Help with control cables and steering system for 1972 Starcraft SS 16'

Charles Luck

Recruit
I picked up a 72 SS recently and would like some advice on length of cables for the controls. I will be getting a 1981 Evinrude 50 hp to put on her. I also need help getting the right steering system. The one that was on the boat was apparently hitting the side of the boat, so I'm assuming it wasn't the proper size. Help please!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard Charles!

On the control cable lengths, measuring yours from the controls to the motor is about the only way to do it or by removing yours first and laying them out. Your 1981 Rude is right there at about the cusp where they changed from old to new style cable ends too so make sure yours are the same as the ones your ordering. I'm assuming your obtaining the motors original controls too and not trying to use the one from 1972 because it would be for sure the old style ends and you can't have one of each on either end.

Not sure what you mean about the steering hitting the side of the boat so you'll need to post some pics of what you're talking about there. Steering cables are very precise for length, too short and you're screwed, too long and the cables won't bend enough to take up the slack. What helm to you have, rotary or rack & pinion?

SigSaurP229

Commander
Does the existing controls have cables. Your existing steering cable MAY be about a foot to long I think I used a 12 steering cable on my 16ss but it has been so long ago I can't really remember. It is supposed to run underneath the gunnel, tight up against the cap. As long as their are no loops in it than length wise it should be ok. I think I used 14 foot throttle and shifter cables but they were slightly on the long side. Pull your existing steering and measure is the most accurate way.

Charles Luck

Recruit
Thanks for the comments guys. The guy with the Evinrude 50 backed out of the deal with no explanation. So I ended up driving 14 hours round trip to get a 1989 Johnson 60 hp 3 cylinder. Just been in the shop and had gaskets put in the carbs. That was all it needed.
The problem with the old set up is everything was rigged poorly. The steering especially was totally jacked up. We tried a 12' rack and pinion set up and it was a little short. I guess I will try a 13'.