It begins

jbcurt00

Staff member
The sheets all follow the contour of the hull on the bottom, so a rip fence like on a table saw isnt real practical, but the hit knife has been used successfully. I think Grandad used an electric train transformer and built a fairly large hoop out of plywood for his hot knife.

No need to laminate/glue the stacked sheets together, IMO. Unless you are using the foam structurally like Jasoutside did building his Sea Nymph 's rear bench. By gluing the foam he could use thinner/lighter plywood for the top and sides of the bench, which IIRC he glued to the foam structure too. Man, we miss that guy.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Did you glue the pieces together? Or are they just stacked in there?

They're stacked in tightly but water could still get through. You start off with this stuff thinking all about how to cut it and I can tell you this. That 2' foam board is seriously tough and I can't imagine how long it would take to cut with a hot wire but the saw I can, it eats right though that stuff. Downside it's messy! So do it out in the yard.

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
happened to be at Rona today, I look over and there's a roll of decking vinyl! So I grabbed 20 feet of it. No shipping charge woo hoo. I looked on line just last night and shipping was going to be $105!! I feel like I got lucky.

hayko1971

Also popped a few rivets in the floor support tying to the ribs. I used 3/16 aluminum rivets with aluminum mandrels. 1/4" grip range. I sure do like that rivet pneumatic rivet gun!! Pops them suckers like nothing!

hayko1971

I planned to pressure wash it out today also, but it appears I have no gas! Lol
So after a good washing, I'll be ready to flip it and start stripping... Hope the temps improve, it's getting warmer, but not yet warm enough for stripping (insert jokes here).
Cheers fellas!

Watermann

Nice score on the vinyl, it's always nice just to cruise along the bottom and pick up some yummy tidbits along the way!

Looks like your snow isn't long for this world, gather up your stripper supplies and be ready for that nice warm sunny day. Heck I've stripped paint in November outdoors.

Cue the music and get some strip action going! bow chicka wow wow :lol: :eek: :faint2:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nice score on the vinyl.

Good luck getting the paint off, i wont use the S word.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW the picture of your project with the snow along side of it sure does bring back memories when I still lived in PA as a young boy. Hope it melts away soon and you can work your boat project without freezing. Good find on the vinyl. :thumb:

hayko1971

Went over the inside with a pressure washer, scrubbed it with dish soap and bleach, then hit it with the pressure washer again. It's better than it was for sure. I'm just going to re vinyl, or carpet the inside walls where the contact cement is still bonded, can I just go over top of the old scrubbed glue? When it comes time for Gluvit, I'll hit the rivets with a wire brush or flap disk or something... But that's a ways off yet.
I think I'm ready to flip!

hayko1971

well I've decided to try and get all that old glue out of there, looks like I've got a bit of a chore ahead of me tonight.

Watermann

Don't get all weak in the knees over a little bit of crusted on like concrete carpet glue. :lol:

Try some Xylene or MEK, both are adhesive reducers and if applied liberally will soften that stuff up. I used a garden sprayer to remove a ton of glue from my trailer, putting some on a rag and wiping won't do it. I know that it's less than favorable to try and glue material over the top of old dried up bumpy glue

Once flipped really check the rib ends close for ANY cracking at the rivets, most of the 16'rs haven't had much trouble but after seeing your knee brace one never knows how long the boat was ran when compromised with rotten wood.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
imagesCATSMM3E.jpg

These work pretty good for me on stuff. Maybe it will chew that glue off for you too.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Aircraft paint remover and a putty knife took it right off for me. I used the Klean-Strip brand.

hayko1971

Took a few hours this eve to clean off the contact cement, that job is not fun!
First I tried a rough disk and a flap disk... They were much too abrasive for me and I worried about removing too much aluminum...

Then came the MEK and scraping/rag. It worked a little better, but still not great. it was slow and tedious and difficult to get under the gunwales...

I then fell upon a method that worked very well for me, and incredibly fast!!

MEK in a spray bottle, spritz it on the glue then attack it with a nylon bristle cup brush on a drill. Glue comes off like it's not even there!
And I was able to get the brush up under the gunwales.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Some how I missed this one. Great start on another SS resto, hayko.

Back to your cracked/broken knee brace trauma. Often when the transom gets bad enough to crack the braces, the splashwell ends up being the main support for everything. This can lead to cracks in the splashwell, usually in the corners. Just one more thing to check.

Hope it warms up for you.

hayko1971

And because there are many paint stripping videos, but I've never seen a glue stripping video...

http://youtu.be/dcglQVTCyHc

Sorry about the audio, I just threw on my snowmobile helmet cam to video that lol

Last edited: