I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
PLEASE NOTE: This thread is a Frugal Functional Fix-up, not a total restoration. Things done here will be along the lines of affordability and simpleness, not an effort to make a pristine, "new" boat. Thanks!

Hi all! Been boatless for several years but picked up this 1976 Starcraft Kingfisher (16 foot) this afternoon. First thing to be done is to replace the antique Evinrude 15hp motor with pressurized fuel system! Researching options now. The boat is rated for 50hp and I found an old (but running!) Bearcat 55 outboard for cheap. Dunno if it's too heavy for the transom at 239 pounds though.

All thoughts welcome!

Attachments

• photo220102.jpg
    photo220102.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to the Starcraft fold. She doesn't look bad at all.

If the Bearcat is too heavy for the transom, so is the Evinrude. Is the transom in good shape? What are your plans for the Kingfisher?

If the Bearcat is cheap, you could make some cash from someone doing a period resto. Bearcats are a rarity, one of the first larger HP 4 strokes and the motor was developed using a Crosley 4 cylinder car motor as the basis. Do you have controls for the Bearcat? Controls + running = Ka-Ching

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
No Title

Okay, been a busy morning for me here but I took a couple of quick pix. The transom on the port side at the corner is rotting out. If that little 15hp Evinrude were reliable, I'd just use the boat as is and go fishing! But I went ahead and listed the motor on craigslist for sale a few minutes ago, so once it's removed, I'll have to get the transom fixed. I have a friend who knows a guy who does some boat stuff. Whatever that means.

Plans for the boat - to go fishing!

What size motor shaft do I need for this boat? 15? 20? 25?

At this time, all I want is to make the boat safe and reliable so that it can be used. A little spit and polish to brighten it up for now. But that's about all. I honestly can't see doing a complete restoration. I'm not much of a DIY guy and have some health issues (which is partly why I was boatless for awhile) and can't do work that a lot of other folks can. Looking at it this morning, it seems that the previous owner was starting to do the transom and said to heck with it and sold it so that he could get his truck fixed.

The boat came with a ton of extras, so I'm very happy with the overall value and price paid. Now, if I can just get a decent motor on the back, I'll be a happy camper... err... angler!

Attachments

• photo220128.jpg
    photo220128.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 25
  • photo220129.jpg
    photo220129.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 24

jbcurt00

Staff member
Transom shouldnt be too hard to replace, but whether you do it or someone else: NO PRESSURE TREATED PLYWOOD.

I'd bet the transom is 15" so you need a short shaft motor, i'd be looking for a 35-45hp, that Bearcat might be a good deal, but is likely much heavier then is ideal, esp in a tiller steer which puts you back there w it.

There are guys out there looking for them though, so to fund a motor, at the right price, the Bearcat might be beneficial to buy and re-sell, like GA mentioned.

Good luck. Hope the boating and fishing improves your health and well being :)

GA_Boater

Oh yeah - The transom needs a little bit of work. But that's an easy fix.

Did Kingfishers come with splashwells? If they didn't. I would go with a lower weight motor just to keep the stern a little higher.

I'm using the original cable and pulley steering on mine with a 50 horse motor. After replacing the cable and tuning it up, I'm quite happy with it. Absolutely no slop and 1 finger steering. Someone mis-routed your cables. In the first pic, the pulley should be attached with a hook through the double hump anchor fixture.

I hear ya about making her functional. I'm going the same path and keep saying someday, a resto. :rolleyes.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Doh, ignore the tiller commment above, still a really heavy 4stroke Bearcat wouldnt be my 1st choice of OB...

64osby

Admiral
Those late 50's motors are excellent runners when tuned up. Very easy to work on and it simple to convert to a fuel pump to replace the pressure tank. Pressure tanks also can yield a good price at resale.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I did some more research last night and it seems that the Bearcat is about the same weight, if not a little lighter, than many modern four-stroke engines in that size range. Pretty neat. That being said, it's still 50-60 pounds heavier than a more modern two-stroke of the same horsepower, even as far back as the 1980s.

Am reluctant to add the heavier Bearcat motor but if it actually runs and I get it for a song, it might be worth it, ya think? Maybe?

I am continuing my research for alternatives but I have been a BUSY boy today! Tomorrow is my birthday, so I'm going to be even busier then! :D

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I just passed on the Bearcat. Owner originally said it was running, but when pressed for details I learned that "it ran when we got it" but that it needs parts and has issues now. Next! :)

GA_Boater

Good move on passing the Bearcat up. Parts aren't exactly laying under a tree.

Happy, happy, BWR, :party:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Good move on passing the Bearcat up. Parts aren't exactly laying under a tree.

