This followed me home....

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tap her light Java and hope for calm water. Lake Chelan last weekend was an absolute zoo on the lower end. Boat chop was almost unbearable with wind added to it the lake was super rough with 3 - 4' multi directional waves being very common.

Good thinking on the back up bilge pump, that monster 2k pump should do the trick if things do happen to go sideways.

Yeah that is Lake WA most weekends too. The boat chop gets terrible and swept up by the wind...

I'm hoping it holds. I plugged the little hole I could find coming inside the hull, so I'm hoping that helps if the outside doesn't hold.

And yeah I figured a large pump was cheap insurance...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Java - Can you pull the floor in your sleep? In, out, in, out - Are you dizzy yet? :eek:

Hope something works on this. Good move on adding the big pump.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Java - Can you pull the floor in your sleep? In, out, in, out - Are you dizzy yet? :eek:

Hope something works on this. Good move on adding the big pump.

Luckily the front section comes out easy... But yeah hopefully not for awhile again. The foam is a pain in the assignment to get back out. I cut it to fit tight.

Yeah hope to never need to big pump.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
On the second bilge. I was thinking switched only.

BUT.... What happens if its sitting at the dock? The auto bilge is fine for small stuff, and I would expect a big leak to happen underway hitting a large wave or something.

Thoughts?

All the parts have arrived. Hopefully I can get it installed tonight.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
If your moored overnight and there's a big enough leak to run both those pumps your battery will go dry and it will then fill her up anyway. I say just leave the small one on the float and manual the big boy.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
If your moored overnight and there's a big enough leak to run both those pumps your battery will go dry and it will then fill her up anyway. I say just leave the small one on the float and manual the big boy.
Good point. It draws 10 amps. ..

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Is there a smart phone app that could tell ya when the pump is running while unattended? Just askin'... :joyous:

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there a smart phone app that could tell ya when the pump is running while unattended? Just askin'... :joyous:

I'm sure there is! But that's way beyond my budget. This is a budget boat!

Got the pump mounted. Option 1 didn't work. Which was ideal height. Option 2 it is, which means it has to be full to about floor level to turn it on. Think that's OK? It's at the Stern, so under power water will be forced back and to the pump.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Worked on the backup bilge for a bit yesterday.

Big hole in the side. Eeek! Well at least the hull is appears to be 1/8" on the sides.
19944435046_c8d4dca713_c.jpg

Better. Full 1 1/8" thru hull
19975869591_0e04e54281_c.jpg

Not fun spot to try to make connections....
19975872761_730bb2f11d_c.jpg

Running along with the fuel fill and vent.
19348035514_ee3eb6eaee_c.jpg

The pump and other end of the hose. Dont mind the rats nest, I un zip tied everything so I could work in there.
19975869801_0f9da20d48_c.jpg

Now I have to do the pump side hook up and wire it. Almost there.

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Gotta love poking holes in perfectly good tin! It looks nice and clean. I would suggest though that you spin your thru hull fitting 180 degrees so a "loop" is formed in the hose above the fitting. This will help prevent any splash water that may find its way in the hose from getting back to the pump.

Watermann

Looks like that should do the trick but I hope it only gets turned on just to test it.

I would bet your HC is like the SC's we work on here in that it has 3 different AL thicknesses throughout the boat. The SC's are - transom .100, bottom .090 with the sides, gunnels and covers being .080. So the bottom of your HC would have an even thicker AL that was used.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gotta love poking holes in perfectly good tin! It looks nice and clean. I would suggest though that you spin your thru hull fitting 180 degrees so a "loop" is formed in the hose above the fitting. This will help prevent any splash water that may find its way in the hose from getting back to the pump.

No room to turn it... I will just have to live with any water, its well above the water line so I am not too concerened about it...

Looks like that should do the trick but I hope it only gets turned on just to test it.

I would bet your HC is like the SC's we work on here in that it has 3 different AL thicknesses throughout the boat. The SC's are - transom .100, bottom .090 with the sides, gunnels and covers being .080. So the bottom of your HC would have an even thicker AL that was used.

Hopefully it is! There is some serious pitting so the thicker the better IMO....

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Still a bit of a rats nest, but pump is done, wired to the wiper switch :D it was a very useful switch on a CC with no windshield. The PO had wired it to the backlight on the switch panel. Backlight is now wired to come on with the Nav lights.

19933771309_9aa0627e01_c.jpg

So I now have 2750 GPH of bilge pumps. I hope to never need them both.

Watermann

Hey there ya go, looks like your ready for some wave action on the big lake!

A word of advice on the fire extinguisher, move it as far as you can from the possible source of fire but still have easy access. You don't want to have to go into the flames to get the extinguisher. ;)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Let's have no unintended testing the new pump, java. :eek: Sure hope the leaks are gone.

