Starcraft Mariner (?) Identification Help

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good day y'all!
I am putting a new floor into this newly acquired StarCraft and need to work on the wiring etc, etc, etc.........
Please help me identify the specific boat and please point me in the right direction for any restorations of something similar (I could not find anything).
Need to get this beast on the water within a month (personal goal) and I don't think it will take much to put it back together, but I got it in this condition and you just never know..............
Putting the Center Console in this weekend along with the rest of the floor (thanks IBoats Forums for the sealing/covering advice). Should not take long to finish it off from there.
Thanks for all available help!!
Nick

Attachments

• photo219207.jpg
    photo219207.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo219208.jpg
    photo219208.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo219209.jpg
    photo219209.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 2

64osby

Admiral
May or may not be a Mariner.

Did it come with a console? or any seat(s)?

You can make it what you want.

Any dimensions? What does the title say? Is there an ID plate attached to the gunnel?

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Could not find an ID plate, the Title just says StarCraft and it has a RH console. Got the floor finished and drilled out all the necessary holes to re-attach the forward bench seat and the rear structure. Another question is how much Styrofoam do I "need" if the beast is going to sink if filled with water anyway?
Can't wait to get her going!
Thanks y'all,
Nick

dozerII

Admiral
You don't want to use styrofoam, use the pink or blue insualation sheets from a big box store, HomeDepot, Lowes, etc. You haven't given us enough info on the boat to be able to estimate how much you will need though.

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK time to get back on this beastie, thanks for all the help so far. The boat is 18' long, not sure what else you need to help identify it. When you say "you can make it what you want" does that mean the basic shell supports several different "flavors" of starcraft? I'm super excited to get it on the water (hopefully this weekend) and will add some more pictures here. I was told the pink or blue insulation won't do me any good for keeping it afloat if it fills with water, so what is the insulation for if that's the case?
Is there a way to calculate the "capacity" of the boat or............
Thanks again for all your help.

jbcurt00

Staff member
What alternative did whoever gave you the bad 'wont keep it afloat' advice suggest?

Starcraft used styro as float foam and passed the USCG reg. Rigid insulation foam board is a much better choice then that.

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No alternative given, how much do I need to install? I have the large blocks for the benches and the rear sides as well, but that's it, only five large pieces.

64osby

Admiral
From a safety stand point you install as much as possible under the floor and anywhere else you are able. A boat that sinks can put any and all on board in peril.

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks very much, loading up where I can and finishing her up for a splash Saturday.

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I found a tag on the back of the boat, the ID is STRF66490480-FO

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
sure looks like a 1980 mariner to me.

Inside transom wood looks to be replaced.
They removed the splash well, and did not replace it.

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you, can you point me in the direction to see what a splash well is supposed to look like and what it's function is?

64osby

Admiral
Not able to get a pic of the splashwell posted due to the network I'm on right now.

The splashwell is an angled panel that runs across the stern of the hull. It is attached to the transom just below the 2 - 1" holes in your transom. The purpose is to catch water from a wave that hits the stern. The water would then drain out the 2 holes.

The secondary purpose is to provide structure to the hull. It ties the transom to the gunwale sides This strengthens the hull and helps distribute the forces of the motor.

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you sir, thought so, makes sense, I think I'm in good shape then as it's there and functional with the two holes, the PO actually added the holes, now I know why. My problem now is the carb is a tillotson on a 7.5 Merc that apparently is not made any more and trying to get parts, even from the manufacturer is driving me crazy. I don't want to replace the motor as it runs great when the carb works. I might just get some parts that appear like they should work and give them a shot.
I really like this boat and it's first run produced not a drop of water taken on through my repaired pop rivet holes thanks to people on this forum. Thank you for your help!
Could I hang a 50HP on the transom or is that too much??

64osby

Admiral
Could not find a pic of an '80 but in '71 the Mariner didn't have a spashwell. The Star Trek V did.

Also loos like a 16'er with a 50 hanging will work based on 1971 info.img007.jpg

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks, looks like the mariner V, rh console as shown. I put a floor in and it came with a rear aluminum section with two side compartments and a forward bench as well as a stand alone bench forward of the console. The front overhang section is exactly as portrayed on both. There is no evidence of a railing system shown on the star trek version.
it's super stable in the water and doesn't leak a drop anywhere, definitely a keeper!
Thanks very much for the help!

64osby

Admiral
Some pictures would be awesome, or maybe it really didn't happen.

A Mariner SPLASH. :cool:

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got caught up in Subaru Maintenance this weekend after firing up the Mercury 7.5 Friday night post carb rebuild. Ready to SPLASH now! Now all I need is a free evening............. Saturday latest, can't wait!
Thanks for the help!
Nick:clap2:

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK, Splashed and ran great, handled great, dogs got happy quickly, one pull start in the cold am, not a drop of water in the boat on pull out, this boat is awesome, now time to take the Wife out for the real test..................
Thanks ya'll!!:peace: