Starcraft Chieftain Seat height.

Furrylittleotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a set of TODD model 1000 "Cape Cod" seats last night and they are coming with 24" pedestals. I estimate they will sit around 26-28 off the deck. Can anyone tell me if this will be a good height for the Chieftain? I know most have boxes underneath, but I am hoping to not have boxes.

I plan to add TODD footrests and Gimbal rod holders eventually.

They do have slides.

Usage will probably be in fairly choppy water (Monterey Bay, Santa Cruz?) so I am thinking I will sit in them when calmer, spin them around to fish so we can stay under hardtop and slide them back to stand.

We will also cruise around CA lakes as well so, lots of sitting and trolling probably.

Thought about making a bolster to snap on across front of armrests or across back for leaning post effect or maybe simply some restaurant stye bolster seats.

Also thought I may have to mount them in rear or middle of deck because they are 25" wide. I think I can have several mounts to move them around and the rubber on floor can be cut out so we don't trip on the mounts.

What is your seat height is and how does it work for you? ? or any other insight or suggestion.

I am 5.11, my wife is 6.0 and our inseams are about 31

Thanks.

Neil

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I'm 6'0" and here's where my fold-down seats are relative to the gunwale:

uhiirjj.jpg

That was just the factory location (the original hinges were long gone) and it works well for comfort and visibility. You obviously need some kind of foot rest. I use a combination of coolers, tool boxes and milk crates depending on whether or not I have a passenger. It's kind of ghetto, but so's my boat :D. I like being able to move whatever my feet are resting on so I can stand in rough water.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
There's some variables that can't really be worked out using our seat height. The best way to have proper seat height is to measure it for you or have adjustable posts. The pedestals should be rated AD for the helm.

abyc-standards-1024x594_0.jpg

There are three boat seat pedestal classifications: Class AD (sometimes called AO), Class AP (sometimes called AN), and Class B. A designation of Class A designation (AD and AP) means it can be used while the boat is underway at any speed. Class B hardware should only be used on seats occupied while the boat is moving at 5 mph or less.

Furrylittleotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. These are ABYC "AD". since I was looking that up I went ahead and checked, they are available bot adjustable and in 30 inch fixed so I think I can make them work in any instance. I can't use the Todd footrests with adjustable pedestal though, so will probably be fixed. I like to recline a bit (my back does rather) so I may end up with a custom mount before I am all done. We'll see when they get here from Florida.

I checked the layout today and I think they will be awesome.

​Thanks for the replies. I know there are many factors. Floor height, cruising angle, etc. etc. and i am a finicky sitter anyway, but I was curious what others had.

Neil

64osby

Admiral
A typical adult chair is 18" from floor to front edge of seat.

Sit in a chair and measure from the back of your knee to the floor.

24" will leave your feet dangling or you will feel a lot a pressure on the underside of your leg.