Finally.....1972 Starcraft Chieftain OB

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
If I were to guess, the button puts it into gear. If you don't push the button, you can throttle up/down while-in neutral (or vice-versa).

If the button put it or out of gear then it would not need a warm up lever, it would be like a control that pulls out the shift lever to make it only advance throttle like my Chief has..

It may be worth mentioning that you're not supposed to put it in gear while on muffs. Correct me if I'm wrong, guys...just something I remember hearing/reading and have since observed.

Yeah you can put the motor in gear on the muffs at an idle but done revv the sucker up and make sure no kids or dogs are around. Oh and be sure the muffs go on from the front! ;)

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
If you mean the white button in front of the warm-up lever, it's a reverse lock. Here is a parts diagram that I hope you never need.

#62 is the reverse lock.

Bam. There ya go. So this is like a mechanical double-throw switch.

imnewatthis

Cadet
Well, got her started up :joyous:!! Very exciting to hear her rumble. Thanks GA_Boater, for the schematic. I switched her into forward gear...gave a little throttle...smooth...switched her into reverse...also works. So I figured out all the controls...besides one..anyone know what the "throttle friction" knob does? Also, today I was cleaning out all the stuff in the boxes from the previous owner, and I found this VHF radio....is this thing obsolete??? Can I still use it? Also, there are 2 planer boards that fell between the seat and side wall, sitting just far enough away that my short hands cant reach...I have to figure a way to get them....hmm....need to grow some longer arms or get one of them extending picker-upper thingy...we shall see...

20150326_152530.jpg

20150328_2035001.jpg

Last edited:

imnewatthis

Cadet
BTW, I couldn't stand the door knob - it didn't work as smooth as I wanted and was sticking. So...I took it off the door and sanded her down, primed, and sprayed it in a metallic silver(gun metal look), I will lubricate it once the paint dries.....anyone have any experience with those Rustoleum "Chrome" sprays? Do that work good?

36b2b975-0358-4364-ac9c-7b2f855572a2.jpg

Last edited:

Watermann

Sweet she's alive! hey wait wheres our, I mean your video of the ole beast roaring to life?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
AH - The smell of two stroke! :D The friction knob is adjusted so the throttle has some drag on it so it holds position. If it's too loose, once you put it at a certain rpm like for cruising, the throttle might move back toward idle. So it's another knob to play with. :smile:

One of us used some Rusto "Chrome" on some bow lights and wasn't impressed.

I'm not familiar with that model VHF, but other than all the bells and whistles on the new ones, if it transmits and receives, it's good. The newer ones do some good features like location in case of emergency. I would say using it is your call and where you plan on floating.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Like GA said, if that VHF functions I'd use it. It looks to have everything but DSC/GPS.

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but for peace of mind I'd change the plugs, water pump and gear oil on the outboard. Other than that, you should be good if it runs smoothly. Congrats on having a running engine!

dozerII

Admiral
Nice to see you got it running, but without a video, did it really happen:D;) when you change the gear oil on an electric shift make sure you use type C oil.

imnewatthis

Cadet
Nice to see you got it running, but without a video, did it really happen:D;) when you change the gear oil on an electric shift make sure you use type C oil.

LOL, maybe next time ill attempt to make a video and post it, anyways thanks - ill be looking for that special type C in the stores today. Its raining/snowing so what better way to spend it then shopping.

imnewatthis

Cadet
I'm back. I have started to work on her. To be honest, life has gotten in the way but now I am ready to tackle this thing by the horns. Sorry for not updating sooner, but I wanted it to be a surprise!

I started tearing the boat apart...following all of your wonderful restore threads...big thanks to everyone! I did run into a little problem with removing the front plexi-glass windshield - so some direction in that is greatly appreciated. I got the flooring all installed - 3 pieces joined together with epoxied wood supports ( sorry forgot to take picture) then marine nautolex glued on. My lovely wife and my brother both helped me lift the one piece flooring onto the boat. All looks really good. It's getting late, will update more tomorrow.

20150409_1151511.jpg

Here she is under my car port, starting my tear down:

20150409_1151421.jpg

Disassembly of 18 gallon fuel tank and hoses:

20150415_1644051.jpg

Floor and foam removed:

20150518_0850011.jpg

Motor removed/ Removing glue from the sides / started stripping paint:

20150518_0850081.jpg

New walls in place:

20150521_1630441.jpg

One piece flooring glued:

20150525_1508371.jpg

MNhunter1

Ensign
Looking good! So tell me, how difficult was it to manipulate the one piece flooring into place? I've been tempted to do the same, but didn't know if it would be more effort than it's worth, or a challenge to find the stringers/supports for the rivets.

Watermann

Thanks for the update, I was having Chief withdrawals! Looks to me like you'll be on the water pretty soon.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Good to see your still hard at it on the Chief. The floor looks good. Keep plugging away and you'll have her back in the water in no time.