Happy, happy, BWR, :party:
Thanks!

After things settled down this evening, I went out and just looked the boat over for a few minutes. Definitely needs some work but overall I'm very happy. My wife is too! (BONUS!)

As I was looking at things on the boat I saw that there are several areas that need improvement, not just cleaning. Like no switches for anything anywhere. Gonna have to add a switch panel after I figure out what I need. The trolling motor and nav light wires are all run but hanging down and unsecured. No anchor light and no socket for it either. Bow nav light obscured by the front trolling motor. No bilge pump. No livewell in the boat. There are a zillion holes where rod holders and whatnot had been in place, then removed. No battery or fuel tank hold downs. Stuff like that.

On the plus side, the boat came with TWO old fish finders. An Eagle Z5000 and a Humminbird Piranha Max10. Plus a brand new $150 deep cycle battery! Three fuel tanks; the antique 4 gallon pressurized tank that goes with that old Evinrude, a modern 6 gallon tank plus a small 3 gallon fuel caddy type. Large wooden oars, 3 throwable PFDs, 3 Class II PFDs. Charged fire extinguisher. TWO working trolling motors; a Motorguide foot controlled 28 lb. unit mounted on the bow and a Minn Kota 32 lb. transom mount clamp version at the back. There's also a box of stuff like rod holders, etc. And I still have one more box to go through to search for more treasures.

Gonna be fun on a bun!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Guys, I have a line on a Johnson 28 SPL motor for cheap. Compression is 105 on both cylinders. Owner says it starts and runs, then dies after a few seconds and that he thinks the carbs just need to be cleaned. I dunno. It's 75 miles from here and I sure don't want to drive all the way down there for a possible fixer-upper that needs a bucketful of money to fix.

Thoughts?

MNhunter1

Ensign
Guys, I have a line on a Johnson 28 SPL motor for cheap. Compression is 105 on both cylinders. Owner says it starts and runs, then dies after a few seconds and that he thinks the carbs just need to be cleaned. I dunno. It's 75 miles from here and I sure don't want to drive all the way down there for a possible fixer-upper that needs a bucketful of money to fix.

Thoughts?

I'd personally pass on the 28hp and look for something a bit bigger for the 50hp rated 16' hull. Depending on the year of the motor, you may be looking at a prop rated 20-25hp in the 28 SPL. If I had it, I'd use it...but since you are buying, I'd look for something bigger...buy once, cry once.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I'd personally pass on the 28hp and look for something a bit bigger for the 50hp rated 16' hull. Depending on the year of the motor, you may be looking at a prop rated 20-25hp in the 28 SPL. If I had it, I'd use it...but since you are buying, I'd look for something bigger...buy once, cry once.
Good advice! Thanks, I'll go ahead and pass on it then. :)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
So I missed out on a running 55hp Chrysler with TNT for a couple hundred bucks this morning. It popped up on craigslist and was gone in just 3 hours. Sigh. :(

And I'm back to the age old struggle of wait-or-no-wait for the "right" motor. Getting pressure to get the boat working ASAP so that my family and I can get out on the water and go fishing.

Saw a 40hp Force with a non-working TNT but with a good running engine. Price is kinda high for what it is though. I know that eventually "the right one" will show up, but it's always a bummer to sit and watch the sun shining and not be out there on the water. I do like the advice to "cry once" and not go through the same thing over and over by getting a junk or too-small motor and then having to pay to get it fixed or replaced anyway. But it's soooo tempting when I see a good running 9.9hp engine for a couple hundred bucks. Makes me want to just grab it and throw it on the back and go fishing!

Ya know? LOL :D

The good news is that the boat is now titled and registered, so we have that going for us! Haha.

Will be taking a BUNCH of pix to post in the next day or so. Been pretty busy for me this week. And tomorrow is another busy day too. Can't wait to get out there and clean that boat and maybe start working on the transom. My neighbor friend told me yesterday aftenoon that his buddy will likely be able to help with the transom replacement. Good news, that! :)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
No Title

Good news, everyone! I just sold the old Evinrude! Yeheyy!

And the fella that bought it restores old motors and has a much newer 50hp Evinrude with TNT that I'm going to go look at tomorrow morning. He says it has good spark and compression but it's sitting in the back of his garage along with a zillion other things and he hasn't tried to start it yet. So the plan is for me to go over and we're gonna hang out and see if we can get it running.

PLUS! He said he will let me use his woodworking gear to build the new transom AND that he'll help me mount the motor on the boat. Bonus if it actually happens!

Attachments

• photo220329.jpg
    photo220329.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: