number of batteries and placement '67 Jupiter

Rgetter

Cadet
Just wanted to see what everyone's opinion on the number and placement of batteries in a 67' Jupiter. The boat I just picked up surprisingly still had all the original electrical setup nothing added. So one of the things on my short list is to do a complete electrical overhaul and add in some missing electronics.

Currently the only electrical on the boat is the motor and the lights. I would be looking to add in a horn, stereo, bilge pump, fish finder , and wire in the original volt meter.

So the first question, should I put in two batteries or will one do? Currently have a new 29 series deep cycle.

2nd question, where should I put it/them in the boat. By default it looks like they were in the enclosure back by the transom along with the fuel tank. I was thinking of moving it to the front for both weight and easier wiring. Which would also allow me to put in a second fuel tank in the back.

Thanks again for your opinions, suggestions.
Ryan

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
How many batteries you install depends upon where and how you boat. If you're boating on a small puddle of a lake, you can risk having one battery that might die unexpectedly. If you don't feel comfortable with that possibility, get two batteries and a selector switch. The loads that you mention are no problem for one battery, but if you want to add an electric trolling motor, you'll probably want a second battery dedicated to just that. - Grandad

Rgetter

Cadet
90% on the time the boat would be used on average sized inland lakes. Boat would be used for either fishing or family cruising w/ small tube. Probably won't add a trolling motor till maybe next year. Other items on my list to get boat in a clean restored state will take priority.

jbcurt00

Staff member
The only thing I'd add to what Grandad mentioned is making sure you're familiar w/ how to pull start the outboard. I'm guessing if all else is original, it's unlikely to have a modern motor.

Making sure a vintage motor still has the pull rope/handle under the cowl and you know how to do it, would help if your battery(s) died. Most vintage motors have a pouch under the cowl w/ the rope and handle. if yours doesn't, you can make one and keep it anywhere you'd like, as long as it's in the boat when you need it ;)

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I would separate the fuel to one side and battery to the other in the stern area for obvious reasons, weight distribution and explosions. Having 12 foot long battery cables is troublesome and expensive. If you're worried about your starting battery going TU on you out on the lake then I would suggest an upgrade to a better brand, use an isolator and just carry a charged jump pack which also has a compressor for filling up those inflatable thingys people like to float on.

Rgetter

Cadet
So it sounds like one battery should be fine. It does have a '85 mariner OB which I was told did have a alternator to charge the battery when on.

As far as placement. I was thinking weight distribution would be better if it was up front. The battery weighs more than fuel and with only a single 6 gal tank I thought it would be nice to add a second so I didn't have to run and get gas every couple of hours (guessing). Either in the stern or the bow I would have to run power cable the entire length of the boat only difference would be the gauge of the wire. If placed in the stern I figured I would need around a 10 ga ran to the front to support all the electronics and in the bow probably a 4 gauge back to support the motor.

Right now I do have the battery in the stern opposite of the fuel. And hoping to get the boat in the water to see how it feels. But trying to diagram out the wiring, placement, fuse size, wire size, etc.. Only want to do it once so want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks