1977 StarCraft 18' SS restore

dozerII

Admiral
What Rob said that usually works really well so long as you can still reach the winch.

Decker83

Commander
Nice trailer swap!

Congrats!

Thanks jbcurt..

I like this one the best, I'm surprised it didn't get edited, :D a nice trailer taking an itchy poop;)

Nice job on the switch, I would recommend taking of the outer bunks let the hull set on the center ones check for clearance, if all is good re-drill the outer bunks to the proper height and you should be golden.

Big ole poop is right..
I was thinking the same thing.. Need to find a way to block up the hull until I get the bunks off.. Thanks

Ahe yeah the leapfrog method of trailer swapping, sure beats the "Sig way" where you drop the freshly painted boat onto the ground from an excavator boom! Wonder where Sig's been anyway?

I would try just unhooking the dilly from the rig and let the winch drag that trailer up underneath the old glasser (you may need a ladder to be able to turn the winch handle at some point) and then hook it back up and winch strap the POS down for the ride to the dump.

Didn't see how Sig did it.. Will have to go see his thread..
Didn't read the post until tonight.. I thought about doing it this way, but did it a different way.. Have some pics..

Decker83

Commander
Hard to post tonight..:faint2:
Not much on the boat.. Got up this morning and the Admiral had a few things for me to do..:D
Did get the donor on the dilly trailer this morning.. Hooked up the trailer and backed under the glasser until the bow was on the bunks..
Hooked up my chain fall on the bow eye and the trailer winch and started pulling the hull up on the trailer.. Did get a few scratches on the hull..
Here is a few pics..

100_3303.jpg

100_3302.jpg

100_3305.jpg

Put both boats back in the driveway and mowed the grass and took the Admiral out..
Think I need to get the bunks fixed next and then onto the big hole in the transom..

Hope everyone has a fast and prosperous week..

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Congrats swapping a glasser off a decent trailer and onto a similar but not as nice trailer nearly bested me about a month ago. It was a LOT of water weight. And the warm weather didn't help. Left axle deep tire ruts 7ft deep in the yard.

So ya done good and had enough gas in the tank to mow the yard after. The happy Admiral saying comes to mind, esp w/ the added dinner after ;)

dozerII

Admiral
The glasser all mounted up on it's hearse, waiting for it's final ride:D:thumb:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sorry you added some scratches to the glasser. No tears to my eyes. :D

Good job on getting the yard cleared for grass cutting.

Decker83

Commander
Congrats swapping a glasser off a decent trailer and onto a similar but not as nice trailer nearly bested me about a month ago. It was a LOT of water weight. And the warm weather didn't help. Left axle deep tire ruts 7ft deep in the yard.

So ya done good and had enough gas in the tank to mow the yard after. The happy Admiral saying comes to mind, esp w/ the added dinner after ;)

The transom did tear up the grass.. Left a small rut about 5' by 6" wide..
The Admiral did like seeing the transfer.. One step closer to getting rid of the donor..:D

good job!

Thanks hayko..

The glasser all mounted up on it's hearse, waiting for it's final ride:D:thumb:

The Admiral is on me about getting it out of the driveway.. Going to put it up on CL and see what happens..

Sorry you added some scratches to the glasser. No tears to my eyes. :D
Good job on getting the yard cleared for grass cutting.

Thanks GA_Boater.. That was my thoughts too.. Just let the trailer slide right under the old donor and oh well...:eek:

Love the tires on that trailer. :eek:

Don't think those tires will make it out of my driveway.. :laugh:

Decker83

Commander
Didn't get much done on the boat this week.. Got out this morning and lowered the 2 outside bunks.. The 2 inside bunks look good but the angle is off a little..
I think I will have enough play in the mounts to correct it..
Found some aluminum I had left over from my deck boat to make a plug for the transom.. It's 5052 by 090 thick.. Use my band saw to cut a piece about 1" lager
than the hole.. Drilled a 3/8" hole in the center and put a 6" by 3/8" bolt in it so I could hold it in place while I marked the opening..

I had some 4043 aluminum welding rods left over from another project, so I used them to tack and weld in the plug..
Had the welder set to hot for the first tack and burned a hole.. Made some adjustments and it worked a little better.. The rods or old and the flux doesn't want to burn right..
Had some warpage but I think I can pull it out..

Here are some pic's..

100_3306.jpg

100_3307_1.jpg

If the weather and the Admiral let me, I'll do some more tomorrow..

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey Deck - It's not too late to change your mind and put the White Leg O'Death back in. Well, it was too late when she left the factory. :eek: Lookin' good! :thumb:

Decker83

Commander
Hey Deck - It's not too late to change your mind and put the White Leg O'Death back in. Well, it was too late when she left the factory. :eek: Lookin' good! :thumb:
All most didn't buy it because of the Leg O'Death..
It does look better with that big ole hole filled in..

Looking good Deck, what are you using to weld?
Thanks dozerll..
I'm using a arc dc reverse polarity e4043 aluminum welding rod.. It can be used with a DC welding machine..
I was going to take it to my uncles shop and tig weld it, but his shop is 50 miles one way from the house.. Had a few of these rods left over
from another project and decided to use them.. Unfortunately I ran out before I finished..

Hope everyone has a fantastic week..:hat:

dozerII

Admiral
Thanks Deck, I gotta get a tig, I'm so sick of battling with my spool gun.

Decker83

Commander
Thanks Deck, I gotta get a tig, I'm so sick of battling with my spool gun.

I have been looking for a good deal on a mig with a aluminum spool gun.. Can't justify the cost against the use.. The tigs or even higher..
In my early 20's I was in the sheet metal union here and used them all..

Decker83

Commander
Ok gentlemen.. I bought a piece of 5052 aluminum 24"x 48" x 3/16" (.188) Need help on what size solid rivet to use.. Was thinking on the counter sink 3/8" Dia. by 5/8" long.. Any and all help is welcome.. Going to counter sink on the inside of transom.. I could also use SS screws on the outside of transom with locktite and grind off any protruding part of the screw on the inside..
Any ideals guys?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Solid rivets for sure. My advice is a brazier head and the size should be 3/16" dia in 2117 alloy. Length should be figured by the material thickness so .188 for the stock and .100 for the transom and round up to.300. 3/8" is .375 so I would go with the 7/16" for length.

I get my rivets here... http://rivetsonline.com/solid-alumin...2-to-3-16.html

Decker83

Commander
Solid rivets for sure. My advice is a brazier head and the size should be 3/16" dia in 2117 alloy. Length should be figured by the material thickness so .188 for the stock and .100 for the transom and round up to.300. 3/8" is .375 so I would go with the 7/16" for length.

I get my rivets here... http://rivetsonline.com/solid-alumin...2-to-3-16.html

Thanks watermann..
I wasn't sure about the Dia. of the rivet.. Called the company and they said to use the same rivet but 9/16" long.. So they sold 1/2" or 5/8".. I went with the 1/2"..
The shipping was $3.00 more than the rivets..:eek:
Hope to get all the materials in by the weekend so I can get'er done with the big hole in the arse..

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah they charge a minimum for shipping that is pretty high when buying just a box that's why I also picked up blinds too. Needed some large flange rivets for the deck, counter sunk rivets for adding on stuff and regular blind rivets in a couple sizes.