half what we were getting with only 3 of us on board. Never even got to the "semi-planing" mode that we'd had with just 3 of us in the boat.

The KF really needs that 50HP Mercury on the back.

But I dunno guys. :noidea:

Talked it over with my wife just a little this evening and I'm just not sure if the KF is really what we need for freshwater fishing.

My wife is making noises like we shouldn't even bother with a boat but should simply fish from a chair on the shore.

I just dunno. :confused:

Watermann

Whoa :eek:

I'm not sure there's very many shore in a chair forums around. :lol:

I hate shore fishing,you have to deal with all sorts of pests like snakes, skeeters, biting flies, ticks, where you live gators and worst of all people with screaming kids that throw rocks.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would keep the KF since you own her and just give shore fishing a try. I bet your wife will not like the experience as much as being in a boat. No sense selling the boat. You will regret it. JMHO. Maybe the 50 is what she is concerned about. Maybe look for a 25-35 which will do you nice.