Starcraft mfg. nomenclature plate

utfyrfytr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone tell me where I should be able to find the manufacturers nomenclature information plate? It is an 18' fiberglass and I would like to find out what model it is. Thanks

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Posting a picture would help out a lot with identifying the boat in question.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Often on the side of a console, around the remote/throttle or on the transom.

Pix would certainly help.

utfyrfytr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I take a couple of pictures today and see if I can figure out how to post them. Computers are not my friends!!

utfyrfytr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, I will try to download these pictures.

Looks like it may have worked:) I didn't expect you guys to ID the boat for me but if you can that is great. Thanks for all of the help. Oh on the registration it says it is a 1970. Thanks again!!

utfyrfytr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
PICT0011_zps7ibzhaew.jpg
PICT0014_zpsdxzmiv0w.jpg
PICT0013_zpsry6pe3qe.jpg
PICT0009_zpsymf0qbvn.jpg

This might work. Thanks again

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
that thing is clean lookin thats for sure! I cant help with the model though.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Yeah, nice looking glasser! Based on the emblem, I'd say it's a Riviera, but...Starcraft only looks to have a Riviera model in the 60's and they were the lapstrake looking hulls, not smooth like the boat pictured.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
quick google search

1973-17-Starcraft-Riviera

1-1973-17-Starcraft-Riviera-Auction-Eureka-Montana-Montana.jpg

Looks like a smooth one here.

Last edited:

MNhunter1

Ensign
quick google search

1973-17-Starcraft-Riviera

Looks like a smooth one here.

Splashwell is different, notice the hump at the stern. Some of the early 70's Starcraft glassers look similar, but browsing the brochures, none were named Riviera.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Splashwell is different, notice the hump at the stern. Some of the early 70's Starcraft glassers look similar, but browsing the brochures, none were named Riviera.

I saw that, so I was wondering maybe someone took that glove box door and starcraft emblems and put on another model. Maybe its a prototype that some exec had built too?

Have you tried contacting starcraft and seeing if they can help?

utfyrfytr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I sent them an email last fall when I bought the boat but never heard back. Since I have the pictures now I will send them another email and attach the pictures and see what happens. The first email I just asked about the Riviera name on the storage door.
Thanks again guys

jbcurt00

Staff member
Unfortunately, SC isn't known for great customer support directly. They may not ever respond to an email and if they do it's likely to be a referral a local dealer.

Good luck

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
The hull is the same as on my 1976 Starcraft American. Designed by Waltman B. Walters, longtime marine architect of several prominent offshore V hull designs back in the day. The Merc 1000 appears to be a 1969 model, and though it's possible it's not original to the boat, it may very well be. Starcraft had the plain coloring at that time, too.

I'm going with the V-180 model, possibly 1970 (as I think 1969 still had the "lap" side look), which was the predecessor to the American series that came out in 1972. Same hull mold, slightly different deck molds. Walters designed that basic hull that Starcraft would use for the next couple generations of fiberglass 14 to 20 ft. V-hull runabouts, through the Medalist series of the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Last edited:

MNhunter1

Ensign
The hull is the same as on my 1976 Starcraft American. Designed by Waltman B. Walters, longtime marine architect of several prominent offshore V hull designs back in the day. The Merc 1000 appears to be a 1969 model, and though it's possible it's not original to the boat, it may very well be. Starcraft had the plain coloring at that time, too.

I'm going with the V-180 model, possibly 1970 (as I think 1969 still had the "lap" side look), which was the predecessor to the American series that came out in 1972. Same hull mold, slightly different deck molds. Walters designed that basic hull that Starcraft would use for the next couple generations of fiberglass 14 to 20 ft. V-hull runabouts, through the Medalist series of the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Who needs Starcraft customer support when Chinewalker is around! Bravo!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Yep
I hear he's pretty handy to have around for vintage OB work too ;)

Wait 'til CW pulls out his wallet to show off his "baby" pics. Some are unique! :smile:

Oh - The boat ID. I believe CW nailed it.