Good advice on the extinguisher. I have one mounted in plain sight at the helm because I figure 99 times out of a 100 I'll be running the boat and it's close at hand. Seconds count.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey there ya go, looks like your ready for some wave action on the big lake!

A word of advice on the fire extinguisher, move it as far as you can from the possible source of fire but still have easy access. You don't want to have to go into the flames to get the extinguisher. ;)

Very good point. Ill see if I can sneak it under the console somewhere.

Nice to see your boat in person this weekend! Looked good on the water. Sounded really nice too when you took off.

Let's have no unintended testing the new pump, java. :eek: Sure hope the leaks are gone.

Good advice on the extinguisher. I have one mounted in plain sight at the helm because I figure 99 times out of a 100 I'll be running the boat and it's close at hand. Seconds count.

Didn't get tested this weekend! Bilge was wet, it looked like it was swimming/tube etc water, or a tiny leak if any, maybe a gallon or two total. I painted the 5200 on the bottom black, and there was one little white line, maybe 1/2" long, I couldn't tell if it was just from the 5200 stretching with the boat flex or if it split there. Ill get under there with a flashlight.

But man the new boat worked SO much better than the old one, we had two kids, 200lbs of dog, and two adults, and all our camping gear for a 3 day weekend. (we did the math and it looked like we were right at capacity for the boat, no placard, but USCG calc put us at 8 people) Took a few seconds to plane, but did get up and cruised at 27mph at 3800RPM's. The old one took two trips and wouldn't plane.

The forest fires made for an interesting weekend. They picked up a ton friday, Thursday night it was a little smoky, but not bad, friday it was snowing ash. Couldn't see across the lake.
Thursday night, not too bad
19639876413_64005c73e3_c.jpg

Friday:
20072828518_342694b3ac_c.jpg

Off the bow, that's the bimini at the top of the pic, land you can sort of make out, not very far away. GPS was definately helpful this weekend.
20072808120_f185ed6f01_c.jpg

Watermann

Glad you had a good time despite all thew smoke out there. I pulled into the slips before coming around to your camp and checked out your HC, she's a sweet boat with some nice power! The admiral was wondering if you made one trip to camp with everything.

After I pulled out the barge came looming out from the smoke with all the equipment on it from Holden Village. July 19th we took a pic of the Wolverine fire and it was like a campfire up there on the mountain. Now weeks later it's ravaging the beautiful forest they could've put it out with a few chopper buckets but they let it go.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Glad you had a good time despite all thew smoke out there. I pulled into the slips before coming around to your camp and checked out your HC, she's a sweet boat with some nice power! The admiral was wondering if you made one trip to camp with everything.

After I pulled out the barge came looming out from the smoke with all the equipment on it from Holden Village. July 19th we took a pic of the Wolverine fire and it was like a campfire up there on the mountain. Now weeks later it's ravaging the beautiful forest they could've put it out with a few chopper buckets but they let it go.

Ah I would have come over if I had seen you! Yes we did one trip, I was a little hesitant but it worked out just fine. The weight was right at capacity and it planed out in a few seconds at WOT. Its been a great boat so far.

Everything smells like it has been in a smoker..... But it was fun none the less, good to get away from work for a few days.

Yeah bummer about Holden. at least they got the equipment out....

Watermann

Yeah Gabe it would've been fun to take you out in the Chief so you can see how well the old SC handles the 2'-3' chop. I think the water was a bit rough with the Lady's wake bouncing around to open her 4BBL up and run 45+ out there though. :D

Something for you to think about is 51 mile long Rufus Woods Lake up north of Chelan about 25 miles. There's a boat in only campground (Rocky Flats) there with a nice dock that's 15 miles up from the US Army Corps boat launch. There's also a State Park with a nice launch. We love boating there, it's very secluded, the water is like glass most of the time and no roads for the most part. http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/vis...cfm?Id=G373462

Last edited:

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah Gabe it would've been fun to take you out in the Chief so you can see how well the old SC handles the 2'-3' chop. I think the water was a bit rough with the Lady's wake bouncing around to open her 4BBL up and run 45+ out there though. :D

Something for you to think about is 51 mile long Rufus Woods Lake up north of Chelan about 25 miles. There's a boat in only campground (Rocky Flats) there with a nice dock that's 15 miles up from the US Army Corps boat launch. There's also a State Park with a nice launch. We love boating there, it's very secluded, the water is like glass most of the time and no roads for the most part. http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/vis...cfm?Id=G373462

Oh very cool, I will have to check it out.

Yeah the chop really wasnt that bad with the smoke keeping a lot of people off the lake. What does she run WOT?