starting my 22 ft v5 holiday project....question

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
here are a few of the latest pixs... I am fabricating side panels now out of aluminum that will be covered with carpet...and I cut the pitted gas tank up to use as shelves. the tank was 60" and I cut the sides of the tank off at 6"....I knocked the baffle portion off and Ill rivet an L channel to the edge and rive it to the inside of my side panel...for a nice shelf. I did that because I want it to be ridged, as I am not going to rivet to the outer hull....that whole side of the boat is clean and has no rivets...didn't want to change that.

28swz29.jpg

tarla8.jpg

this is the bad tank with one side still on it!!

fykeqg.jpg

bob

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The ole V5 is looking sleek just sitting there, looking forward to some pics of her on the water.

64osby

Admiral
You might need some rubber or foam as a buffer between the shelf and the hull. Otherwise you might get some bump, rattle or roll noises.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
You might need some rubber or foam as a buffer between the shelf and the hull. Otherwise you might get some bump, rattle or roll noises.

the shelf wont reach the hull... it will be about an inch short...

bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
look what came in the mail today!!! I bought the last 2 packages the guy had!!

2djp5zl.jpg

going to install the windshield this weekend!!

going to carpet my aluminum sheet interior panels as well....

but have to wait for my flooring before I can install the panels

bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I got my rubber flooring... I think it is pretty nice...exactly what I wanted...yo make the water run the stern asap....especially when its bitter cold....

z48yo.jpg

going to glue it as well as screw it down around the side that will end up behind my side panels....my only obstacle will be adding my seating..i guess the fastening will just squeeze the ribbing down....but I didn't want to cut the flooring..i want to keep it one piece!

bob

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Lookin' good Bob! :thumb: How's the traction when that stuff gets wet?

classiccat

I haven't actually installed it yet!!, and the boat has never been in the water...I am still refurbing it....

bob

Ok...how about when you're standing there drooling over the fact that you're in a nearly completed 22' V5 :madgrin: :lol:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
If its rubber i would think it would have grip bare foot and with shoes. Fish slime, oils, and ice would make it another story. I like it though, looks good.

I wonder if it would be hot to stand on with full sun and barefoot though?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I put the Holiday in the water today to test its unladened draft( no motor, gas or batteries) and to weigh the trailer . I have some nice angled aluminum diamond plate to rivet onto the bow for the 'walk way". and I still need to install my battery box-helm seat.... then ill plop the motor on and see how she runs.....hoping next week to go fishing in the Sound

fo3syw.jpg

vrg2lt.jpg

bob

dozerII

Admiral
She looks awesome Bob and hardly draws any water at all, mind you she weighs nothing. After using polished diamond plate on the bow and other spots on my Holiday all I can say is very very hot in the sun.:flame:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
She looks awesome Bob and hardly draws any water at all, mind you she weighs nothing. After using polished diamond plate on the bow and other spots on my Holiday all I can say is very very hot in the sun.:flame:

my aluminum diamond plate is sand blasted!! looks like the light grays I have used on the boat....

she doesn't even draft to the chine as she sits now!!...the motor is 380 lbs , so that is gonna change

2 batteries under the Helm seat should help.. and two fuel tanks, one in the center of the boat and one in the stern...33 gallons each

I can regulate the posture with the fuel supply to some extent....if need be..... I doubt Ill use 33 gallons on very many trips!!

bob

classiccat

Lookin good there Bob! Finish line in sight baby!!!!

Watermann

She looks great with water under her once again :thumb:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
took the boat out for the first time today.... my gf is still sewing the seat top for the helm seat and I have a few cabin lights to rig up...but I wanted to test the engine so I took her out...the motor didn't have thermostats!! I thought the tell tale was WEAK..and at idle in the yard the temp gauges wouldn't budge...when I got her on the lake and was doing 45 mph... the water pressure was reading about 5 psi!! I thought that was odd, and check the heads...cooll to the touch!! so I popped off the t stat covers and sure enough nothing there!... the boat sits so sweet even with the 175 v6 on the back..I have two fuel tanks and I put 18 gallons in the front tank and 12 gallons in the rear.... the boat has torque steer to the right so I have to adjust the trim tab. I have still to install the GPS -sounder, and hook up my searcgh light...and install the window supports....

11vpklu.jpg

2vhxk02.jpg

compare that with the first photo of the thread!!!

wlassh.jpg

vwzonr.jpg

boat weighs 1450 lbs with no gas or motor or batteries

I think its because I used 3/4" plywood for the floor

over all pleased, but I have to replace some carb-manifold gaskets as on leaks pretty bad....

bob

Last edited:

classiccat

Congrats on a successful run with the Monster Tin there Bob! Boat looks mean as he**! :madgrin:

Watermann

Looking good Bob! Sure does sit high in the water without being loaded down.

On the torque steer, it didn't go away when you trimmed up the motor?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Looking good Bob! Sure does sit high in the water without being loaded down.

On the torque steer, it didn't go away when you trimmed up the motor?

wasn't paying attention...thinking now it seems it was worse at low speed... the tyab is straight back!!

bob