how much insulation ?? 18ft SS

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer
for those of you that have used the pink or blue foam sheets for your flotation .... how many sheets did you buy and what thickess did you get ?? also ..pics of install would be great. thanks guys

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
My 16' SeaNymph foam job, took 3 sheets (4'x8') and a bunch of effort to cut and conform them to the hull in the stacked on edge configuration. I know the SC's have a different layout of the stringers and most guys go a different route of laying the foam on it's side but this way you get more support for 1/2" decking and a bunch more foam inside.

IMAG0379.jpg

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I found space in my 21' Holiday for about 34 cubic feet of blue foam. Every boat model has different volumes and opportunities for different sizes. - Grandad

bridgeman213

Cadet
I bought 4 sheets of 2" and 3 sheets of 1" and had a full sheet of 2" left over. I'd say you'll need 2 of each, check at lowe's they had a few of each that had damaged edges and I got em for half price

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I found space in my 21' Holiday for about 34 cubic feet of blue foam. Every boat model has different volumes and opportunities for different sizes. - Grandad

granddad....what did the first layer on the sides look like??? was it cut at an angle to fit? or is there a space that gets bigger as you get closer to the center line??

bob

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Hi Bob. I just used the scrap from the center bottom pieces to begin the pile in the outside segments. I then cut the next layer on a very shallow angle you can sort of see on the starboard side in the picture below. I don't have any better pictures. The outside segments are 2" shallower than the center and the hull curves or flares which becomes difficult to accommodate anyway. - Grandad

Last edited: