Celebrating 40th Anniversary for my '74 16' Starcraft American OB Bowrider

Roj115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My family bought this boat new either in late 1974 or early 1975. It was originally equipped with an 85 Merc but we had the dealer take that off and had another dealer re-power it with a '74 Johnson 115. Best move we ever made. That boat would have been a dog with the 85 Merc. It jumps out of the hole like a scalded dog and is great for pulling slalom skiers with the 115 Johnny.

The boat made it's debut on our lake (Shuswap Lake, B.C., Canada) in the summer of 1975. It was the first bowrider Vee hull that anyone around there had ever seen. Prior to that, the only bowriders anyone had seen were Tri-hulls. Because of it being a bowrider Vee, the boat got a lot of attention and interest from the other cabin owners along the bay that year. In the following years, a lot of them replaced their closed bow Vee hulled runabouts with bowrider Vee hulls like the Costa Lotta (that's my boat's name).

Over the years, this became my property and I have lovingly maintained and taken care of it all along. It is because of the work I've put into it that it's still operational and in such great condition after 40 years. (It's also helped that it's not been trailered since around 1977. The total distance it travels on a trailer every year is less than about 100 feet in total (i.e. going from the boathouse to the water for launching and from the water back into the boathouse at the end of the season)).

This year is the Costa Lotta's 40th year on the lake. It's still a great boat. The engine, which has had a complete rebuild with oversized pistons, etc. runs beautifully and idles smoother than it ever has thanks to some adjustments I made to the carb syncing a few years ago, The boat still looks great and is still pretty solid although the floor board is getting just a tiny bit soft in one spot. We replaced some of the upholstery along the way but a lot of the original vinyl is still there and is holding up well.

I hope others will join me in celebrating this milestone with my beloved Starcraft. The Costa Lotta and Starcraft boats forever! :happy:

Attachments

• photo218160.jpg
    photo218160.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo218161.jpg
    photo218161.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Roj115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a better photo of the boat that I wanted to post but for some reason iBoats keeps telling me there was an error uploading the file. For the life of me I can't figure out what makes that picture any different than the ones it did allow me to upload... :blue:

dozerII

Admiral
Welcome Roj115, great looking Starcraft even though it is a glasser;). The best way to bring your photos on here is via Photobuckets its free and works great

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
There's a size limit for pix uploaded to the iboats server, try reducing the size

I prefer to use photobucket for pix, that way they show up IN my posts rather then attachments that have to be opened:
fetch

Great to have had it in the same family ON the same lake for 40yrs, congrats. THIS is the type of boat people should try to find when they go boat shopping. Unfortunately, most, by a large margin, don't receive 10% the care and maintenance.

Congrats, looks great. Got another 40 in her I'd bet.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Congrats on a 40 years of fun on the water with a well built SC! Whether it be glass or tin they all have staying power.

fetch

Roj115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, I opened up an account on Photobucket and figured out how to get the picture to display in my message.

Pretty fine looking boat, isn't she?

Thanks for the 40 wonderful years, Costa Lotta. :whoo:

Costa%20Lotta%20Small%20cropped_zps9jkzzxuu.jpg

I have to admit, however, that I have spent a lot of time this past month looking for a replacement for her. I want something similar but just a bit longer and roomier and with an e-Tec on it. After a TON of fruitless searching, I may have found just the boat. If I don't know what I'll do with the Costa Lotta if do decide to purchase that other boat. After 40 years, I've grown very attached to the Costa Lotta and it's now part of my identity and DNA. The problem is, I don't have room in my boathouse for 2 runabouts and I don't need to have two similar ski boats. It would sure be hard to part with her though...:blue:

I'm really torn. Don't know what to do...

If I do sell it, I would much prefer that it goes to a Starcraft enthusiast who would do some restoration work on it and bring it back to its former glory. Anyone who might be interested in it should let me know via a PM. Keep in mind, the boat is in the interior of British Columbia in Western Canada...

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
that many years on the same lake, I wonder how many family photos have it in the back round? kinda a nostalgic feel. although that is probably spelled wrong..

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Love that boat! I have the 15-foot closed deck of the same year and color, as well as a 1976 18-footer.

Roj115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the compliments on the Costa Lotta. That boat has been with me since I was 14 and is part of my identity and my very DNA. I can't imagine not having that boat because I have always had it in my life. But the sad thing is I just made an offer on a slightly used modern boat with an awesome 150 HO E-Tec on it (huh ho ho!). The offer has been accepted so it looks like I may be putting the Costa Lotta up for sale this summer. I can't believe I just said that!!

I don't know how I'm gonna be able to part with her but I shouldn't keep her. The reason she's still in such good shape is because she's always been in a boathouse when she wasn't in the water (and the fact that she maybe saw 3 weeks of use per year on average for the last 25 years). There won't be room in the boathouse for her now so she'll go downhill fast if I try to keep her outside under a tarp through the winters. The only right thing to do with her is to let her go to someone else who would appreciate and take care of her like I did. Someone who will do their best to keep her going another 20 years...

I'm going to bawl my eyes out the day I let her go... :-(

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
If you have kids, cover it up, park it, and save it for when they're ready! It's not costing you a dime to keep it...

Roj115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you have kids, cover it up, park it, and save it for when they're ready! It's not costing you a dime to keep it...

I won't have room for it in the boathouse anymore and it will go downhill fast if I start storing it outside. Besides, I really don't have a good place to keep it outside either.

I'm thinking that it should go to a family with young kids that wants to get into boating and doesn't have lots of money to do it but will really take good care of it. That boat would be great for a young family to bomb around in, do some tubing and kneeboarding and learn how to ski with.

Either that, or it should go to a Starcraft enthusiast. :cool:

I have lots of used spare parts to go with it, including every part of the ignition system, stater/timer, power-pack, coils, and other parts as well so anyone who gets it will have the ability to keep it going for quite a while yet for not much cost. It would make me feel a lot better to know that it's gone to a Starcraft enthusiast who will possibly restore her and keep her well or a family with kids out there having a blast with her during the summers and the kids are getting to have all the fun and learn all the things that I did growing up with her.

Last edited: