itchy side does not itch

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
Built my I/O motor house for the starcraft out of epoxy/fiberglass. 1/8" panels with foam core, turned out great.
Just filled in the keel of the new boat this weekend with woodflour/micro fibers/epoxy, then taped the keel with 4,6,8" fiberglass tape.
Fiberglass cloth does not itch.
Epoxy and fiberglass has it's place even in the starcraft, floor panels and such would be good places to apply this type of construction. DSCN3295.JPG DSCN3300.JPG DSCN3299.JPG DSCN3298.JPG DSCN3296.JPG DSCN3295.JPG
Stitched on the Chine pieces and continue to make progress.
Also been cleaning up the starcraft and repainting the inside as time permits. The new motor housing was the main thing that needed done.

jbcurt00

Staff member
get back to us after you sand and fair any of the areas that have gotten fiberglass.....

Tape or cloth it isn't so itchy when doing a layup, but put a sander to it......

Progress on both boats looks great. Might post the details of this boat, and ask for it to be moved to the resto/build forum.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Work looks real good so far on the keel and the dog house is for your Chief looks pretty nice.

You see those big Chief's popping up all around lately?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Laying up fiberglass and sanding fiberglass as two different things. When you simply layup glass, there is little opportunity to itch. But start grinding or even sanding such work and the itch will soon begin. However, your boat effort looks nice and interesting indeed. Keep posting your progress... We all would love to see it through the way!

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Great job on the fairbody and chine Elk. That's a hard spot to make fare and true.

I agree with jb about doing a build thread on iboats. I'll be right behind you! I am still on track for a June build start date.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
When I make some more progress I will have to start a build thread on iboats, just wanted to give the starcraft guys a picture of my I/O housing for the starcraft. and since they gave me a bad time about being AOL, figured I would add a picture or two of what I have been up to.
On a stitch and glue boat you should not sand the fiberglass cloth, if you need to fair you add epoxy mixture to bring up the low spots, sand the epoxy. So you should not itch from sanding fiberglass because you should not be sanding the fiberglass.

jbcurt00

Staff member
On a stitch and glue boat you should not sand the fiberglass cloth, if you need to fair you add epoxy mixture to bring up the low spots, sand the epoxy. So you should not itch from sanding fiberglass because you should not be sanding the fiberglass.

Should being the operative word ;)

It also depends greatly on how smooth/flat you get the cloth so it's not sticking up into the epoxy that gets sanded when you fair.

Sounds good, good luck w the build

Furrylittleotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I definitely should not be sanding fiberglass, and aluminum and foam make excellent sides and engine cover for an aluminum boat and require zero maintenance.

Why glass if you don't have to? Now if I was building an Oyster boat, sure I'd build it wood and glass, but I'm not.

Nice work you did though.

Neil